Thread: SUPER SOLUTIONS

vCash

SUPER SOLUTIONS

Georgina Robinson of the SMH is reporting that the SANZAAR reviews into Super, are bringing up some stern proposed models for the future of the competition. A few of those models include the dropping of teams in South Africa and Australia, while another one advances the idea of further expansion.

Accenture, the consultants hired to do the job, have talked to every major stakeholder (the rugby unions involved, plus the teams and the broadcasters), are now in the process of settling on a submission.

However, Robinson stresses that while there are many different models being bandied about, the ARU board got together on Thursday night to mainly discuss the ditching of an Australian team in time for 2018. The ideal structure in those models has a “more workable” (according to Robinson) 16-team,4-to-a-conference competition.

If the ARU were to ditch a team, it would be a retreat from their national strategy. However, as Robinson explains, “it would also be the most obvious and immediate solution to rugby’s intractable financial problems” – made worse by the dire situations at the Brumbies and the Force.

Apparently, the ARU has already told clubs to expect $500k less from head office next year, despite getting a bumper TV deal, while Asteron has decided to not renew their partnership with Super Rugby, which joins the Rugby Championship and the England series as also being naming rights-free.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/fri...ugby-news-152/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Dont trust the media!!! Especially not the Eastern States media!!!. From what I have heard sanzar want to expand super rugby not decrease it. We are guaranteed a franchise until at least 2020 under the broadcast deal so I wouldn't worry about it. I believe the Aru are 100% committed to the force, surely evident in the signing of Rona. I believe the Aru do want to try and have a national footprint with rugby. Again as I said in the thread about the spirit match, come and show your support for rugby in wa by coming down tomorrow and #filling the hill and let's show them the passion we have for rugby in wa!!!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MI5_Dog View Post
    However, Robinson stresses that while there are many different models being bandied about, the ARU board got together on Thursday night to mainly discuss the ditching of an Australian team in time for 2018. The ideal structure in those models has a “more workable” (according to Robinson) 16-team,4-to-a-conference competition.
    http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/fri...ugby-news-152/
    Again Ms R. has again taken something with many variables and pulls out and concentrates mainly on the lets get rid of everyone west of Canberra part.

Maybe she needs to make a visit out wests and see the Force Academy and the vibrant club rugby scene and tell them face to face that they do not matter in the greater scheme of things!

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Kiwi media has picked up on it as well. They're all happy to see the kings & the force go.

This is all reported to be happening in 2018. Pity the current broadcast contracts go longer than that

vCash
    If SANZAR were to expand Super Rugby again I feel thatr would be a mistake. Most businesses after expanding will consolidate what they have to make it successful but SANZAR seems to be running with the "dots on the map" model to managing a competition just so they can say we have teams here, here and here.

The product is already diluted with the move to the conference based system used this year, and adding teams in the US or Canada etc will only serve up more games during inhosbitable viewing times.

If they were to axe the Force, and I'm speaking purely in Hypotheticals as the TV contracts go until 2020 (I think) and I don't believe the ARU could be so stupid, I will never watch a game of Rugby again.

vCash
    As much as I don't want to see any of the Aussie Super Rugby franchises closing I suspect that Melbourne may be the one to go.
    They've sucked more money out of the ARU than the Force has.
    The time slot is not as good.
    They have produced less local talent going into the Wallabies.
    It's easier for the other eastern states clubs to poach their players and
    they are having even more trouble with money now with their own 'Firepower' scandal set to happen soon if what the gossip columns are saying is true.
    I will take no pleasure in it if this is the case. I think 5 teams suits Australia quite well.
    This whole "spreading the talent too thin" argument is a crock of shite and doesn't stand up to even the briefest of views.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Is Georgina ... David Moffett's long lost daughter ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MI5_Dog View Post
    This whole "spreading the talent too thin" argument is a crock of shite and doesn't stand up to even the briefest of views.
    That's exactly right.

looking at it that way is a convervative approach by the older unions who want to protect their investments at the detriment of future players.
    eventually how thin/think rugby is spread out will even itself out, especially with the NRC & the strong uptake we've seen @ grassroots.

The ARU just needs to be in it for the long haul.

Them failing to sell the naming rights for the June tour and this current one is an absolute disgrace. There would have been absolutely nothing stopping them from lowering their asking price when it was initially refused.
    If there is one complaint that they dont have any money in the next 12m i'm going to blow a gasket.

if you cant get 100% from one person - you take 90% from someone else and still make money...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    Again Ms R. has again taken something with many variables and pulls out and concentrates mainly on the lets get rid of everyone west of Canberra part.

Maybe she needs to make a visit out wests and see the Force Academy and the vibrant club rugby scene and tell them face to face that they do not matter in the greater scheme of things!
    She was mentored in her role at the SMH by the loathsome Greg Growden so has no time whatsoever for the Force!!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Can't get rid of Melbourne, as they've signed binding contracts with the new "owners" paying them to take the Rebels off their hands. Doubt they'll even see any reduction in funding applied to the other teams.

If they really wanted to save some money they'd axe the Waratahs. It would even make the Shute Shield the most important thing in the state again - everyone wins...!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The courts might decide and make the Brums bankrupt!