Thread: Wallabies reinforce backs stocks in Rugby Championship squad

Senior Player
    vCash

Wallabies reinforce backs stocks in Rugby Championship squad

The Wallabies have moved to shore up their outside back stocks, bringing Luke Morahan and Henry Speight into a 33-man squad, announced on Sunday.

The pair are two of five inclusions in the latest squad, for Rugby Championship Tests against South Africa and Argentina, in Brisbane and Perth, along with Kyle Godwin, Rory Arnold and Sefa Naivalu.

The five replace injured trio Matt Giteau (ankle), Matt Toomua (concussion) and Rob Horne (shoulder) while Ben McCalman has also been ruled out after continuing to struggle with a scapula injury he suffered in June.

Morahan has been training as part of a wider squad through the Rugby Championship but hasn’t played a Test since June, while Speight comes into the squad after a stint with the Sevens squad, including a trip to Rio.

Godwin trained alongside the Wallabies squad ahead of the June series but hasn’t been an official inclusion since the 2014 Spring Tour.

The 24-year-old has been impressive for the Force this season, though is reportedly set for a move in 2017 to the Brumbies.

Drew Mitchell remains in the squad, despite battling in his recovery from groin surgery, leaving he and Will Genia as the two remaining Europe-based players on the list.

Arnold returns to the squad after suffering an elbow injury late in the Super Rugby season and showing strong form for the UC Vikings in the opening week of the NRC.

The Brumbies second rower is the only new forward in the mix, with Rob Simmons retained in the wider squad despite being dropped for the Wellington Bledisloe Test.

Arnold’s return to the group will put heat on the incumbents, showing promise in the June Series against England and gaining match fitness in the NRC.

Naivalu has been included in the squad, though he doesn’t become eligible for Wallabies selection until September 18, the day after the Perth Test.

Lopeti Timani, Tom Robertson, Naivalu, and Godwin are the only uncapped players in the squad ahead of the next block of Tests.

Wallabies squad for South Africa and Argentina inbound Tests
    Ins: Rory Arnold, Kyle Godwin, Luke Morahan, Sefa Naivalu, Henry Speight

Outs: Adam Ashley-Cooper (France), Matt GIteau (ankle), Rob Horne (shoulder), Ben McCalman (shoulder), Matt Toomua (concussion).

Full 33-man squad
    Allan Alaalatoa, Rory Arnold, Adam Coleman, Quade Cooper, Kane Douglas, Scott Fardy, Israel Folau, Bernard Foley, Will Genia, Kyle Godwin, James Hanson, Dane Haylett-Petty, Reece Hodge, Michael Hooper, Sekope Kepu, Samu Kerevi, Tevita Kuridrani , Sean McMahon, Drew Mitchell, Stephen Moore, Luke Morahan, Dean Mumm, Sefa Naivalu, Nick Phipps, David Pocock, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Tom Robertson, Rob Simmons, Scott Sio, Will Skelton, James Slipper, Henry Speight, Lopeti Timani

http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2016/09...rgentina-squad

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Saw an article earlier that said Benny Mac will be out for the next 5 tests. Does that mean he'll be out for the Spring tour too?

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Saw an article earlier that said Benny Mac will be out for the next 5 tests. Does that mean he'll be out for the Spring tour too?
    The next 5 tests are the four remaining Rugby Championship matches and the 3rd Bledisloe. But as there's only a fortnight between the 3rd Bledisloe (22nd Oct) and the first European test (Wales, 5th Nov) he might not be match fit for the Spring tour.

The Spring tour is a possible Five Nations Grand Slam!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Grand slam of defeats?!

vCash
    I would say, "Surely we can't be bad enough to lose to all of the 5 Nations teams", but then again ...

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    While very disappointed that Kyle leaving us, it is great to see him crack the Wallaby squad.

He comes across as a genuine nice guy and has given us his all for the past five seasons and it is possible that with Dane having got his crack earlier in the year, another product through the WA rugby system may make his Wallaby debut.

Yet another reason for the ARU to keep the faith with us and keep the Force flame alight.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Overlooked while at the Force. Heads to Brumbies and presto... A Wallaby!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Overlooked while at the Force. Heads to Brumbies and presto... A Wallaby!

Conspiracy theories running riot.
    Kyle was pressing for selection in 2014 and almost made the Spring tour.
    IMO he should have been taken as part of an extended squad. The Spring tour used to be how we developed/tested potential Wallabies.
    Injury and application have caused Kyle to be overlooked for the past 2 seasons.
    To get selected in the training squad doesn't make Kyle a Wallaby. Getting picked and have time on the field does.
    There is no doubt, for all sorts of reasons, that Kyle's move is good for him and Australian rugby.
    I find his selection to train with the squad as one of the best signs that Cheika is starting to rebuild the Wallabies for the team as it will be over the next 4 years leading up to RWC 2019.
    he has a chance to lock in No 12 if he applies himself as our stocks are low and he has the right skill set to be great in this position.
    I hope that Kyle gets a chance to build on his 2014 form, wherever he plays, as I reckon he'll return to the Force, providing that we're still around, when the time is right.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Name:  eird-al-yankovic-tin-foil-hat-160x160.png
Views: 284
Size:  49.0 KB

My theory...my hat!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    Oh yeah? Big deal. It's easy to shoot down a perfectly good consiracy theory by resorting to facts.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    Kyle was pressing for selection in 2014 and almost made the Spring tour.
    IMO he should have been taken as part of an extended squad. The Spring tour used to be how we developed/tested potential Wallabies.
    Injury and application have caused Kyle to be overlooked for the past 2 seasons.
    To get selected in the training squad doesn't make Kyle a Wallaby. Getting picked and have time on the field does.
    There is no doubt, for all sorts of reasons, that Kyle's move is good for him and Australian rugby.
    I find his selection to train with the squad as one of the best signs that Cheika is starting to rebuild the Wallabies for the team as it will be over the next 4 years leading up to RWC 2019.
    he has a chance to lock in No 12 if he applies himself as our stocks are low and he has the right skill set to be great in this position.
    I hope that Kyle gets a chance to build on his 2014 form, wherever he plays, as I reckon he'll return to the Force, providing that we're still around, when the time is right.
    lets not kid ourselves, he is the 8th choice inside centre after all the following:

- Beale
    - Giteau
    - Toomua
    - Lilo
    - Horne
    - Foley
    - Hodge
    - Godwin

So you might be giving Cheika a bit too much credit

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha Handy View Post
    lets not kid ourselves, he is the 8th choice inside centre after all the following:

- Beale - not available
    - Giteau - not available, that was his last shot IMHO
    - Toomua - not available
    - Lilo - not likely in the foreseeable future
    - Horne - not available
    - Foley - not suitable
    - Hodge - now we're talking!
    - Godwin - moving up the list quick

So you might be giving Cheika a bit too much credit
    And you forgot Folau

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    And you forgot Folau
    and Kerevi

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    And Hooper!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!