Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: SPIRIT SIDE NAMED TO SWIM WITH RAYS

Senior Player
    vCash

SPIRIT SIDE NAMED TO SWIM WITH RAYS

The Perth Spirit have made three changes to the starting XV that took down the Melbourne Rising in Round One for the team’s first away fixture of the season against the Sydney Rays at North Sydney Oval on Friday night.

Head Coach Dwayne Nestor has reshuffled the starting front row and left the backline unchanged for what is sure to be an exciting Round Two contest against a formidable Rays outfit.

Nestor says the team is aiming to build on the momentum gained last week and looking forward to the challenge the Rays pose.

“We can take a fair bit from last week into this game,” he said. “In terms of positives, the boys started to use the ball really well in the second half, we started winning the collisions and earning the right to offload.”

“In terms of things to work on the scrum is one thing and hopefully a few changes we have made this week will help us improve there and we will just focus on the things we can control and work towards our goals.”

Speaking on the unchanged backline Nestor says every member of the backline warranted selection following strong performances in Round One and expects the backline battle to be key on Friday night.

“I think a lot of the backs had really good games. Billy Meakes was awesome, Ryan Louwrens and Jono Lance both had good games, Ben Tapuai is really excited to be playing good rugby and then the club guys, Eric Vasukicakau and Manihera Eden were really good on debut.”

“From watching the Rays last week they seem to play a similar style to us. They try to use the ball and the width of the field really well so I think we could be in for a really exciting game.”

The Spirit will field a new look front-row with Western Force hooker Anaru Rangi named to start after missing the opening round while Joondalup’s Laione Mulikihaamea and UWA’s Shambeckler Vui will make their run-on debuts after impressing off the bench last weekend.

The second row will again be an all Pindan Premier Grade duo with Cottesloe captain Kieran Stringer linking up with Grayson Knapp of Nedlands.

The backrow also remains unchanged with Western Force flanker Brynard Stander manning the blindside, Richard Hardwick at openside and Future Force Foundation product Onehunga Havili in the No.8 jersey.

Scrumhalf Ryan Louwrens will look to fine tune his partnership with flyhalf Jono Lance, who will once again captain the side after a ‘Man of the Match’ effort in the season opener.

In midfield, Ben Tapuai and Bill Meakes will start at No.12 and No.13 respectively after working strongly together in their first official match as a centre combination.

In the back three, Luke Morahan will be aiming to continue his try scoring ways after a brace last week, Cottesloe flyer Eric Vasukicakau has been rewarded with another start on the wing and Palmyra’s Manihera Eden rounds out the starting side at fullback.

In the reserves, Kalamunda prop Beau King has been named for a potential Buildcorp NRC debut and fellow Bull, Auega Seumanutafa comes into the side for Kane Koteka who will miss the match with concussion. Strike weapons Ammon Matuauto and Michael Ruru will be ready to influence the game when called upon after providing a good impact last week.

Buildcorp NRC – Round Two

Sydney Rays vs Perth Spirit
    Friday, 2 September
    Kick-off 4:30PM AWST
    North Sydney Oval, Sydney
    Live Stream Available HERE

#
    NAME
    LAIONE MULIKIHAAMEA (Joondalup)
    ANARU RANGI (Nedlands)
    SHAMBECKLER VUI (UWA)
    KIERAN STRINGER (Cottesloe)
    GRAYSON KNAPP (Nedlands)
    BRYNARD STANDER (Nedlands)
    RICHARD HARDWICK (UWA)
    ONEHUNGA HAVILI (Palmyra)
    RYAN LOUWRENS (Cottesloe)
    JONO LANCE (c) (Associates)
    ERIC VASUKICAKAU (Cottesloe)
    BEN TAPUAI (Wanneroo)
    BILLY MEAKES (TBC)
    LUKE MORAHAN (Kalamunda)
    MANIHERA EDEN (Palmyra)
    HARRY SCOBLE (UWA)
    MEES ERASMUS (Palmyra)
    BEAU KING (Kalamunda)*
    AUEGA SEUMANUTAFA (Kalamunda)
    HADLEIGH MAY (Cottesloe)
    MICHAEL RURU (Nedlands)
    AJ ALATIMU (Wests Scarborough)
    AMMON MATUAUTO (Nedlands)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Great to see a retention policy rather than a rotation policy being applied this year.

Look forward to seeing the boys giving it another decent crack.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Australia U20s internet star Shambeckler Vui will make his run-on NRC debut in a reshuffled Perth Spirit forward pack.

ARU website

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    This week is the most heartening news I've heard in the history of the spirit. Retaining the players that did their job and looking for solutions to fix what wasn't good.

Now we just need to see a bench player like Ruru confident that it's worth having a crack at unseating the incumbent and I'll be happy, regardless of results

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Champion
    vCash

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Spirit line-up is Force preview

Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    August 31, 2016, 1:22 pm

The Perth Spirit backline for Friday's National Rugby Championship clash with Sydney Rays at North Sydney Oval brings an insight into the Western Force line-up for the next Super Rugby season.

It brings together halves Ryan Louwrens and Jonno Lance and centres Ben Tapuai and Billy Meakes with Luke Morahan, who scored two tries in last weekend's 20-16 round one win over Melbourne Rising, on one wing.

They are likely to be joined in 2017 by full-back Dane Hayett Petty currently with the Wallabies, and new signing, outside back Curtis Rona, who will move when his NRL season ends with the Canterbury Bulldogs.

Coach Dwayne Nestor has kept an unchanged backline for Friday's match.

Local club members, winger Eric Vasukicakau and full-back Manihera Eden who both made their debut last week keep their spots with the Force players.

Nestor has shuffled the starting front row. Force hooker Anaru Rangi who missed last week's match joins locals Laione Mulikihaamea and Shambeckler Vui who make their run-on debuts after coming of the bench last weekend.

Nestor said the team was build momentum after the opening round win.

“We can take a fair bit from last week into this game,” Nestor said.

“In terms of positives the boys started to use the ball really well in the second half, we started winning the collisions and earning the right to offload.

“In terms of things to work on the scrum is one thing and hopefully a few changes we have made this week will help us improve there."
    Nestor predicted a huge backline battle.

“A lot of the backs had really good games. Billy Meakes was awesome, Ryan Louwrens and Jono Lance both had good games, Ben Tapuai is really excited to be playing good rugby and then the club guys, Eric Vasukicakau and Manihera Eden were really good on debut," he said.

“From watching the Rays last week they seem to play a similar style to us. They try to use the ball and the width of the field really well.”

Perth Spirit: Laione Mulikihaamea, Anaru Rangi, Shambeckler Vui, Kiernan Stringer, Grayson Knapp, Brynard Stander, Richard Hardwick, Onehunga Havili, Ryan Louwrens, Jono Lance (capt), Eric Vasukicakau, Ben Tapuai, Billy Meakes, Luke Morahan, Manihera Eden. Reserves: Harry Scoble, Mees Erasmus, Beau King, Auega Seumanutafa, Hadleigh May, Michael Ruru, AJ Alatimu, Ammon Matuauto

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...preview/#page1

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Saying this team is a preview of the force in any way is crap considering the club doesn't have a coach at the moment.

C'mon the

vCash
    Speaking of which.....

Is anybody of the opinion that Dwyane is treating the necessary as a really long job interview?

C'mon the

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    who would want to coach if there was no guarantee that there will be a team after next year?

vCash
    I feel sure they will choose Wessels as head coach.

On another note, I see Benny Mac is back training with the Force. Does that mean he's been dropped from the Wallaby squad or have they all gone back to their SR teams for the week?

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    I feel sure they will choose Wessels as head coach. On another note, I see Benny Mac is back training with the Force. Does that mean he's been dropped from the Wallaby squad or have they all gone back to their SR teams for the week?
    I think the latter is unlikely, we're not new Zealand you know!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    I feel sure they will choose Wessels as head coach.

On another note, I see Benny Mac is back training with the Force. Does that mean he's been dropped from the Wallaby squad or have they all gone back to their SR teams for the week?
    He has a shoulder issue Ali, so out of the squad for now

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Saying this team is a preview of the force in any way is crap considering the club doesn't have a coach at the moment.
    I though we had all agreed that Tom Fearn was going to be the coach?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Bugger!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    I believe that it's a recurrence of the scapula injury.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast