Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Western Force skipper Pek Cowan stripped of captaincy after drunken hotel incident

vCash
    SEETHING Western Force skipper Matt Hodgson accused fellow players of ruining the culture of the club in a fiery meeting regarding their drunken behaviour in South Africa last week.

The injured Hodgson took aim at the group of culprits who acted inappropriately at their hotel which included Wallaby stars Dane Haylett-Petty, Adam Coleman and Pek Cowan.

In a sign of deep division within the Force ranks, Hodgson blasted the misbehaving players after a training session on Wednesday, telling them they were denigrating the club and lacking leadership qualities.

Cowan, who had taken over from Hodgson as skipper, has been stripped of the Force captaincy this weekend, while natural successor Haylett-Petty was overlooked for breaching leadership standards.

Winger Luke Morahan will skipper the side against the Stormers in Perth on Saturday.

After losing 30-29 to the Cheetahs last Saturday, Force players went out drinking and broke curfew of 1am.

Upon return to the Southern Sun Bloemfontein hotel, a play-fight between brothers Dane and Ross Haylett-Petty in the foyer grew heated and a vase was broken. Dane Haylett-Petty paid to replace the vase the next morning.

Coleman had a minor argument with prop Francois Van Wyk, though that did not turn physical and the pair made up quickly afterwards.

One unidentified player then urinated in the hotel hallway. It’s understood he was locked out of their room and too drunk to control himself.

Hodgson’s spray has left relations strained between players.

An ARU spokesman said the matter was still under investigation and that they could not rule out further action against players.

In announcing their team Thursday, the Force said in a media release: “Luke Morahan will captain the side after Pek Cowan and Dane Haylett-Petty were deemed to have breached the club’s leadership standards while on tour in South Africa”.

However, they gave no further details, while Cowan and Haylett-Petty were still named to play in the match. Ross Haylett-Petty has been named to start at lock.

This is in contrast to Kiwi side the Hurricanes, who stood down five players after they breached curfew by 18 minutes in South Africa earlier this season.

The latest controversy continues a disastrous year for the Force.

They are last in the Australian conference with just two wins all year – after claiming the wooden spoon in 2015 – and their finances are so shaky that the ARU had to step in to take over the running of the club.

Dane Haylett-Petty was involved in the drunken incident in South Africa.
    Dane Haylett-Petty was involved in the drunken incident in South Africa.Source:AFP
    Players have steadily been signing deals overseas or with rival clubs throughout the year, with up to 13 set to leave at the end of the season.

Then Foley was sacked after his poor record was deemed unsustainable.

It has also recently emerged that Perth-raised Wallaby Kyle Godwin is set to leave the club for the Brumbies.

The drunken saga has also soured the good news the Force have received this week, with Queensland prop Ben Daley signing for next year and Australian-born centre Bill Meakes also joining the franchise.

The incident is particularly disappointing for the ARU in light of Dane Haylett-Petty and Coleman making their Test debuts for the Wallabies last month.

It is understood the ARU only learned of the incident as the story broke on Thursday.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/f...a0399de965a426

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Through tough times I haven't questioned my membership until this point but this does feel like having it thrown back in my face.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Not ideal but surely not that bad. Silly drunken behaviour after another loss and a horrid season. Accept punishment and move on.

vCash
    Agree, not really much compared to other deeds by 3 amigos, pretty surprised tho at Pek. Have never ever heard or seen that from him which was pretty dumb. Sounds like they've had enough of this season as well, but no excuse. What shits me is this is the only time the Force have made the news all bloody year! Good on Hodgo for having a spray- naughty boys been told off, move on.

vCash
    I have a major issue with this curfew shit that goes back to my working on site.
    Quite frankly I think it's ridiculous that your employer can impose that adults have to be in bed or somewhere else by a certain time.
    As an employee they don't get paid 24 hours a day, so their free time is theirs to do whatever they want.

I've got no issues with having to report to work at X o'clock fit for the day. But as a general rule curfews piss me off.

However being on what is essentially a work trip and getting that hammered you take a piss in the hallway is ludicrous.

Brother's scuffling in public whether they were playing or not is also ridiculous. Take it behind closed doors and beat the shit out of each other until someone cries, just like you did back in the day when you were hiding from your parents. Just don't leave marks on each other & there's no questions asked... (Yes I have a brother)

Wessels isn't doing his selection criteria any favours by letting this happen on his watch.
    Agree with the punishments given they were collectively acting like a bunch of mungo players

Player
    vCash
    2 big brothers wrestling and things got broken.
    May have just bumped him as mates do after a couple and a decoration. Got paid for with apologies the next day.
    Can imagine Mum HP saying this is why we can't have nice things.
    Not ideal - no biggie - move on.
    An arguement between a couple forwards - while there is massive instability within the organisational group.
    Not ideal - hardly surprising - move on.

Fucking media sprinkling their emotive language and dribbling gossip and scandal. Stirring shit like a couple of regulars on here.

Pissing in the passage - dumb shit manoeuvre - this is dumb and disrespectful. But unfortunately it happens and gives ammunition to white knights on high horses and social media and forums runts. Massive face palm.

Captains roared. Absolutely understand and agree with his disappointment. He has spoken, that's enough for me.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    I have a major issue with this curfew shit that goes back to my working on site.
    Quite frankly I think it's ridiculous that your employer can impose that adults have to be in bed or somewhere else by a certain time.
    As an employee they don't get paid 24 hours a day, so their free time is theirs to do whatever they want.

I've got no issues with having to report to work at X o'clock fit for the day. But as a general rule curfews piss me off.

However being on what is essentially a work trip and getting that hammered you take a piss in the hallway is ludicrous.

Brother's scuffling in public whether they were playing or not is also ridiculous. Take it behind closed doors and beat the shit out of each other until someone cries, just like you did back in the day when you were hiding from your parents. Just don't leave marks on each other & there's no questions asked... (Yes I have a brother)

Wessels isn't doing his selection criteria any favours by letting this happen on his watch.
    Agree with the punishments given they were collectively acting like a bunch of mungo players
    Don't believe everything you read.
    What the info the media is given is a lot different to what actually happened!

vCash
    Also got no issues if the playing group is divided post spray from hodgo.
    The ones feeling patronised still care & the ones feeling embarrassed sound like they deserve to be.

It's the ones who no longer care that are dangerous to the culture

vCash
    Huh, imagine the apoplexy from members of this forum if it had been Wallabies from another franchise.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Also got no issues if the playing group is divided post spray from hodgo.
    The ones feeling patronised still care & the ones feeling embarrassed sound like they deserve to be.

It's the ones who no longer care that are dangerous to the culture
    Culture? What fucking culture when the captain and vice captains are fucking up!
    When do you recall McCaw and Carter fucking up?

vCash
    I think the boys should all be stood down for 1 game and have player payments donated to their local club.. Rugby WA need to take a stance. If you read the application form for the head coach role things like this are mentioned.. I think Wessels might have put his application further down the pile..I will be there on Saturday Rain or shine and I do realise the battle will be big but standing thee players down will ake a difference to the result but discipline off the field is paramount...

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by whodunnit View Post
    Culture? What fucking culture when the captain and vice captains are fucking up!
    When do you recall McCaw and Carter fucking up?
    Only the allegations of domestic abuse aimed at McCaw, iirc.
    But then also the instances of unruly behaviour by Ranger, Guildford, Cruden, Mils etc to name a few, don't play that stupid card - it happened to the English players. It happened to the Aus swimming team, it's happened to "A-list celebrities" the world over. It happens the world over from all different sporting codes.
    It's dumb every time.
    Calm down

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by F Man View Post
    Huh, imagine the apoplexy from members of this forum if it had been Wallabies from another franchise.
    From pet examples of poor player behaviour the scenario would be as follows:

Players from Reds/Waratahs get pissed and act like dickheads = Culture issues and general forum outrage.
    Players from the Force get pissed and act like dickheads = Boys will be boys and nothing to see here.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Attachment 4436

This is the hotel they stayed at (not that it necessarily matters). Wonder where the external urinal was...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Name:  coleman.JPG
Views: 434
Size:  70.7 KB

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast