Thread: Wallabies great George Smith to join Queensland Reds in Super Rugby

vCash

Wallabies great George Smith to join Queensland Reds in Super Rugby

Wallabies great George Smith to join Queensland Reds in Super Rugby

The Wallaby great is in the midst of moving back to Brisbane with his family from England, where he has been starring for Wasps and is tipped by many to win the player of the year award in the premiership.

The 35-year-old seems ageless, such has been the excellent consistency of his form, and he will replace Liam Gill who will leave for French glamour club Toulon.

Smith will also play two years in Japan’s Top League, and could potentially be available for the 2018 Super Rugby season as well, while its understood he is keen to pursue coaching opportunities in that time and beyond.

Smith, who played 111 Tests for the Wallabies, is considered one of the greatest flankers to have played the game.
    He recently helped England coach Eddie Jones prepare players for their tour to Australia, and Smith will also have be used in a coaching capacity while playing for Suntory.

While Smith has a long history at the Brumbies, his family has links to Brisbane and so he is set to settle there long-term while playing out the remaining few years of his stellar career.

Smith would bolster a 2017 Reds squad that has already locked in Wallabies captain Stephen Moore, and backrower Leroy Houston, while playmaker Quade Cooper is expected to confirm his return to the club shortly.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/s...064d44e0526063

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    How are they managing to find the money for all these superstars???

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Was going to say that means we now have a wallabies open side in every team then realised of course we had that this year. Although for me McMahon is not an open side.

George is still one of my favourite Wallabies and rugby players and always will be. The way he plays and acts on and off the field is something that is respected all over the globe. The reds have done well to secure such a great player hopefully they can secure Gill back in a couple of years.

Really happy to see players coming back from overseas that can still offer so much to Aussie rugby. Instead of luring league players I would rather see the money spent there.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    I wouldn't have thought that at age 35 he would command top dollar.

Great to see him back in Australia.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    How are they managing to find the money for all these superstars???
    I can't wait to see the massive stream of world-class players that will be rushing to sign with the Force now that the ARU alliance has been finalised.

(does this even need a sarcasm emoticon?)

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Move the ARU high performance unit to Perth and it might just happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I wouldn't have thought that at age 35 he would command top dollar.

Great to see him back in Australia.
    I wasn't thinking so much of him in isolation but in combination with Moore and Cooper. Mind you, the ARU will pay most of their two salaries I suppose. More evidence of the catch 22 the Force is - hopefully has been! - in.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    It'll be great sport watching Hodgo and Smith going head to head ..

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    I wasn't thinking so much of him in isolation but in combination with Moore and Cooper. Mind you, the ARU will pay most of their two salaries I suppose. More evidence of the catch 22 the Force is - hopefully has been! - in.
    Alison - has Cooper resigned with the Reds - honest question - I know there was talk of it but maybe I missed the announcement

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kipper_mckinnon View Post
    Alison - has Cooper resigned with the Reds - honest question - I know there was talk of it but maybe I missed the announcement

Cheika trying to bring Quade Cooper home

Michael Cheika has confirmed the Australian Rugby Union is actively trying to lure Quade Cooper back home.

Hot on the heels of Queensland's stunning signing of legendary Wallabies flanker George Smith, the Reds could have another big-name addition to their 2017 squad if Cheika's latest attempt at repatriating overseas-based players pays off.

Mercurial five-eighth Cooper left the Reds at the end of last year to sign a two-year deal with French glamour club Toulon, but the move hasn't worked out and the 28-year-old is understood to be keen to come home.

"I've been more than endorsing it - I've been out there trying to get him back," Cheika told a Reds luncheon in Brisbane on Friday.

"For many years players left Australia and we just said, `alright, you're gone now, see you later'.

"I played myself overseas in the non-professional era, and I know how good an experience it is.

"They haven't betrayed the country by going over there and having that experience.

"Let's see if we can tell them how much we want them back."

The Reds desperately need an experienced playmaker, with current No.10 Jake McIntyre a good prospect but struggling to compete consistently at Super Rugby level.

Cooper would also provide additional back-up to Wallabies flyhalf Bernard Foley, who edged him out in a months-long battle for the position in the lead-up to last year's World Cup.

"I know how much he loves playing in Australia," said Wallabies captain Stephen Moore, who has also signed for the Reds next year.

"It'd be a great thing having him back playing here. If it can all be worked out it would be a great result."

Reds executive general manager Daniel Herbert said there would be room for Cooper at Ballymore if he was able to secure a release from Toulon.

"If the desire's there... we don't like to comment until things are solidifying, but there's obviously room," Herbert said.

"The state certainly is involved but I'm an unashamed fan of Quade, have been for a long time.

"I think he gets unfairly tarnished at different times.

"If he wanted to come back, we'd welcome him."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...e-cooper-home/

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    It'll be great sport watching Hodgo and Smith going head to head ..
    In wheelchairs, at 86 yo, in the Old Rugby Players Home.....