Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Meakes signs on dotted line as Force shuffle pack

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    But I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of people's reasons why they WOULDN'T want them.
    There are probably a few rugby reasons, but I won't even speculate here. Any possible issues would be cancelled out by both of them being light years better than any back currently involved with the team (yes, even Jono Lance and to a lesser extent DHP) From a human point of view, I wouldn't be interested in the media circus that seems to follow both of them. It might not be enough for me to say no, but I'd not be keen.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Yes ex I am glass half empty at the moment, I admit it.

The Reds and the tahs are still the go to destination for big names returning from os and that is the entirety of the problem.

I dont see how we can blame the ARU for this.

Lets say Justin Jacobson born in South Brisbane, played for Brisbane Brothers from under 10's WallaRugby to Grade and 18 games off the bench for the Reds, moves to the Liverpudlian ChickenPluckers for 3 years of Chicken Plucking Rugby, and is thinking its time to move home - he gets his manager to talk to the Reds to see if there is any interest in him coming home. Instead of the Reds contacting him he gets an email from the ARU high performance unit saying sure you are welcome to play Rugby in Australia - But ONLY for the Western Force.

First up I am pretty sure that would probably come under some form of Restraint of Trade and I am sure that every other Australian Super Rugby team would go completely nuts.

Short of a welcome back email - would you consider playing in the West? - I really dont see how we can realistically put such high expectations on the Western Force/ARU Recruitment team as you are suggesting.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Which is what I expected - that the need to show themselves as fair and impartial will mean the ARU will be even less effective at recruitment than the Force were. They'll only consider players that either no-one else knows about or wants, terrified of being accused of interference by those they see as their real constituency.

vCash
    Hey ex, I understand your point of view, but I don't share it. NZRU seem to have no problems running a system which spreads talent around the franchises, so it clearly isn't impossible.

Hansie has also said that we would be happy with the outcome of the alliance (or takeover, buy out, whatever you want to call it) and that the focus will be upon improving performance.

Said improvement in performance will not come with us doing the same stuff that we've done for 11 years and calling it all we can do. The only way anything will turn around is through improving the quality of the personnel.

Now I do recognise that any signing we make before the coach will be done under the same pressures as if we hadn't been rescued, nobody who's worth a toss will sign until they know who the coach is, but why, oh why are we filling contracts with players who will sign under those conditions (unless the plan is a whole lot more cunning than I give credit for and they're keeping 23 names until they've sorted the coach out)

I think that's unlikely. Until we see a genuine signature from a code hopper, somebody who's being warehoused by the tahs or brumbies or a name that Cheika has said he wants for the wallabies I will say nothing has changed.

If nothing changes our fate's sealed.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    One year contracts is all they will get rid they sign before the coach, so the new coach can clear them out next year if required.

Last edited by The InnFORCEr; 14-07-16 at 10:16.
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    One year contracts is all they will get id they sign before the coach, so the new coach can clear them out next year if required.
    C'mon mate. You've been around here long enough to know that common sense has totally disappeared from the posts around here!
    Stop with your logic based reasoning! You're scaring the locals

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rookie
    vCash
    Hey ex, I understand your point of view, but I don't share it. NZRU seem to have no problems running a system which spreads talent around the franchises, so it clearly isn't impossible.

Hansie has also said that we would be happy with the outcome of the alliance (or takeover, buy out, whatever you want to call it) and that the focus will be upon improving performance.

Said improvement in performance will not come with us doing the same stuff that we've done for 11 years and calling it all we can do. The only way anything will turn around is through improving the quality of the personnel.

Now I do recognise that any signing we make before the coach will be done under the same pressures as if we hadn't been rescued, nobody who's worth a toss will sign until they know who the coach is, but why, oh why are we filling contracts with players who will sign under those conditions (unless the plan is a whole lot more cunning than I give credit for and they're keeping 23 names until they've sorted the coach out)

I think that's unlikely. Until we see a genuine signature from a code hopper, somebody who's being warehoused by the tahs or brumbies or a name that Cheika has said he wants for the wallabies I will say nothing has changed.

If nothing changes our fate's sealed.
    Attachment 4443

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Yes ex I am glass half empty at the moment, I admit it.
    It's not about the glass being half empty or half full.

If you had a smaller glass, or more beer, or bar staff that can pour a beer without spilling it every bloody where there wouldn't be a problem.

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    More beer, definitely more beer

C'mon the

vCash
    More beer, definitely more beer
    The cause and solution to all the world's problems

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    It's not about the glass being half empty or half full.

If you had a smaller glass, or more beer, or bar staff that can pour a beer without spilling it every bloody where there wouldn't be a problem.
    But the truly cynical allow someone else to confirm that it is actually beer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    bar staff that can pour a beer without spilling it every bloody where there wouldn't be a problem.
    To torture a metaphor even further - I'd say that's what our problem is right now...

vCash
    Beer is not the answer

"Beer?" Is the question

vCash
    "Here you go" is the answer

C'mon the

vCash
    "Here you go" is the answer