Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: under-20 centre Bill Meakes, Godwin etc

vCash
    Ben Daley is a plod.

Does anyone have any info on this Meakes fellow? I've never heard of him.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    Why are the Force signing guys before we have a coach anyway?
    You would think you would get the coach first so he can recruit the players he wants to play the style of game he is planning.

I guess some of this players may go elsewhere if we don't act now.

With the player turnover after this season we probably have to be realistic and accept that next season will be one where new players will be gelling with new coach. Probably wont be instant results.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeansyjive View Post
    You would think you would get the coach first so he can recruit the players he wants to play the style of game he is planning.

I guess some of this players may go elsewhere if we don't act now.

With the player turnover after this season we probably have to be realistic and accept that next season will be one where new players will be gelling with new coach. Probably wont be instant results.
    Probably couldn't be any worse than this year. Not much more we can lose. Funny how the only one coming out of this smelling like roses is Mr Sinderbury. Things started to go on a fair down hill slide once the old accountant axe started to swing a few years back , about the same time as when he started. Can't help but think that if maybe a different approach was taken instead of cost cutting in crucial areas would we be in this position. I would like to be proved wrong though.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    The roses smell pretty bad around these parts if that's the case

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Champion
    vCash
    We are not signing the ones we need to sign like Hodgson and Godwin

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    The reality is that if we don't act now then we'll have missed the boat as ALL worthwhile players will have already moved north for the new NH season or decided to return home and snatched up by others.

Clearly the ARU have stepped up with Ben Whitaker's, General Manager High Performance involvement.
    The advertisement for the new Head Coach told us that the position reports to Ben Whitaker.
    The ARU are going to be heavily involved in, and have some ownership of, the rebuilding of the squad.
    They are likely to leave a few places left for the new coach to fill before to allow him (I can't imagine that there is a suitably qualified woman) to stamp a bit of a mark on the squad.

If anybody is going to know who is who in the zoo then it's likely to be Ben W.

I would imagine that Ben and the ARU gleaned as much information as possible re the strengths and weaknesses of the existing squad from Michael Foley BEFORE Foley was sacked. There are most likely ongoing discussions with the coaching panel, Matt Hodgson and Mark Sinderberry.

IF we are keen to build upon the current squad then we can't wait for the appointment of the new coach which could still be 2-3 months away.

I am still concerned that there has been lots of speculation but NIL announcements since Michael Foley was sacked 3 weeks ago.

PS.. Ben Daley may not be everyone's 1st choice but we still need experience on the field next year. Tetera Faulkner's achilles injury could be anything from 6-12 months. We may not even see him play next year. So we will need some more props - and preferably with experience.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by andrewg; 06-07-16 at 17:20.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    The reality is that if we don't act now then we'll have missed the boat as ALL worthwhile players will have already moved north for the new NH season or decided to return home and snatched up by others.

Clearly the ARU have stepped up with Ben Whitaker's, General Manager High Performance involvement.
    The advertisement for the new Head Coach told us that the position reports to Ben Whitaker.
    The ARU are going to be heavily involved in, and have some ownership of, the rebuilding of the squad.
    They are likely to leave a few places left for the new coach to fill before to allow him (I can't imagine that there is a suitably qualified woman) to stamp a bit of a mark on the squad.

If anybody is going to know who is who in the zoo then it's likely to be Ben W.

I would imagine that Ben and the ARU gleaned as much information as possible re the strengths and weaknesses of the existing squad from Michael Foley BEFORE Foley was sacked. There are most likely ongoing discussions with the coaching panel, Matt Hodgson and Mark Sinderberry.

IF we are keen to build upon the current squad then we can't wait for the appointment of the new coach which could still be 2-3 months away.

I am still concerned that there has been lots of speculation but NIL announcements since Michael Foley was sacked 3 weeks ago.

PS.. Ben Daley may not be everyone's 1st choice but we still need experience on the field next year. Tetera Faulkner's achilles injury could be anything from 6-12 months. We may not even see him play next year. So we will need some more props - and preferably with experience.
    I agree it is about building depth and if we are replacing the players we are losing (Hoskins) with better players (Daley) then that is an improvement. Daley was on the panel on rugby 360 tonight and seems a very knowledgeable bloke, he will add a lot more to the playing group than someone unknown South African club player.

Now let the signings continue

Player
    vCash
    Before people bag the Ben Daley signing, please consider that at least he's played finals rugby and has been part of a Super Rugby Championship, something the Force can only dream about. Lets give the guy a chance to prove himself in a new environment.

Welcome to the Sea of Blue Ben.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    To move forward we have to replace with better than what is leaving.

In my books Ben Daley is a big step up from Millar and Hoskins so this a positive in the ledger.

Welcome on board Ben it will be great to have you.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Player
    vCash
    Surely a franchise signs the best players available and then the coach bases his game plan on the strengths of the squad. That has been our problem so far, all our coaches have shown no flair or imagination.
    Were they all schoolteachers?

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by choice View Post
    Surely a franchise signs the best players available and then the coach bases his game plan on the strengths of the squad. That has been our problem so far, all our coaches have shown no flair or imagination.
    Were they all schoolteachers?
    Cue Giggs

vCash
    Leaving that alone, I've seen too many schoolteachers who make the argument too hard to win.

C'mon the

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2