Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Force Future Bright: Coleman

Champion
    vCash

Force Future Bright: Coleman

Wallabies lock Adam Coleman is confident the Western Force has a future in Super Rugby, despite reports that an Australian side could be on the chopping block in years to come.

SANZAAR is currently completing a review into the Super Rugby structure and a number of competition formats are reportedly being looked at, including reducing the number of Australian teams.

The Western Force entered an alliance agreement with the ARU this season, to get out of financial troubles and have struggled for on-field success, with just two wins in 2016.

Coleman is one of two Western Force players who have debuted for the Wallabies this season, along with Dane Haylett-Petty and both have quickly entrenched themselves in the team, while winger Luke Morahan also made his Test return in June.

When asked if he thought there was a danger of the Force being shut down, Coleman was blunt.

“Not at all,” he said.

“There’s a massive future for WA Rugby.”

The 24-year-old said it was reflective of the pathways at the club that he was able to find the success he has so far at Test level, shouldering the lineout calling responsibilities in just his second Test.

With Dave Wessels stepping up to the coaching plate in 2017, Coleman said he was optimistic about his club’s progress.

“I think the Western Force is a great club, it’s very exciting to have Dave Wessels as the new coach and it’s going to be an exciting season next year, the boys building in preseason under Dave and some other new coaches supporting him.”

Coleman’s transition into Test rugby has been seamless, his abrasive approach winning him supporters, and he said it was down to a ‘no fear’ mindset.

“I think one of my things is never fearing failure so I try not to doubt myself as much as possible,” he said.

“ As soon as I put that jersey on, I don’t want to doubt myself and I really try and play my own game and do my role for the team.”

That strategy appears to be working well for Coleman, who has become somewhat of a constant in the revolving door of Wallabies second rowers this season.

“I’ve really been enjoying it,” he said.

“It’s something I’ve always liked doing is testing myself against the best and let the cards fall how they may and I’m really enjoying it.”

“For a young guy coming in, he’s hit three big Test matches in a row, taking the responsibility of calling,” he said.

“He made good hits, very physical and I’ve really enjoyed his play so far and the more he’ll get under his belt, the more he’ll be able to get through.”

The Wallabies have a week off, travelling to South Africa next week ahead of an October 1 Test against the Springboks.

http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2016/09...orce-wallabies

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Great article and yet another player that has managed to rise through the ranks thanks to the existence of the Force.

Great acknowledgement of that by Adam, and yet another player backing the Wessels appointment.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    More on Adam going in to bat for us

EMERGING Wallabies lock Adam Coleman has added a passionate voice to the fight for a long-term future in Perth for the battling Western Force.

The soaring 2.04m pillar may just be the best advertisement for the Force’s future because he has made the jump so strongly to Test level.

His three seasons as a Force fixture have given him the platform for the impact he is now making in the gold jersey and he has signed on for a further season next year.

Foxsports.com.au

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Champion
    vCash
    The Force has completely changed the rugby landscape in WA. We are seeing young guys coming through the pathways making their mark all across Australia. Jooste and Godwin at the Brumbies, Ah Nau at the Rebels, Lacey and Ngamanu playing for Brisbane in the NRC, Rona and Blake in the NRL, DHP, RHP, Burton, Koteka, Hardwick, Scoble, Ainsley, Rangi, Louwrens, Vasukicakau and Havili at the Force and Spirit. Our junior state teams, once the whipping boys of the national championships, now being very competitive against NSW, Qld and ACT. We even have referees making their mark too. We have test match rugby in Perth.
    Even the robust (sic) debate of TWF has come about because of thd Force. Scrapping the Force now would reverse all of the progress this sport has made over the last 11 years. It would be a massive blow to rugby in this state if super rugby was taken away.
    We saw in 2014 that if the Force win a few games the crowds come back. Management took a drastic step to ensure a stronger financial footing, one that will eventually lead to the other franchises following suit and the ARU having a centralized franchise model. This step was taken basically because for a franchise to make money it needs 12 to 14 home games to sell a year to do so. 7 or 8 games to sell isn't enough. 7 or 8 games to sell would work if every team averaged a home crowd of 45 000. The ARU's supposed windfall from the tv rights deal is a myth, they need triple the money they received.

Having said all that, the main problem facing Super Rugby is the same one that has been the ball and chain for the past 5 years, even longer really, is the South African Rugby Union. Using their financial clout to get a competition structure they wanted, a Super Rugby team in Port Elizabeth to even out their racial quotas, led SANZAAR to look for extra revenue streams, Argentina and Japan, intstead of consolidating the competition first then expanding. Super 15 was the right model. 5 teams from each country works best. Its a fair staring point for all involved, trouble is it only lasted 4 years then we got Super 18. SANZAAR was onto good thing with the 15 team structure. It needed consolidating, time to settle and get established. Why SANZAAR then appointed itself to do World Rugbys job and develop Argentina and Japan rugby is baffling. Most Argentine players were getting opportunities in northern hemisphere rugby but SANZAAR, led by the SARU, wanted to expand too quickly. SA must have an extra team! Thats the smartest thing NZ and Aus have done in a while. You want extra teams, fine they are your problem. 2 African conferences. And what a clusterfuck its turned into. One year in and now they threaten to remove an Australian team because South Africa got greedy and made a mess of a perfectly good competition? What a joke. Japan should have been eased in through the Mitre 10 cup or NRC, not put straight into Super Rugby. Argentine players should have stayed playing in Europe with a development team playing Currie Cup, which they have.
    Australia has finally got its pathways in order with the Super U/20s and the NRC, both competitions need some time to breath and get established, then be expanded upon. This is what the ARU is doing right. This what NZ are doing right also with their pathways. This is what South Africa is doing right with the Currie Cup. Somehow though as a collective, SANZAAR, they are getting it wrong and it is damaging the product. Australia and NZ need to wrestle back the power at SANZAAR level and right the wrongs brought about by a power hungry rogue member, before Super Rugby becomes irrelevant.

11 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    well said Kala
    I've been meaning to for a while now write a, for want of a better word, article on 'the roar' stating how the Western Force is a complete success.
    And it is, everywhere but on the field.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MI5_Dog View Post
    well said Kala
    I've been meaning to for a while now write a, for want of a better word, article on 'the roar' stating how the Western Force is a complete success.
    And it is, everywhere but on the field.
    Write it here an post a link to the Roar

Player
    vCash
    Send a copy to Wayne Smith so he can learn something.

Champion
    vCash
    Here's another with Adam and Dane from The West
    Nick Taylor - The West Australian on September 19, 2016, 12:27 pm 

Force players insist club can prosper
    Western Force stars involved in the Wallabies' Rugby Championship win over Argentina are confident about the long-term future of their embattled Super Rugby club.

More here
    https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...prosper/#page1

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Sounds to me like the ARU has suddenly realised they might be suffering from a massive credibility gap....

vCash
    Great to see our players now getting involved in the debate.

Two of the best rookies this year, it has to add value to the conversation in the right direction.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    All this positive talk at renewal time may also persuade more people to renew!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Champion
    vCash
    I forgot to add Longbottom, Ollie Hoskins and Zac Holmes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    All this positive talk at renewal time may also persuade more people to renew!
    Every renewal strengthens the argument for keeping the Force, every non-renewal weakens it.

vCash
    I had a chat with Pek yesterday and I must say his enthusiasm for the way the club is going has certainly rubbed of on both of us!
    It does appear that the players are as much in the dark re assistant coaches as we are. Sounding positive re Hodgo. Heath back next week in the NRC and Pek the following week.
    There does appear to be a far more positive vibe coming off the lads and let's hope they can turn that into winning performances!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    I had a chat with Pek yesterday and I must say his enthusiasm for the way the club is going has certainly rubbed of on both of us!
    It does appear that the players are as much in the dark re assistant coaches as we are. Sounding positive re Hodgo. Heath back next week in the NRC and Pek the following week.
    There does appear to be a far more positive vibe coming off the lads and let's hope they can turn that into winning performances!
    Is it enough to convince H to renew???!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast