Thread: Western Force look to clinch signature of Canterbury Bulldogs NRL star Curtis Rona

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

Western Force look to clinch signature of Canterbury Bulldogs NRL star Curtis Rona

AFTER a week from hell, the tide is set to turn for the Western Force.

We hear they are closing in on the signing of Bulldogs NRL try-scoring sensation Curtis Rona.

The high-profile coup would give the Force a much-needed boost after the drunken controversy in South Africa and poor performances of 2016.

Rona was being mentioned as a contender for the Queensland State of Origin side last year after he broke through as one of league’s best finishers, but then discovered that he was not eligible to play in the code’s showpiece event because he’d spent 12 years of his childhood in Western Australia.

Rona played for the Wanneroo district rugby club and was in the Force’s academy before he switched to league fulltime in 2009.

He made his NRL debut in 2014 for North Queensland, scoring six tries in seven games, before switching to the Bulldogs, for who he’s scored 34 tries in 42 games.

More of this story here

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Champion
    vCash
    Old news

vCash
    Looks a done deal now. Rona's try scoring has taken a hit since Brett Morris' return from injury. Rona has moved from the wing to right center and the Dogs throw most of their attack to the left. With Mbai + Morrisx2 down that flank, it's a given. I hope this and his code change don't cost him and end of year tour. He deserves to go again - and get a game this time.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/c...09-gqoc8u.html

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Looks a done deal now. Rona's try scoring has taken a hit since Brett Morris' return from injury. Rona has moved from the wing to right center and the Dogs throw most of their attack to the left.
    Could this be a "he's gone now, no point in developing him further" deal?

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Could this be a "he's gone now, no point in developing him further" deal?
    Possible. This is a very big decision for him. Must becompelling reasons for him and his missus to return to Perth.

vCash
    I don't know the full story so can only speculate could he be calculating a higher income if he gets a wallaby jersey?

Could it be the infamous homesickness that has shafted us in times of yore?

C'mon the

vCash
    It'd have to be..... It certainly couldn't be the team song, no-one's heard it!

vCash

Hapy wife, happy life? Maybe he, like plenty of others, just wants to try Rugby (the baffling part is still his being on the cusp of International rep honours).

As a complete aside; saw a great interview on Sterlo with Matt Rogers. He mentioned all the Rugby nay-sayers when the ARU offered him a contract (anyone we know ). He said that what they didn't realise is that from the age of 12 to 19 he didn't play RL. All Rugby. Qld and Aus Schools with team mates, Ben Tune , Nathan Grey, Elton Flatley and others........ Also said he did it for less money than he was offered to stay at Cronulla.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    As a complete aside; saw a great interview on Sterlo with Matt Rogers. He mentioned all the Rugby nay-sayers when the ARU offered him a contract (anyone we know ). He said that what they didn't realise is that from the age of 12 to 19 he didn't play RL. All Rugby. Qld and Aus Schools with team mates, Ben Tune , Nathan Grey, Elton Flatley and others........ Also said he did it for less money than he was offered to stay at Cronulla.[/QUOTE]

HE SHOULD HAVE FOLLOWED HIS FATHER AND PLAYED FOR NSW..

vCash
    He said his dad told him to play for Qld. Grew up there. Played all his junior reps as a Qeenslander. If Sludge had played in the Origin era he probably would have been a stinkin' cand toad too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    As a complete aside; saw a great interview on Sterlo with Matt Rogers. He mentioned all the Rugby nay-sayers when the ARU offered him a contract (anyone we know ). He said that what they didn't realise is that from the age of 12 to 19 he didn't play RL. All Rugby. Qld and Aus Schools with team mates, Ben Tune , Nathan Grey, Elton Flatley and others........ Also said he did it for less money than he was offered to stay at Cronulla.
    I think that was one of the major reasons Bob Dwyer sought him out to come back to rugby. I remember he wasn't really on the ARU's radar at the time, they were all after Sailor, but Bob was thinking along the lines of how well Andrew Walker was going at the Brumbies, so thought Rogers would have a similar impact. He was astute, ol' Bob.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    I think that was one of the major reasons Bob Dwyer sought him out.... He was astute, ol' Bob.
    The thing that came out in the interview, and naturally Rogers didn't want to answer the critics with it at the time, was the crushing personal reasons that made him feel he needed the change. Great interview.