Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs in hot water over stripper fracas

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Chiefs in hot water over stripper fracas

AUDREY MALONE
    Last updated 20:34, August 3 2016

Chiefs players also hired a stripper on the night one of them was caught chanting a homophobic slur toward teammates.

Franchise bosses have confirmed a stripper was engaged by players for their post-season get-together at a Waikato hot pool and said he was "Very disappointed" and conceded the two incidents weren't a good look for the professional sports franchise.

The Super Rugby team, which lost to the Hurricanes in their Super Rugby semifinal on Saturday, celebrated the end of their season at the Okoroire hot pools, near Matamata. Such occasions are known in rugby and rugby league as Mad Monday.

Chiefs CEO Andrew Flexman on Wednesday confirmed a player had hired a stripper.

Investigations were still ongoing as to which player it was who hired the stripper but there would be some very tough conversations with those involved, Flexman said.

Management were not aware the stripper had been hired and were not present when she was performing, Flexman said.

He said if bosses had been aware they would have put a stop to the performance before it started.

The stripper, who performs under the name Scarlette and did not want to use her real name for safety reasons, was booked to waitress for an hour and perform a strip routine but she said the night turned sour when players behaved badly, including touching her despite her repeated warnings not to.

"I told them not to pull this stuff with me. It's not on, Scarlette said. "It was a pack mentality."

But Flexman strongly denied the allegations of improper behaviour, saying the franchise had independent witnesses who saw nothing untoward toward the woman.

"You have got to remember this is one person's accusation and her standing in the community and culpability is not beyond reproach," Flexman said.

However, he said players actions in hiring a stripper were not up to the organisation's own standards.

"I don't think it's a good look. Clearly it's something as an organisation, it's not good, and it's not acceptable."

When asked if hiring strippers was a common incident within rugby at professional level or within the culture of rugby elsewhere, including club level, he replied: "I don't know. I mean, I don't hear of it."

Flexman believed it remained to be seen whether the stripper incident would impact on the relationship the Super Rugby franchise had with sponsors.

The team's major sponsors include Gallaghers, Waikato Draught, AON, Adidas, Placemakers and Generation Homes.

The incident comes after Chiefs player Michael Allardice on Tuesday apologised for chanting "here come the gays" toward teammates, who were in fancy dress costume.

Pools patron, Brendan Barraclough, complained about the slur and received an apology from both Flexman and Allardice.

In his apology for that incident Allardice said his behaviour yesterday "did not reflect the values of our team and organisation."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/s...tripper-fracas

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    No pictures to go with this story??

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    much ado about nothing

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Oh man, a fracas!?!? It's been ages since I've managed that...these days it's all halfas at best.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    AUDREY MALONE
    Last updated 20:34, August 3 2016

"I told them not to pull this stuff with me. It's not on, Scarlette said. "It was a pack mentality."

Blame the forwards again

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by todd4 View Post
    No pictures to go with this story??
    Sounds pretty "old school" down in Mooloo land, where's that draft fixture list, when they next in Perth?

vCash
    Nothing wrong there just a play on words they were at the Okoroire hot pools great place to get into hot water did it most Friday and Saturday nights in my younger days..

vCash
    Don't know why there's such a stink about them having a stripper.
    Give them a chance to enjoy themselves after a big season.
    The article should be about the issue if they treated her the way she said, not the fact they had a stripper

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Laugh and the world laughs with you.......
    ......cry and you'll weaken your beer

vCash
    Chiefs in hot water over stripper fracas

AUDREY MALONE, FLORENCE KERR AND JOHN EDENS

Last updated 14:07, August 4 2016

Chiefs sponsors are sticking by their team amid allegations players inappropriately touched a stripper during end of season Mad Monday celebrations.

Major sponsor Gallagher Group on Thursday offered little sympathy for the stripper with corporate services executive Margaret Comer saying: "If a woman takes her clothes off and walks around in a group of men, what are we supposed to do if one of them tries to touch her."

"It's not nice and perhaps the stripper shouldn't have been hired, but I'm reluctant to say that the boys were out of line."

Comer said stripping and hiring the stripper was a "stupid damn thing to do" and a gay slur from lock Michael Allardice shouldn't have happened, but was dealt with "quite appropriately" by Chiefs management.

All Blacks coach Steve Hansen reluctantly weighs in on the conduct of Chiefs players celebrating the end of the Super Rugby season with a stripper.

"Obviously, it's disappointing when young men go a little bit out of line but my preference is that we just wait and see till the whole facts come out."

He is confident the Chiefs' values are in the right place and management will address the issue.

"I don't think one slip up is an indication their values are wrong. They are a pretty good outfit. We are not going to knee-jerk in terms of any relationship we have with the Chiefs."

HANSEN HITS OUT OVER MAD MONDAY

Hansen, who was in Auckland for a two-day camp with some members of his All Blacks squad, made it clear he was not happy with the fallout from the goings-on with the Chiefs.

"I don't have a view [on it] but you want me to make a comment so what I'd say is this: I don't know if it's true or not true, I wasn't there. But if it's true then it's disappointing, and if it's not true it's also disappointing because a whole lot of things are coming out of this which aren't great for rugby and the Chiefs."

Hansen continued, saying: "The one thing I do know though is there is a massive lesson about 'Mad Mondays' − just kick 'em for touch. You don't need them."

Hansen was asked whether it was appropriate for a team like the Chiefs to have a stripper at their end-of-season function.

"I think I've already said that, get rid of them," he added in reference to the traditional post-season team get-togethers in the football codes.

He was also asked if he was confident about the culture in the All Blacks in respect to certain standards of behaviour.

"I'm very, very confident our All Black culture is up to scratch," he added.

"I've given [the players] a reminder that there's a certain way to behave."

FLEXMAN SHUT DOWN

Chiefs franchise boss Andrew Flexman shut down a brief press conference on the stripper scandal when asked about the identity of players involved, and whether they were All Blacks.

Flexman gave no answer to the question of All Blacks on Thursday as he revealed his disappointment at the team ending their season amid scandal.

"Some really serious allegations have surfaced about some conduct in respect to our players and we are taking as an organisation those allegations extremely seriously," Flexman said.

"It'd be fair to say that we are really, really disappointed in the actions of our players in engaging the services of a performer to attend an after, or a post season celebration."

Flexman said the Chiefs did not condone the hiring of a stripper.

"Indeed if any of these allegations are substantiated, we will be taking the appropriate actions. The process from here is that an investigation will be launched. We will run that alongside New Zealand Rugby.

"As a result of that investigation, if it is concluded that any of the allegations are substantiated we give everybody an assurance that we will be taking the action that is deemed appropriate to be taken given the seriousness of the allegations."

Asked about an earlier comment in which Flexman questioned the credibility of the stripper's allegations given her choice of vocation, the Chiefs boss apologised.

"I probably regret the way that that was expressed," Flexman said.

"In no way do I take as a person and the values that I have, given the vocation that this particular woman is involved in, do I cast aspersions on her as a person as a result of that vocation. That's just simply not what I believe in.

"So, I have reflected on those comments and whilst to a degree there was some context I believe around those I have to be honest and say that I was disappointed with the way they were expressed."

Asked about implying a denial before knowing the full story, he said:

"As I said I don't think the way it was expressed was appropriate.

"The reality is we'd made no assumptions about anything because we hadn't yet conducted an investigation as I've alluded to.

"We are going to get a sense through that investigation of the facts. We've got varying versions of events and once we've got to the bottom of things we'll make some decisions accordingly."

Asked whether senior players, including All Blacks, were involved, Flexman said: "Look we don't know yet. We haven't, as I say, there's still plenty of, I mean, there's varying versions of events.

"We have not yet conducted the investigation.

"So the answer to that question I do not know yet who's involved, and I should say allegedly involved. So the answer to that question is I'm just not in a position to comment."

Flexman said "to the best of my knowledge" it was not normal for strippers to be hired by the Chiefs.

The press conference, which lasted about four minutes, was stopped immediately after Flexman was asked about the stripper saying she was scared and short-changed.

A SACKABLE OFFENCE

The scandal was a serious one for the Chiefs with players facing the sack if allegations they inappropriately touched the stripper were proven. The stripper, who went by the name 'Scarlette', said the players made her feel like a "whore" and inappropriately touched her despite her saying no.

On Wednesday night, Flexman denied the allegations about the way players had treated the stripper, saying independent witnesses would confirm his stance.

Flexman would not say who the witnesses were and when confronted with the allegations that players had taunted 'Scarlette', including pouring beer on her, he said the "stakes were high" telling Stuff he had been talking to a QC.

The consequences for the players involved could be career-ending with each contracted to the New Zealand Rugby Union.

"There's all sorts of sanctions that are open to the employer to take based on substantiated facts as a result of an investigation and that could include termination of one's employment," Flexman said.

"That's only one of many sanctions that could apply in the terms of the collective. For me to preempt what's an appropriate outcome is premature.

MADE TO FEEL LIKE A WHORE

The stripper hired by the Chiefs for their raucous end of season celebration said she was made to feel like a whore.

"They wanted me to be a whore, which I wasn't prepared to be," she told RNZ's Morning Report.

She felt what they did to her was inappropriate.

When asked if she would take a complaint to police, Scarlette said she'd been abused in the past and had a negative experience dealing with police.

The Super Rugby team, which lost to the Hurricanes in their Super Rugby semifinal on Saturday, celebrated the end of their season at the Okoroire hot pools, near Matamata. Such occasions were known in rugby and rugby league as Mad Monday.

Investigations were still ongoing as to which player it was who hired the stripper, but there would be some very tough conversations with those involved, Flexman said.

Management were not aware the stripper had been hired and were not present when she was performing, Flexman said.

Flexman said if bosses had been aware they would have put a stop to the performance before it started.

'PACK MENTALITY'

Scarlette was booked to waitress for an hour and perform a strip routine but said the night turned sour when players behaved badly, including touching her despite her repeated warnings not to.

"I told them not to pull this stuff with me. It's not on," Scarlette said.

"It was a pack mentality."​

But Flexman strongly denied the allegations of improper behaviour, saying the franchise had independent witnesses who saw nothing untoward toward the woman.

"You have got to remember this is one person's accusation and her standing in the community and culpability is not beyond reproach," Flexman said on Wednesday.

However, he said players actions in hiring a stripper were not up to the organisation's own standards.

"I don't think it's a good look. Clearly it's something as an organisation, it's not good, and it's not acceptable."

When asked if hiring strippers was a common incident within rugby at professional level or within the culture of rugby elsewhere, including club level, he replied: "I don't know. I mean, I don't hear of it."

Flexman believed it remained to be seen whether the stripper incident would impact on the relationship the Super Rugby franchise had with sponsors.

The team's major sponsors include Gallaghers, Waikato Draught, AON, Adidas, Placemakers and Generation Homes.

The incident came after Chiefs player Michael Allardice on Tuesday apologised for chanting "here come the gays" toward teammates, who were in fancy dress costume.

Pools patron, Brendan Barraclough, complained about the slur and received an apology from both Flexman and Allardice.

In his apology for that incident Allardice said his behaviour yesterday "did not reflect the values of our team and organisation".

I guess this was to be expected after the AB's celebrated their RWC win at an infamous London Strip Club with Prince Harry

Champion
    vCash
    I what their significant others think about it all, I bet they're getting hell at home!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post

The incident comes after Chiefs player Michael Allardice on Tuesday apologised for chanting "here come the gays" toward teammates, who were in fancy dress costume.

Brendan obviously just had a bitch of a day and also had a lovers tiff with his boyfriend and so was just feeling a bit sensitive.

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PerthGirl View Post
    I what their significant others think about it all, I bet they're getting hell at home!
    Given some of the track record over there, they may well not be game to say a thing...

vCash
    Had to read this article a couple of times.. Outrage over a rugby team hiring a stripper?? huh? Action Hardcore is about ready to walk away from the game..

when they keep glancing over at me i know they think iam cute and are checking me out -Kalafan 10/3/10

i have difficulty in my life. alot of girls like me but i cannot ask them out. i think they like me cause i am good looking and have a nice smile.- kalafan 3/7/10

FREE LINDSAY

Born TROLLIN

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Damn clickbait. Nothing here of interest.

coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    Stripper saga results in Chiefs cautions

Angelo Risso
    September 7, 2016, 1:19 pm

Every player on the Chiefs' 2016 Super Rugby roster has been issued a formal warning for their role in a post-season incident with a stripper.

However no individual players will face further action after New Zealand Rugby were unable to verify allegations of sexual assault.

Players were alleged to have hired and subsequently licked, inappropriately touched and short-changed a woman called Scarlette.

The incident allegedly took place at the Chiefs' "Mad Monday" post-season celebrations at the Okoroire hot pools.

A NZ Rugby investigation concluded the players had acted inappropriately by hiring the stripper, and had damaged the entire Chiefs brand.

But the allegations of sexual assault were found to be groundless after interviews with players, witnesses and the woman herself.

Witnesses said some players had acted raucously by whistling and shouting but did not crowd around the stripper or expose themselves to her.

A dispute over payment did, however, take place.

Allegations of similar behaviour at the Chiefs' 2015 post-season event were also unfounded, according to NZ Rugby.

No players will face further charges of misconduct as a result and NZ Police have already indicated they won't pursue the matter.

NZ Rugby boss Steve Tew nevertheless said the incident was unacceptable and embarrassing for the Super Rugby club.

Repeat behaviour at future events would be punished more severely.

"We are far from satisfied that players should not bear some culpability for the harm done to the game, to the Chiefs brand and to their families," Mr Tew said.

"We've made it abundantly clear to the players that their activity and decision making in these situations is totally unacceptable."

NZ Rugby will now work with the club and New Zealand Rugby Players Association to develop union-wide protocols around post-season events.

Tew later said in a press conference that post-season events would not be banned completely but should involve food, drinks and families.

"If we drive it underground we're likely to get worse behaviour," Tew said.

"What we're better to do is make sure we've got better structures and policies around those gatherings."

Education programs will also be considered.

The Chiefs had lost two sponsors as a result of the incident.

Head coach Dave Rennie also expressed his disappointment, saying the club had worked hard to build a strong community culture.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...autions/#page1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast