Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another Force Wallaby

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Another Force Wallaby

BILL Meakes is a shock member of the Wallabies training squad, with the new Western Force signing becoming one of the only players in history without Super Rugby experience to be drafted into a national training camp.
    The centre left Australia two years ago after failing to get interest from Australia’s five Super Rugby franchises and played in a second-tier competition for Bristol club Clifton before strong form prompted him to get a start at first team Gloucester.
    It was his strong performances for Gloucester under former Brumbies coach Laurie Fisher that has turned his career.
    Bill Meakes previously played for Gloucester.
    Source: Getty Images
    The Telegraph revealed Meakes was returning to Australia to join the Western Force earlier this month, and he will finally get the chance to play Super Rugby in 2017.
    He’d played Shute Shield for Randwick previous to his England move, but despite playing for Australia’s Sevens team and under-20s, he was overlooked by Super franchises.

Meakes gambled with a move to the United Kingdom and after breaking through to Gloucestoer’s top side found himself playing alongside internationals including Greig Laidlaw, Richard Hibbard, James Hook, Jonny May, Billy Twelvetrees, John Afoa and Ben Morgan.
    But Meakes had an exit clause written into his initial contract that if he received any offers from Super Rugby clubs, he could leave.
    The Force offered him a two-year deal, and Fisher was happy for Meakes to return in a bid to fight for a potential Wallabies cap.
    Australian rugby coach Michael Cheika has named his training squad ahead of the Bledisloe series against NZ.
    Source: AFP
    But Meakes would not have dreamt that he would be training with an extended Wallabies squad a few weeks after returning to Australia.
    It is not expected that he will be retained once the squad is cut on August 5, but it shows that Meakes is in the thinking of Wallabies coach Michael Cheika.
    Meakes can play inside or outside centre, though he spent most of his time at Gloucester at No. 13.
    The Wallabies are now in camp in Sydney in preparation for the August 20 showdown against the All Blacks at ANZ Stadium, although Brumbies players who last Friday’s quarter-final have a week’s break before joining the squad.
    Meanwhile, former Wallabies winger Digby Ioane is set for a surprise move to New Zealand side the Crusaders.
    Bill Meakes in action for Gloucester.
    Source: Getty Images
    Ioane was a part of the Queensland side that defeated the Crusaders in the 2011 Super Rugby final, before he moved to Stade Francais in France and then Honda in the Japan Top League where has been based for the past year.
    The Crusaders have lost giant winger Nemani Nadolo to Montpellier — who have also signed Wallaby winger Joe Tomane — and the Crusaders are set to recruit Ioane as Nadolo’s replacement.
    Ioane played 35 Tests for the Wallabies and was a key member of the side during the 2011 World Cup.
    The Crusaders are not averse to signing Aussie talent — they poached Ben Volavola and Michael Alaalatoa from the Waratahs at the start of the year and both helped them to make the quarter-finals this season.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Shit, maybe he's not quite the gamble I thought he would be!

Either that or, since he's already on the payroll, the ARU decided to get some training into him!

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    I wonder if he would have come here (Force) without any influence from ARU/Foley???

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    As mentioned in previous posts as long as we replace better than leaving we are making progress:

Daley > Hoskins
    Matiljow > Walton
    Meakes > Godwin (based soley on this article)
    Rana? > Rosolea

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Senior Player
    vCash
    I think this is just a case of Chieka has nothing too lose by having a look at him. Once he gets to Perth and starts training and playing for the Force then Cheika will not see much of him so may as well have a look now just in case he is a lot better than expected.

vCash
    It was my understanding that he's already in Perth and training with the Force

Champion
    vCash
    Arrived a couple of weeks ago.

vCash
    Whether it's coincidence or not, this has ticked one of my boxes for success of the alliance.

A player has returned from OS and slotted directly into the Wallabies squad. He's obviously no mungbean, he might not be up to Wallaby standard yet, but Cheika will surely have received some mail on the boy....possibly from Laurie Fisher, and think he's worth a look.

If we look at the players who are leaving....Rasolea has been playing right under Cheika's nose for several years and not even cracked the hint of a training run.......that's an improvement in anybody's books. Godwin is similar, although he was on the cusp of selection and missed out through injury....never regained that form.

It makes it a happy Gigs day!

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    I wonder if he would have come here (Force) without any influence from ARU/Foley???
    ARU certainly. Stick him at the Force, see how he goes then move him over east if he proves to be any good.....

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    That's a bit negative. There are plenty of reasons to want to stay in WA.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    That's not "my" thinking - it's my (albeit cynical) view of what the ARU was thinking when allowing him to come to the Force.

I have yet to be given any reason to accept the ARU is genuine in wanting to make us a winning team.

Rookie
    vCash
    Cheika might know him through Randwick

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post

I have yet to be given any reason to accept the ARU is genuine in wanting to make us a winning team.
    And what reason have they given you that they are not genuine in wanting to make us a winning team?

Most of us thought Foley should go (timing was arguable but I'm fine with it), player signings so far have been upgrades or at least even. And just because Hodgo hasn't been signed yet means to me that they are looking at what's best for the team; signing a very loyal player who is not who he once was to a big contract can be more harmful than helpful.

So far I think they are trying to make the Force better. To me the big tell will be the coach hiring.

vCash
    All fair points. My default position with the ARU is to distrust them until they prove me wrong. So far I've not seen enough to convince me they have earned my trust.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I would have said arguable points.

I think the better question would be what, in the history of the Force and ARU going back to ever, would give anyone confidence that they are now suddenly fighting the Force's corner? I've certainly not seen it in the hiring...so far as far as I can tell it has been nothing but players that are either unwanted or untested. Not one seems to have been recruited in competition with another side. We'll see if it is any different with the coach, but I would scarcely have believed there could have been less process than the last two. Looks to me we'll just get the same again though, and they'll just pick someone that suits them. Thank God Nucifora is out of the loop.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast