Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Toulon threatens Matt Giteau with loss of payments should veteran join Wallabies camp

vCash

Toulon threatens Matt Giteau with loss of payments should veteran join Wallabies camp

MATT Giteau is being strong-armed into missing next month’s Bledisloe Cup Tests by a French club which will do anything to prevent him rejoining the Wallabies.

French sources have indicated that Toulon is playing hardball to prevent him returning to Australia under the Giteau Law that bears his name.

Toulon will refuse to honour contract payments if the 102-Test star joins the Wallabies for The Rugby Championship campaign.

More than that, there is less than subtle pressure from Toulon for Giteau, 33, to retire from Test rugby altogether.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/t...cb9de878e68475

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I'd counsel him to call the bluff.

The IRB ruling that says he must be released for test duties surely will help in any ensuing court case for damages.

If it comes to it, they can only "dock his pay" for the days he doesn't turn up to work anyway. It's be fantastic to watch Gits (who can probably afford it) show Toulon who's really in charge of his contract.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Didnt at last years RWC there was a report he was foregoing some 200k just to play for Wallabies?

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Correct mate, both him and Drew were not paid by Toulon while they were at RWC.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Same bullsh*t that's been wreaking havoc with the Pacific Island and Eastern European nations for years.

And meanwhile they insist on having this ridiculously long season in France that's still going when the June tests are on.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I'm with GIGS.

the french clubs can deal. and i'd love to watch someone to stick it to Boudjellal

vCash
    Players can't have it both ways. They either earn shitloads overseas or they stay here to play for the Wallabies. No sympathy from me I'm afraid.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Players can't have it both ways. They either earn shitloads overseas or they stay here to play for the Wallabies. No sympathy from me I'm afraid.
    I hear you - but this is something that world rugby are allowing. They decided to force clubs to release international players.
    If I owned a club I'd have it written into a contract that you don't get paid for the working days you miss while on international duty.

Had something else to add but I lost my train of thought...

vCash
    Oh I remember now - another argument for the international season.

Instead of the different clubs refusing to move their tournaments (RFU you knobs) - they should work collaboratively with their own stakeholders and the other international alliances & their steak holders to *try* to make it work *as best it can*

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    And even though he would probably be a bonus for the Wallabies he's taking the place of someone else coming through who needs to be developed. Gits made his choice, got well paid for it ($250,000 for the WC. would barely have dented his income), we can't go on relying on these guys to keep playing on. How can the Wallabies develop depth without new talent? I can also Toulons owners side, Gits has hardly played any rugby the past couple of seasons with injuries also from the WC. I wouldn't be happy paying a huge contract for a player who keeps going off to do his own thing and then paying for his rehab.

vCash
    Hear hear Val

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    And even though he would probably be a bonus for the Wallabies he's taking the place of someone else coming through who needs to be developed. Gits made his choice, got well paid for it ($250,000 for the WC. would barely have dented his income), we can't go on relying on these guys to keep playing on. How can the Wallabies develop depth without new talent? I can also Toulons owners side, Gits has hardly played any rugby the past couple of seasons with injuries also from the WC. I wouldn't be happy paying a huge contract for a player who keeps going off to do his own thing and then paying for his rehab.
    I agree with you Val I also have had people saying on this forum Re. Hodgo .. that he should step aside to allow development of players.. well this is jut the same situation.. Forget the next 12 months bring in all younger players and we can go forward.. also agree on the money spent on Gits rehab I know I would be pissed if an employee was moonlighting and got hurt after getting back to work after an injury

vCash
    as he showed in the world cup he is the best we have and is a credit to this country

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vulcan View Post
    as he showed in the world cup he is the best we have and is a credit to this country
    Yes a credit to his country and a good player .. But if this is all we have then the ARU have a lot to do.. shows that we are not blooding young players to take over from the older ones...The more they do this and brig back has beans the worse it will get as the young ones have no incentive to play for..

vCash
    It's up to the young players to force the older players out - not to have their spots handed to them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast