Thread: David Moffet Calls for a cull of Sides

vCash

David Moffet Calls for a cull of Sides

FORMER rugby supremo David Moffett believes chopping Super Rugby’s “ludicrous” 18-team competition back to 12 must be the starting point to rebuild the Wallabies.

The man who helped usher the code into the professional era 21 years ago would hatchet the Melbourne Rebels or Western Force so Australia’s questionable depth can be consolidated into four clubs.

“It’s not just about one shocking loss to the All Blacks but a shake-up for the whole code to better address what is important,” Moffett said.

He said the crowd of 65,328 for Saturday night’s Bledisloe Cup opener in Sydney concerned him nearly as much as the scary numbers “42-8” on the scoreboard.

“I was gobsmacked by the small crowd, which reflects a whole lot of reasons including the disconnect from the new Super Rugby format, an overcomplicated rule book, fans being judicious on their sports spend and the series loss to England,” Moffett said.

Moffett was formerly chief executive of the New Zealand Rugby Union and the NSWRU and he also headed the NRL as chief executive between 1999-2001.

His first call would be a brutal overhaul of Super Rugby because he feels SANZAAR, the ruling body he once headed, has veered off course.

“SANZAAR has taken the view it is for them to develop rugby outside Europe and that’s not its role,” Moffett said.

“The pursuit of quantity over quality is a nightmare with Japan, other weaker teams involved and talk of 20 and 24 teams in the future.

“Fans switched off from the ludicrous four-conference format this year when all they want to turn them on again is a competition they understand and quality.

“I’d return the competition to 12 teams and play home-and-away with four each from Australia, NZ and South Africa.

“Getting rid of the Rebels or Force would be tough on them but why are we paying journeyman players big money to pad out five teams when we only have the strength for four.

“The Super Rugby set-up is part of the Wallabies’ downfall.”

Axing the Force or Rebels from the Super competition is the first step to rebuilding the Wallabies, according to Moffett.
    Axing the Force or Rebels from the Super competition is the first step to rebuilding the Wallabies, according to Moffett.Source:News Corp Australia
    Moffett said he would direct the savings from cutting a propped-up club into getting rugby into more schools, development and keeping stars from European clutches.

“Rugby’s footprint around Australia has never been threatened more with the five-tackle-kick game of rugby league, AFL and football competing for future players and fans,” Moffett said.

“Sevens is one area where rugby has made itself more accessible ... and the girls beat the Kiwis at that at the Olympics.”

The 33 per cent jump in women playing sevens nationwide in 2015 will rise again thank to the panache of the gold medal-winning heroes in Rio.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/former-rugby-supremo-believes-key-to-rebuilding-wallabies-is-ruthless-super-rugby-cull/news-story/6c22403fe6819888e5df87fa96f72361

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    And when we continue to get belted by the All Blacks and reduced to one super team-what then?

vCash
    'Twould appear Moffo has had his head stuck too far up his arse for a bit too long and has run out of air

vCash
    How I see this is ,, Why knock out the clubs that are giving the locals a go The Force had Blooded some great kids.. Just a pity they can't get a go Nationally..
    He mentioned propping up clubs. This is only being brought out publicly now as the Force have asked for help.. If you go back thru the yr and see how much is spent in NSW and QLD The ARU should have been sold off yrs ago..
    Change the format Back to 12 or 14 I do agree with..
    If the Force go I will change to Mungos for good ..

vCash
    well... liberal governments love selling off shit, maybe the ARU is on the shortlist?

vCash
    So his solution for a crap national team that's stacked with Waratahs and playing in a half-full stadium in Sydney is to remove one of the teams that aren't in Sydney?

Seems logical to a complete idiot I guess!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    If you knock anyone out, surely it has to be the Brumbies. They aren't profitable and they contribute very little to the Australian playing pool. The Force have more local players that the Brumbies. Forget a few previous titles.

But also forget about cutting teams. What we need/needed was the ARC to have continued in 2007 and for a stronger U20 pathway 5 years ago. John O'Neill set the game back a decade when he returned to the top job. Axed the ARC, brought in Robbie Deans as coach, tried to centralise rugby academies. Poisonous.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.