Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Australia v England - 1st test 11.06.2016

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PerthGirl View Post
    Alison,I saw you on the Tv broadcast last night! You were giving a thumbs down for one of the English penalty kicks
    Yes, not the most flattering of TV appearances! Unfortunately, friends on all 5 continents seem to have clocked me (and my mate Steve in the Eng jersey next to me!) and filled all my inboxes with messages letting me know!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeJay View Post
    ...Moore and Hooper should have been in the ref's ear more, about holding players back at the ruck, offsides, etc.
    ...Coles was boring in and not packing straight, rather than retreating with tails between our legs when the penalty was awarded.
    ...We need a traditional back row - McCalman ALWAYS delivers the goods. Mc Mahon can come on for Fardy as an impact player. Gill at 7.
    The ref, along with a lot of others, got quite sick of Moore in his ear, and in the first few minutes of the second half told him to shut it.
    Arnold's favourite play seemed to be to stand in front of the backline, and play borderline obstruction, I would have marched him along time before he butchered that try, hard to tell whether he is doing it on instruction, or he just has no idea where to position himself.

From what I could see Coles bored in twice, he got done for hinging the second time, and after that Sio was just a jibbering mess, playing in the front row against England requires something more.

As for the traditional back row, I was surprised Cheika got greedy, and tried to use three flankers, especially when England always go for the power. Even with all those flankers on the field, it's most probably Haskell who springs to mind first.

England were very suspect out wide, on either wing, and their defence at times was a rabble. Jones has improved their attacking play, and combined with some forward dominance it's enough. Cheika has a good idea of this starting 15, and can either aim for redemption, or go back to some of his old lineup, who came out in the second half, and did OK against a tiring England team.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    We seemed to adopt a mungo tactic by having backrowers running in the backline which left us exposed a bit at the breakdown.
    There was patches of absolutely dominant running rugby that was simply remarkable. A couple of injuries seemed to stifle our flow and we were penalised out of the contest. Every time we held the ball and built phases it looked like we could score at will. The scrum got raped until the finishers came on. Expect Kepu to start in Melbourne. Sio got massacred. The young fella has a lot of promise and beat his opposite at the RWC so it was disappointing to see him so badly outscrummed. The scrum penalties killed us. Slipper did better but the reason Sio won the gig at RWC was because he scrummed better. Will be interesting to see whether Slipper starts next test.
    Pocock is out. Thats a big blow because Hooper doesn't win turnovers. Gill might start at 7 and Hooper at 8? McCalman will probably start with Hooper at 7 though. I think we suddenly dont win crucial turnovers in games and do a lot more defending.
    Trouble in paradise.
    Not sure about our number 12 options. Kerevi had great moments. He could become a great option. I don't like Lealiifano. We are missing real impact off the bench from the backline reserves. Our wingers aren't match winners. We need pace and power on the edges.
    Cheika will make the hard decisions. He has massive ones

Controversy corner

vCash
    Poms we're prepared to fight and wanted it more!

That is why they won.

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    Ok I am not a fan of Palu but what mongrel it would be to see Fardy@ 6 Ben Mac @8 and the rebels Read or Mac Mahon at 7 with the other on bench... Definitely Coleman in the frame for bench

I have been saying this everytime Hooper plays (Quote from Rex We seemed to adopt a mungo tactic by having backrowers running in the backline which left us exposed a bit at the breakdown.)

Player
    vCash
    What's with this fascination about Fardy, he spends most of the game looking for the TV cameras and stroking his beard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    AUSTRALIA has their work cut to keep the series alive after being outplayed by England at Suncorp Stadium. Which Wallabies starred and which ones flopped.

​ISRAEL FOLAU 7

Super attacking touch early but bad pass gave England a try. Too quiet in second half. Needs 20 touches a game.

DANE HAYLETT-PETTY 7

Assured performance on debut. Did all that was asked of him in attack and defence.

TEVITA KURIDRANI 5

Rarely sighted in attack and should have passed to Folau in the 69th minute for a try that could have changed the game.

SAMU KEREVI 5

Good hands on Hooper try but limited involvement otherwise. Needed to hunt for the ball on Foley’s inside.

ROB HORNE 4

Took a head knock in the first half and didn’t get much of a shot to play.

BERNARD FOLEY 7

Lovely touches to take an early lead but needed to take more control in the middle third. Missed kicks hurt too.

NICK PHIPPS 6.5

Pushed hard, as ever, but Phipps is so much more dangerous when playing more out of nine and hitting runners.

DAVID POCOCK 6.5

Pushed boundaries and the ref didn’t like it. Not as dominant a force as usual.

MICHAEL HOOPER 8

Best Wallaby on the field. Tackled like a demon, scored twice and inspired a fightback as last-quarter captain. Can’t fault the penalty goal call.

SCOTT FARDY 6

Quietish night from Fardy. Positioned wide in attack but didn’t register as much of the dirty breakdown work as usual.

ROB SIMMONS 4

Lost midway through first half to a back injury and the Wallaby line out suffered.

RORY ARNOLD 5.5

Started well enough with good tight work but fell off tackles and didn’t make an impact.

GREG HOLMES 6.5

Solid shift. Good workrate and link play, and held his side up at scrum time.

STEPHEN MOORE 6

Not a trademark performance from the skipper. Some scrappy line out work and let the team lose their cool at stages.

SCOTT SIO 4

Off night for the big Brumby. Was beaten by Dan Cole on his side at scrum time, and gave away a yellow.

RESERVES

TATAFU POLOTA-NAU 5.5

Added some oomph late and got the scrum settled. Will see more time in Melbourne.

JAMES SLIPPER 5.5

Helped clean up the scrum and had a few carries. Another who’ll push to start.

SEKOPE KEPU 5.5

Making a return from French rugby and also helped steady the scrum.

JAMES HORWILL 6

Added grunt from the bench and never quits working but lineout became unreliable.

DEAN MUMM 5.5

Looked for touches but was one of a number of Wallabies who didn’t sizzle.

SEAN MCMAHON 5

Late impact but ran straight into the teeth of some determined English defence.

NICK FRISBY 4

Only had a few minutes of action. Nothing wrong and nothing dramatic either.

CHRISTIAN LEALIIFANO 5.5

Played a good chunk of the game but needed to make his playmaking presence.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/wh...ef5fe94861eb40
    You probably know already, but Pocock out for rest of series with broken eye socket.... Why keep bringing Horwill back.. in my very humble opinion he is way past his useby date.. surely we have someone better.. .

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    Why keep bringing Horwill back.. in my very humble opinion he is way past his useby date.. surely we have someone better.. .
    Yes we do - his name is Adam Coleman.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Double ditto to that WF2006....

vCash
    I wonder how Kieran Longbottom is shaping up up the moment?

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    I wonder how Kieran Longbottom is shaping up up the moment?
    He signed for Sale after not getting a game for Saracens this year. I'd say he'd be a bit out of match fitness

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Senior Player
    vCash
    Well done to Dane on making the fox sports test team of the week. Well deserved after a great debut

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/tw...9b9104959896db

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rookie
    vCash
    Oh please pick Coleman this week...

just so we can stop all of this rubbish hype around him.... he is tall and wins line outs (that is his prime reason for being in a rugby team)... and?? he has been soft in contact all year with ball in hand and rarely breaks the gain line. I am sorry but IMHO I just cant see what all the fuss is about. He is not an Etzebeth, de Jager, Retallick or even an to be mentioned in the same breath as Sharpe.... and I just cant see the arrival of the Western Messiah as that X factor that will change the Wallabies this week.

Fine, give him a shot as he cant do as badly as the current crop but I just dont think he has the impact to make any difference.

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beauregard View Post

just so we can stop all of this rubbish hype around him.... he is tall and wins line outs (that is his prime reason for being in a rugby team)... and?? he has been soft in contact all year with ball in hand and rarely breaks the gain line. I am sorry but IMHO I just cant see what all the fuss is about. He is not an Etzebeth, de Jager, Retallick or even an to be mentioned in the same breath as Sharpe.... and I just cant see the arrival of the Western Messiah as that X factor that will change the Wallabies this week.

Fine, give him a shot as he cant do as badly as the current crop but I just dont think he has the impact to make any difference.
    I disagree - i see him in the exact same vein as sharpe. Lineouts, awkward running, mostly beats the gain line, but rarelt breaks the line. Solid and dependable.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beauregard View Post

He has consistently been among the top three per match for ruck involvements for the Force, and is often only second to Hodgo. He is secure in taking the ball up, and calls himself at difficult times in the lineout, and takes the line out ball almost invariably. And he is effective and cheeky in the defence of the rolling maul (a bit like how Sharpie was), remaining on side and getting through to tie up the ball carrier often. He is athletic and safe in retrieving the ball at re-starts also.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4