Morahan waits in wings for Test call

Nick Taylor - The West Australian on September 13, 2016, 8:00 am

Western Force winger Luke Morahan has been called into the Wallabies squad for Saturday night’s Rugby Championship clash with Argentina at nib Stadium — but he may have to oust teammate Dane Haylett-Petty to add to his two Test appearances.

Morahan, who missed last Saturday night’s 23-17 win over South Africa in Brisbane which broke a six-Test losing streak, is one of several players included by coach Michael Cheika.

They include centre Kyle Godwin and props Tom Robertson and Toby Smith.

With Cheika unlikely to move Israel Folau from No.15, Haylett-Petty admits moving from full-back has meant learning a new role quickly.

“I’m probably more confident as a full-back, that’s where I’ve played most of my rugby, but playing on the wing in the long run is going to make me a better full-back.

“The defensive pictures you see are totally different. The defensive side of the game that I’m working on will help me as a full-back.

“It’s going to make me a more complete rugby player.”

Cheika said he would blood at least one new face this weekend.

“We’ve had seven, there’s probably going to be an eighth or ninth debutant this week,” he said. “Tom Robertson hasn’t played, (back-rower) Lopeti Timani was in the wider match squad last week.

“He was unlucky to miss out. Luke Morahan, he just missed out on a wing spot last week. There’s a few guys lurking around.”

But Morahan may struggle to move his teammate.

“Dane has forced his way in there and I think he has really adapted well,” Cheika said.

“The way we play allows him to play a bit of full-back as well as on the edge and show the skills he has, which is good footwork and a good kicking game.

“Right now he’s competing in what is a competitive position that will only get more competitive.”

Cheika is looking for an improved performance against Argentina.

“The quality of our football wasn’t top level on the weekend,” he said. “We just got by.”

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...gentina/#page1