Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tonight's Force Member's Meeting Roll Call

vCash
    On the player recruitment front he said there was a high profile name in the frame for the centres. Anyone out of contract in the NH or SH who might fit that bill??

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by todd4 View Post
    Trying not to repeat what others have said but, Mark did say that the latest report in the newspaper re. which candidates where on the list for coach was written using guesswork. Nick Taylor did approach the Force for info but was told the list of applicants was confidential so he went ahead and based the article on assumptions (my words).He said some info in the article was correct and some incorrect but would not elaborate. Mark did speak about the career pathways set-up for coaches that exists in NZ and it looks like the ARU want to introduce a similar model here. When asked if that meant that our next coach would be an Aussie he said 'not necessarily' but I'm guessing it probably will be. He said interviews will commence next week with a decision due and an offer made to the successful candidate by late August/early September. He said recruitment of players is still actively going ahead and there will be the announcement of a couple of significant signings in the next couple of days. (Did I hear this correct? or was my mind in fantasy land at this stage?)
    On recruitment he said that the preference will be to develop our own players from the school system through the Future Force program with a goal of hopefully having about 60% local content in the squad in years to come.. He said this is preferable to bringing in players from overseas both from a cost and /or ability reasons.
    We still have a number of spots to fill. He said the Force are looking at Ross HP developing into a no.6 rather than a lock but of course will be used as a lock when needed. He said the ARU will help identify young players over east with potential and encourage them to move west as opportunities arise. I think the ARU involvement in recruitment and coaching support will be a positive thing. He said a whole lot more but my brain has just slipped into neutral and I need a coffee.
    Great summary Todd

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    On the player recruitment front he said there was a high profile name in the frame for the centres. Anyone out of contract in the NH or SH who might fit that bill??
    I think it is someone coming back from over east and league, and I am guessing that it is Curtis Rana,

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    I think it is someone coming back from over east and league, and I am guessing that it is Curtis Rana,
    With the greatest respect to Mr Rana - who've I've never heard of - this wouldn't be in the high profile category IMHO.

For a high profile centre I'd be thinking Gits returning (he did allude to that on Twitter & we all know how accurate that is) or may Hooper transitioning from #7 at the Tahs to be a world-beating centre for the Force.....

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
    With the greatest respect to Mr Rana - who've I've never heard of - this wouldn't be in the high profile category IMHO.

For a high profile centre I'd be thinking Gits returning (he did allude to that on Twitter & we all know how accurate that is) or may Hooper transitioning from #7 at the Tahs to be a world-beating centre for the Force.....
    I'd prefer Giteau

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    I'll eat my hat if it isn't Rona - second highest try scorer in the NRL last year, on the verge of international selection, and a 'product' of WA rugby.

Champion
    vCash

With the greatest of respect Curtis Rona is high profile. Eastern states leaguies have been moaning about his probable move because he is already a star with even more potential. He was tipped to be playing for NZ this year. And yes he is a mungo but he started at the Roo Dogs so finally we get a homecoming of our own. As for Gits, I think I saw a pig fly past my office window and didn't Sinderberry say outside back or was I given the wrong info as I wasn't there.?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quade to play inside?

vCash
    Curtis Rona: From Fox sports a week or two back:

Rona scored 23 tries in his first full NRL season with the Bulldogs last year, and his signing would give the Perth-based franchise a much-needed boost in scoring firepower.

Rona was born in New Zealand, but moved to Perth when he was eight.

The 194cm, 102kg powerhouse was a member of the Force junior academy, before making the switch to league in 2009.

When the smoke first started it was touted as an audacious move by the Force into league circles, definitely in the high profile stakes.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Champion
    vCash
    From today's West
    Meanwhile Rona had discussions yesterday with his management team about his future at the Canterbury Bulldogs.
    Rona has been in talks with the ARU and the Force and it is understood he wants an early release from his Bulldogs contract that runs until the end of next season.
    The 102kg outside back who has scored 33 tries in 45 games for the Bulldogs started his rugby career with local club Wanneroo Districts and joined the Force junior academy after moving to Perth from New Zealand with his family.
    He played for the Junior Kiwi league side in 2012 and last year was a member of the New Zealand squad that toured the UK but did not play.

More
    https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...h-force/#page1

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Sounds like our work is done and he is just waiting on the Dirty Dogs (just for you Shasta) to let him out.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Quade to play inside?
    If Quade does not go back to Reds I will eat my hat!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    From the Courier Mail online:

Bulldogs ace Curtis Rona set to quit NRL to join rugby’s Western Force

JARRYD Hayne is back in rugby league but the NRL is set to lose one of its most promising backline stars, Bulldogs ace Curtis Rona, to rugby union.

The Courier-Mail understands Rona has sought permission to leave Belmore, with Western Force officials privately claiming they have lured the former Cowboys winger to the wild west for 2017.

Aware of rugby’s poaching bid, Canterbury explored contingency plans, making overtures to Cowboys rising star Javid Bowen as a replacement.

But they missed out on Bowen, who signed a two-year upgrade with the Cowboys on Tuesday.

The 24-year-old Rona is contracted to the Bulldogs until the end of next season, but Force bosses are telling rugby insiders he will be on deck for the 2017 Super Rugby kick-off in February.

Rona, who has 33 tries in 45 games for the Bulldogs, has strong ties to Perth. He was born in New Zealand but moved to Western Australia with his family at age five and took up rugby league with Joondalup Giants.

e was later poached by rugby and catapulted into the Western Force Academy in 2009, only for Rona to ramp up his NRL career after being spotted by the Cowboys.

The rangy three-quarter is not afraid to take career gambles. In 2014, after only seven NRL games, he shocked the Cowboys by rejecting a three-year $500,000 package to defect to the Bulldogs, where the 102kg hulk has proven a tryscoring machine.

While Rona has a huge future in rugby league, one major setback is his inability to play State of Origin.

Under NRL rules, Rona is ineligible to represent Queensland or NSW, but a move to rugby could see him qualifying for the Wallabies.

Last year, Rona told The Courier-Mail he wished to play for the Maroons.

“I would love to play State of Origin, but under the rules, I can’t do it,” Rona said.

“I’ve looked into my eligibility and basically the only teams I can represent are New Zealand or Australia.

“Because I lived most of my years in Perth, the new rules have bumped me out of Origin contention, but I could still play for Australia.

“It’s all a bit confusing. I was allowed to play for Queensland Residents, but unless they change the rules I can’t play Origin.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/...97294fc3605db2

Champion
    vCash
    Rugby league
    Position Centre, Wing
    Club
    Years Team Pld T G FG P
    2007–08 Melbourne Storm 52 36 5 0 154
    2009–10 Brisbane Broncos 39 37 0 0 148
    Total 91 73 5 0 302

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_Folau

Playing information
    Position Wing, Centre
    Club
    Years Team Pld T G FG P
    2014 North Queensland Cowboys 7 6 0 0 24
    2015– Canterbury Bulldogs 44 34 0 0 136
    Total 51 40 0 0 160

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtis_Rona

Both Ronas and Folaus tryscoring stats from their NRL careers. Both guys stand 194/195 cm and 105kgs. Rona would be a very handy pickup i would of thought looking at highlights and stats. Also a massive upgrade on what we have already in Rasolea or Brache. I think we should be excited about signing Rona if he can bring that sort of tryscoring to our team.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Big thanks to RWA and Mark for the wonderful evening. It was very insightful and informative. I appreciated how all questions were answered with complete honesty (besides stuff like who applied for the coaching job ect... for perfectly good reasons). For all those of you who missed out try and make the next members forum as they are a great way to see what is happening with the force.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast