NAUDE WESSELS CHASING DREAM WITH FUTURE FORCE

By Luke Worthington

It may have seemed like it was going to be another day at school for 16-year-old Naude Wessels as he woke up on an April morning in Cape Town, South Africa.

His school, Paarl Gimnasium is perhaps one of the most successful rugby schools in the world having produced Springboks in Jean De Villiers, Handre Pollard and Marius Jobert.

But that day in April of 2015 would be far from normal, not knowing that a trip to the Western Force’s Captain’s Run would change his life and rugby career forever.

“One day I had the opportunity to skip school and go watch the Force during their Captain’s Run while they were in Cape Town,” he said.

“I went down and I was like a little boy scared of everything sitting there in the stands watching the boys and I was asked if I wanted to join in training.

“I couldn’t say no to the opportunity, the boys took me in as a young guy and I learnt so much in just one day from everyone.”

“They were just so welcoming from the beginning, from there I just kept in contact with them, had a meeting with Mark [RugbyWA CEO Mark Sinderberry] on the Sunday and then last year got an agreement to come over for the Future Force Foundation, so I took it with two hands.”

Naude said the transition between his school system and the Future Force was made easier due the two programs coinciding values.

“The stuff they teach you at Paal, it’s not just rugby, they help you with everything outside rugby too,” he explained.

“Around the complex here on the walls it says you have to earn respect, I’m the youngest guy here and the respect I brought over from Paal has helped me so much.

“I just know these are bigger guys who have achieved much more than me. I have to respect these guys who have achieved so much, you have to respect them and step back and watch and learn.

“To earn respect, you do it while playing the game as a young guy. I played Premier Grade this year with Associates and you have to do stuff you don’t usually do and show the guys you can step up and prove yourself.

“The school just helped me so much coming over from South Africa to here.”

The 18-year-old nicknamed ‘Noddy’ spoke fondly of the experienced group of players surrounding him and praised the staff who helped take his game to the next level.

“Last year and throughout my entire rugby career I was a fullback, then I came here and had to make the shift from fullback to flyhalf,” he continued.

“To be honest, I can’t believe I ever played fullback because I enjoy flyhalf so much.

“Especially with guys like Jono [Lance] and Bash [Peter Grant], you learn a lot.

“I actually have a photo at home, it’s me as a little boy standing there with Peter Grant, and now I have the opportunity to train under him and it’s just awesome. Now that I’ve said it out loud I just can’t believe it,” he said laughing.

“I learn from the big boys. They do something, you watch and learn and try put it in your own game,” he proceeded.

“With a guy like Jono, we usually kick together outside and if I have a question I’m not afraid to ask him to help me out, he will always give me a helping hand.”

After joining the Future Force, Naude saw his range of opportunities in rugby increase drastically, subsequently resulting in him travelling to Mauritius to play with the Force’s World Club 10’s winning side.

“There were big guys, guys you usually watch on the TV and all of a sudden I have to play against them,” he remarked.

“It was great to get to know the guys better and get to know a few of the club guys that came in.

“Every guy in the squad has caught the eye of the coaches and you see them, they’re guys you’ve played against in the Premier Grade and you think ‘these guys are really good’ and now you’re playing with them.

“I was really unlucky with injuries; I did my wrist ligament in the second game after two minutes on the field against the Brumbies.

“When we played the final, I remember Kane Koteka the captain said ‘boys come on, ‘Noddy’ worked hard for this, he got an unlucky injury so let’s go out and do it for him’ and that really meant a lot.

“I’m 18-years-old and for the captain of a world championship winning team to say that just meant so much. In the end, just to walk out with the team and lift the trophy felt amazing.”

Continuing to talk about his life in Perth, Naude said he couldn’t go past mentioning his ‘Future Force Family’ who made the transition between countries almost seamless.

“They make me feel at home, making biltong in the house and stuff like that,” he said laughing.

“It’s awesome, you feel at home. I really feel like I hit the jackpot with them and I can almost call them my own family.

“My Force Dad Andrew is so energetic, he doesn’t want us sitting still and wants us to get out and be active.

“Caroline too, her cooking is just amazing, it’s up there with the best so that’s helping me put on muscle. It’s just top notch.”

Looking ahead Naude says he is focused on being the best he can be.

“My life goal is to just be the best rugby player I can and wherever that takes me, it takes me,” he said.

“I feel in the program I’m in at the moment with the Force I’m getting so many opportunities, it’s going to help me a lot and it already has both on the field and off the field with my leadership.

“To play Super Rugby for the Force would be awesome, but it’s not just going to happen overnight.

“It’s hard work and I’m happy to do that so I can make it one day.

“I love rugby and I’m enjoying my rugby so the Force is giving me every opportunity to do that and I’m very happy with that.”

https://www.westernforce.com.au/arti...m-future-force

Let us not forget there is a bright future for the force, especially with the talent coming through the future force (which the ARU funds by the way if anyone believes the ARU is not committed to the force). Lets also not forget about the great stories that happen off the field like this one.