Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NESTOR NAMES 35-MAN PERTH SPIRIT SQUAD

Senior Player
    vCash

NESTOR NAMES 35-MAN PERTH SPIRIT SQUAD

NESTOR NAMES 35-MAN PERTH SPIRIT SQUAD

By David Berrie on Thu 11th August 16

Perth Spirit Head Coach Dwayne Nestor has named a 35-man squad ahead of the upcoming 2016 Buildcorp National Rugby Championship (NRC).

The squad is made up of a strong mix of Western Force contracted players and standouts from the Pindan Premier Grade with 12 players from the local competition called up following strong seasons for their respective clubs

Nestor has bolstered the squad with a host of Western Force stars including Luke Morahan, Ben Tapuai, Adam Coleman, Pek Cowan, Ryan Louwrens and last year’s Buildcorp NRC player of the year, Jono Lance.

Among the local payers called up are Nedlands scrumhalf Michael Ruru, Wests Scarborough play maker AJ Alatimu and Kalamunda flanker Auega Seumanutafa all of whom have been instrumental in guiding their clubs to strong Premier Grade seasons.

Rounding out the 35-man roster are five Future Force Foundation players, Angus Taylor, Mees Erasmus, Sham Vui, James Verity-Amm and Riley Winter.

Nestor says he believes the squad is well balanced and primed to attack the 2016 Buildcorp NRC season.

“I think it is a really good mix,” he said. “The contracted guys will be motivated just to play footy, the Future Force Foundation players are obviously looking to prove themselves and trying to take a step up to the next level and the club guys are presented with a fantastic opportunity.”

“I think the quality of the club players we have selected this season is really high and they have all been in fantastic form. As we’ve seen there is a proven pathway from club rugby to Super Rugby thanks to the NRC.

“For the contracted guys like Kane Koteka who didn’t play a lot of Super Rugby this year I think they will be really excited to rip in and play some really high level rugby."

With less than three weeks until the opening match of the competition Nestor says the squad will look to get straight into their work.

“We have had the club guys in training for a couple weeks and starting next week we will have the Force players in as well and get into our preparation. We don’t have a huge amount of time so we have to get a lot of work done on the training track to get ready for game one against the Melbourne Rising.”

After the Spirit missed the finals last season the team is determined to redeem themselves with sights set on going all the way.

“We’re looking to win the thing. I think in the last two years there has been a bit of different set up in terms of rosters and rotation of players. This year there will still be a bit of that in terms of making sure the Force players are doing the best preparation for Super Rugby but there is more of an emphasis on winning.”

“We want to win this competition, no doubt about it.”

The Perth Spirit will kick-off their 2016 Buildcorp NRC campaign against the Melbourne Rising on Saturday, 27 August at McGillivray Oval.

NAME
    SURNAME
    PROGRAM
    CLUB
    Jermaine
    Ainsley
    Force
    Nedlands
    AJ
    Alatimu
    Premier Grade
    Wests Scarborough
    Marcel
    Brache
    Force
    Perth Bayswater
    Brad
    Campbell
    Premier Grade
    Wanneroo
    Adam
    Coleman
    Force
    Cottesloe
    Pek
    Cowan
    Force
    Wests Scarborough
    Louie
    David
    Premier Grade
    Wests Scarborough
    Manihera
    Eden
    Premier Grade
    Palmyra
    Mees
    Erasmus
    Future Force
    Palmyra
    Richard
    Hardwick
    Force
    UWA
    Onehunga
    Havilli
    Future Force
    Palmyra
    Ross
    Haylett-Petty
    Force
    Cottesloe
    Beau
    King
    Premier Grade
    Kalamunda
    Grayson
    Knapp
    Premier Grade
    Nedlands
    Kane
    Koteka
    Force
    Wests Scarborough
    Jono
    Lance
    Force
    Associates
    Ryan
    Louwrens
    Force
    Cottesloe
    Semisi
    Masirewa
    Force
    Wests Scarborough
    Ammon
    Matuauto
    Force
    Nedlands
    Hadleigh
    May
    Premier Grade
    Cottesloe
    Luke
    Morahan
    Force
    Kalamunda
    Liaone
    Mulikihaamea
    Premier Grade
    Joondalup
    Ian
    Prior
    Force
    Nedlands
    Anaru
    Rangi
    Force
    Nedlands
    Michael
    Ruru
    Premier Grade
    Nedlands
    Harry
    Scoble
    Force
    UWA
    Auega
    Seumanutafa
    Premier Grade
    Kalamunda
    Brynard
    Stander
    Force
    Nedlands
    Ben
    Tapuai
    Force
    Wanneroo
    Heath
    Tessmann
    Force
    Nedlands
    Eric
    Vasukicakau
    Premier Grade
    Cottesloe
    James
    Verity-Amm
    Future Force
    Nedlands
    Shambeckler
    Vui
    Future Force
    UWA
    James
    Wepener
    Premier Grade
    Joondalup
    Riley
    Winter
    Future Force
    Wests Scarborough

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I like the mix. Looking forward to the start of the tourny :-)

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Decent and well balanced squad.

Looking forward to seeing the boys give it a crack from the hill.

Nothing better than footy in the park on a winters day.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Player
    vCash
    What an embarrassment to rugby in this state that this side is coached by muppets!
    The force for 2017 will end up the same!!!
    The board/Sinderberry have a lot to answer for!!!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by whodunnit View Post
    What an embarrassment to rugby in this state that this side is coached by muppets!
    If only Tom Fearn was available

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    was he?

vCash
    I like the things he's saying. Not that I know enough to be able to comment on the quality of the squad, but the coach has admitted that their hands were tied in the past and indicated that they will be looking to win this year. Now all he has to do is deliver on that!

Like that Jono Lance is staying in Perth, Morahan and Coleman are both great inclusions. the names id have heard from amongst the club players are guys that have had big wraps on here, Ruru, Vui, Erasmus, Winter. It seems to me that they aren't planning to bugger around with it this year.

Of course, the proof will be in the pudding!

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Super Coach, can he add to his World Tens Trophy.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    By my calculations 16 of these players will be involved in semi final action this weekend.
    Only 3 players were actually bought into Perth by the Force with the remaining players either locals or made their way into the squad via club rugby.
    Decent looking squad.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash
    So that'd be 2 wallabies and(arguably) the best 10 the force have had.

Isn't that just exactly the way we want it? Plenty of pathways into the professional game, players seemingly picked on form, telling us they want to win it... Maybe losing Foley wasn't all that bad after all

C'mon the

vCash
    Sadly I think the team list confirms Godwin's departure. However Rona's signing today at least keeps the ledger balanced in replacing at least like with like and with the other signings so far greater than what has left, and these kids being blooded together with a crux of Force players things look much better than at seasons end. Optimism is returning.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    Sadly I think the team list confirms Godwin's departure.
    Not to mention the unfortunate circumstance of Christian, perhaps why they were trying to keep the Godwin deal under wraps.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    Sadly I think the team list confirms Godwin's departure. However Rona's signing today at least keeps the ledger balanced in replacing at least like with like.
    I've resigned myself to the Godwin thing, but the length of time it took for Rona's contract to progress from "somebody heard" to a real contract suggests that they're just waiting for the completion of the T crossing.

As for Like for Like...Godwin has been on a real downswing since he was forced to play 13 in the failed attempt to find a place for Rasolea, I'm not sure that this won't be a positive trade for the Force. Rona is (reportedly) a monster of a mungo, and he's already had a chat with Cheika (as mentioned in one of his interviews) so he's def on the Wallaby radar. Can we say Godwin is on the radar with the form he's shown in the last couple of years?

Steve Larkham sounds like a great option to coach an inside back, but the style of play the Brums deliver under him as head coach looks decidedly South African (but I can't figure out why) We might have got the best out of this deal in both the short AND the long term.

I'm getting close to signign up for more pain next year. All I think it would take is a good coach signed and one or two of the fringe players from the Tahs to come over and bolster our lineup.

C'mon the

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by whodunnit View Post
    I agree! whinge whinge whinge. coach, blah, ARU corrupt muppets, westies man lies, sinderberry can't manage. Oh, and the membership team! WOAH!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Both Meaks and Rona have a sniff of the ARU pulling some strings. That's not a bad thing and really about bloody time that worked in our favor.

The thing I'm really waiting on though is the announcement of coach. That will really tell me if people are being serious about this whole thing.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast