Thread: Cereal an issue for rising Wallabies star

Senior Player
    vCash

Cereal an issue for rising Wallabies star

Cereal an issue for rising Wallabies star

Justin Chadwick - AAP on September 13, 2016, 1:37 pm

He's the 204cm wrecking ball destined for rugby stardom, but the growing aura surrounding Wallabies lock Adam Coleman will be noticeably diminished at the breakfast table this week.

Coleman has been a rare highlight in an otherwise bleak year for the Wallabies, with the 24-year-old showcasing his exciting potential in three appearances for Australia.

The Western Force star scored a try in last week's 23-17 win over South Africa, and he's set to retain his starting spot for Saturday night's Rugby Championship clash with Argentina in Perth.

Coleman's physicality has been a highlight.

But it hasn't all been smooth sailing for Coleman, who required 12 stitches to his lip after copping a heavy knock to the face against the Springboks.

The bulky stitches have made it hard for Coleman to eat since then, but he won't let that affect him when he takes on an Argentinian outfit renowned for their tough approach.

"I can pretty much eat everything - just very slowly. It takes me about an hour to get through a bowl of cereal," Coleman said on Tuesday.

"The straw is my best friend at the moment.

"It will probably split open again (if I cop another hit there).

"But I'll be fine. It's just another stitch. This won't hurt my performance on the weekend."

To the outsider looking in, Coleman's rise has been a meteoric one.

But the 122kg enforcer said it had taken years of hard work to realise his Wallabies dream.

Coleman joined the Brumbies Academy in 2010.

But he didn't make his first Super Rugby appearance until 2013, when he was called up by the NSW Waratahs as an injury replacement.

Coleman was unable to add to his sole Waratahs appearance.

But he has been a fixture in the Force's line-up since 2014, with his strong form catching the attention of Wallabies coach Michael Cheika.

Australia's line-out has been a huge problem area during the Rugby Championship, but Coleman hopes he can be part of the long-term solution.

"I'm still learning. I'm still developing in the line-outs, and that's us as a team too," Coleman said.

"We've got some young guys in our team, and we're growing as a group. We're on the way up there."

Coleman's try against South Africa came about when he sneaked out to the wing and received a looping pass from scrumhalf Will Genia.

"I just saw some space there. I thought I'd go out there and give it a shot," he said.

"I think I've only scored one try at Super level, let alone Test level. I'm just loving every moment playing for Australia."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...es-lock/#page1

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    He has a huge future ahead of him. So proud that it was the Force and not the Tahs or Brumbs that made him into a Wallaby :-))

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    He has a huge future ahead of him. So proud that it was the Force and not the Tahs or Brumbs that made him into a Wallaby :-))
    True but I'm sure the media will refer to him as the ex-Waratahs lock.....

vCash
    ...."Tasmanian Lock Adam Coleman".

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    ...."Tasmanian Lock Adam Coleman".
    That's so annoying!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
    True but I'm sure the media will refer to him as the ex-Waratahs lock.....
    Not in The West
    Coleman stands tall as Wallabies enforcer
    Nick Taylor - The West Australian on September 14, 2016, 10:37 am
    Western Force knew they had a future leader in their squad two years ago.
    When the 2014 Super Rugby campaign was launched in Sydney, the Force were not willing to see their coach and captain miss two days of training with the season just a week away.
    Instead, they sent rookie second-rower Adam Coleman to front the media as the face of the Force.
    Yesterday the towering second-rower was back in front of the cameras — this time as a Wallaby, who has already been handed crucial responsibility as a line-out caller despite boasting just three Test caps.

More here
    https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...nforcer/#page1

Champion
    vCash
    Yeah, just going to have to let the eastern state media learn what we already knew when he first came over on a training contract, the guy can play. Good humble guy too. May he one day assume the mantle of the best lock the Force has had, sorry Sharpie.

Dane and Adam are going to bring back so much to the Force playing group for 2017 with the experience gained playing Test rugby this year. With the new approach to fitness that's been identified and the shift in skills focus as we have seen from the way the Spirit are offloading and moving the ball at pace, I think we may be on the right track to be an entertaining rugby team next year. Just maybe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahard View Post
    Yeah, just going to have to let the eastern state media learn what we already knew when he first came over on a training contract, the guy can play. Good humble guy too. May he one day assume the mantle of the best lock the Force has had, sorry Sharpie.

Dane and Adam are going to bring back so much to the Force playing group for 2017 with the experience gained playing Test rugby this year. With the new approach to fitness that's been identified and the shift in skills focus as we have seen from the way the Spirit are offloading and moving the ball at pace, I think we may be on the right track to be an entertaining rugby team next year. Just maybe.
    I hope that what we're seeing actually does transfer over to the Force. We saw the Spirit play well the past few seasons but never get carried through to Super Rugby which was really frustrating. I just hope Wessels has learnt some hard lessons and taken note!

Senior Player
    vCash
    This is cereal-usly one of my favourite articles this week.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    I hope that what we're seeing actually does transfer over to the Force. We saw the Spirit play well the past few seasons but never get carried through to Super Rugby which was really frustrating. I just hope Wessels has learnt some hard lessons and taken note!
    I think the difference this year is that the Spirit have been given the OK to try and play as a team, rather than using the NRC as an extended pre-season for the Force. It has had a couple of effects

It has shown that we do have a pretty reasonable standard of club rugby over here, with our clubbies holding their own against pretty much everybody so far (other than the Rays)

Dwayne Nestor has proven an ability to coach a rugby team effectively, they have shown some different styles of play (or are perhaps developing their style of play) but it has been generally effective in getting the job done.

Perth players are able to offload, pass, run, play attacking rugby and defend effectively

There are some bloody good players running around the club scene who need to be in talks with the Force, not necessarily about a full contract tomorrow, but about a pathway/Academy deal. Guys like Manihera Eden, Shambekler Vui and Onehunga Havili (among others) should be on the "retain at all costs" list, We are starting to see that local boys will give a lot more loyalty than imports and, for the most part, they're as good or better than the fringe players we can get from Sydney.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    ...local boys will give a lot more loyalty than imports and, for the most part, they're as good or better than the fringe players we can get from Sydney.
    It should be Western Force policy to NEVER bring in a fringe player from Sydney, to ALWAYS promote from local comp.

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor