Thread: Rona Ready to Play in Front of the Sea of Blue

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Rona Ready to Play in Front of the Sea of Blue

He was an unstoppable force in the National Rugby League (NRL) and after concluding his career with the Canterbury Bulldogs two weeks ago new Western Force recruit Curtis Rona can’t wait to begin his next chapter in Perth.

Rona who signed a two year deal with the Force in August, was a try scoring machine in the NRL crossing for 40 tries in 57 appearances and the dynamic back says he is eager to get started with the Western Australian club.

“I’m very excited for what the future holds for me at the Force,” he said. “I’m looking forward to helping the team move in the right direction, hopefully I can come in and do my job, make a difference and give back to the Perth community who really love their rugby.”

“I’m keen to get straight in the mix as soon as my contact starts with the Force and I’ll be pushing myself to get ready for a massive season of Super Rugby.”

Born in New Zealand, raised in Perth, Rona was a member of the Western Force Academy before switching to rugby league and after three full seasons in the NRL says he is confident he can make the transition back to union.

“It will be testing obviously coming from another sport and it will be a big challenge to make my mark in Super Rugby but I’m fully confident in my ability, I know what I can do and I’ll back myself 100-percent each time.”

“If I have players around me that are striving to be better each week then that will be great for us as a team.

“Being from Perth I know a lot of Western Australians take a lot of pride from wearing that blue jersey, I’ve had calls from friends saying it will be great to have me back west so I can’t wait to get started.”

The 24-year-old flyer has been in regular contact with newly appointed Western Force head coach Dave Wessels to prepare himself for the next stage of his career.

“I’ve been in speaking with Dave (Wessels) a lot especially since he was appointed head coach. We have been speaking pretty much every week about what is going on, what the plan is and the environment that I’m going to be coming into.”

“From what Dave has been telling me it all sounds really promising and there are going to be some big changes in the team for 2017.”

Rona has been keeping a close eye on the Perth Spirit and some of his new teammates in the Buildcorp National Rugby Championship.

“The changes have already started in the Perth Spirit with the team picking up some wins there so it just builds my excitement for what’s ahead.”

“Watching the Spirit games is helping me start to get back my rugby bearings, begin my study and start learning about the guys I will be playing with at the Force and I’m looking forward to starting to build combinations with those guys.”

Standing at 194cm and weighing in at 102kg Rona played the majority of his rugby league career on the wing but was also used in the centres for the Bulldogs this season and is open to playing across the backline with the Force.

“We’ve spoken a bit about where I might be playing, obviously in the centres and on the wing are some options and I played a bit of fullback in the past. We will wait and see, first I need to get into training and learn the structures at the Force so that’s the first priority.”

Rona will get his first taste of his new club this weekend when he flies into Perth for a family event.

“I’m actually going to be back in the Perth this weekend for my sister-in-law’s baby shower, so hopefully while I’m in town I can catch up with Dave (Wessels), a few of the players, check out the facilities and start getting ready for life with the Western Force.”

Don’t miss out on your chance to see Rona in action at the ‘Force Field’ (nib Stadium) this season by renewing your membership HERE!

https://www.westernforce.com.au/rona...front-sea-blue

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Bloody Mungo!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Bloody Mungo!
    I fully agree - right up until he scores a brace or 7 tries in a season, when he'll become "You bloody beauty"!

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Another great acquisition, his roots are in union, give him time to refresh and adapt, and I think he will be the finisher (as well as Mozza) that we need to go along with Meakes' breaking the line and getting go forward for the outside backs.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Bloody Mungo!
    Respect for him, he doesn't seem to be under the assumption that he's starting for the wallabies on spring tour and he has at least identified a need for transition (which is interesting as he seems to have been involved in elite rugby only three or so years ago) On the strength of that I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt

C'mon the