Thread: Force to regain rugby journeyman

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Force to regain rugby journeyman

Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    July 20, 2016, 10:13 am

Second-rower Ben Matwijow is set to return to the Western Force after a three-year road trip that has taken him to NSW, New Zealand and Queensland.

Matwijow, 26, was at the Force in 2013 on a short term contract and played against the touring British and Irish Lions.

He had a training stint with Melbourne Rebels the previous year.

Since then he has played Shute Shield for North Sydney and for NSW Country Eagles in the National Rugby Championship.

He was in the Canterbury side that lifted the New Zealand national provincial championship last year before signing for the Reds as injury cover for Kane Douglas.

Matwijow will play in the New Zealand competition again this year for Taranaki before heading back to Perth.

The Force need to boost their second row stocks with the loss of Steve Mafi and Rory Walton both to French clubs.

Meanwhile it is understood back-rower Gus Cottrell is close to re-signing with the Force.

Cottrell made his Super Rugby debut in 2012 and has been a consistent starter since although he suffered a horrific ankle injury with two rounds left of the 2014 season and missed the last two games of this year with an ankle injury.

The Force are expected to confirm within days that centre Kyle Godwin has signed with the Brumbies.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...rneyman/#page1

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Welcome on board Ben, as I mentioned in a previous post each replacement needs to better than who has left I think Ben > Rory so a positive in the Ledger.

Godwin's replacement is going to be hard to get a positive in the ledger though.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    Welcome on board Ben, as I mentioned in a previous post each replacement needs to better than who has left I think Ben > Rory so a positive in the Ledger.

Godwin's replacement is going to be hard to get a positive in the ledger though.
    Meakes might be > Godwin. Godwin has done nothing for 3 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha Handy View Post
    Meakes might be > Godwin. Godwin has done nothing for 3 years.
    OK, no disrespect to Billy Meakes, but at least Godwin has shown potential in his past. I would contend that if Meakes had shown what Godwin has shown he'd have started for the Wallatahs by now and be locked away from any other country (a la Naiyaravoro)

Certainly, Kyle isn't setting the world on fire at the moment for the Force, so I don't think we should be shedding any tears. Meakes might end up like DHP who really wasn't ready for Super Rugby a few years ago, but the stint in France turned him into a genuine Wallaby contender. If that's the case, I'd take Meakes over keeping Kyle in a heartbeat.

I'm just a little concerned about the rhetoric before the alliance announcement being that we'll have more power to draw talented players and the evidence so far has been that nothing is really changing. We still sign the washed up (Daley), the gamble (Meakes) and the Fringe (Matwijow)

Hopefully Rona will reverse the trend!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    Really, Godwin has done nothing for 3 years. Class is permanent form is temporary. Good players respond to good coaches and systems, Kyle has had nothing to work with for 3 years.
    He will succeed at the Brumbies and will represent Australia.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by choice View Post
    Really, Godwin has done nothing for 3 years. Class is permanent form is temporary. Good players respond to good coaches and systems, Kyle has had nothing to work with for 3 years.
    Agree. He will flourish at the Brumbs.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Champion
    vCash
    When you think about it there isn't too many who has improved their game under the Foley regime, in fact the vast majority have gone backwards.His whole tenure was one massive stuff up.
    I wish Kyle Godwin all the best and hope he can fufil his massive potential under coaching staff that embrace and can implement the modern game.

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by choice View Post
    I agree that if he goes he will shine at the nags playing outside and inside test level wallabies.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I wish Kyle the best, but the Brumbies backline has been dire this season despite plenty of talent. Larkham was a great player but has shown nothing as a coach. Hopefully with Godwin gone, Jooste will come back for 2018.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.