Immortal Contributor
    vCash

RUPA keen to talk central contracts with Australian Rugby Union

RUPA keen to talk central contracts with Australian Rugby Union

Ross Xenos Matt King/Getty Images for RUPA
    11:52 AM CT
    Sam Bruce
    ESPN Associate Editor

Australia's Rugby Union Players' Association is keen to enter into discussions around a central contracting system but isn't sure whether a New Zealand-style model can achieve similarly strong outcomes on this side of the Tasman.

A focus on offering the "best professional rugby experience" on the planet may in fact be of better service to Australia's five Super Rugby franchises and the Wallabies, though RUPA boss Ross Xenos says the current contracting clearly model needs a rethink.

"I don't know the answer but I'm really interested to ask the question," Xenos told ESPN when asked about a central contracting system.

"Back to that earlier notion that we need to do everything we can to create a world-best rugby experience, I think what we're seeing at the moment is that the Australian rugby contracting model is a little bit half-pregnant in terms of a soft salary cap at each of the five Super Rugby teams with then the Australian Rugby Union contributing what we call "top-up" money, its national contract money, on top of that Super Rugby spend in order to create the total player payment mix.

"I think it's relatively well known that the ARU does not apply that top-up money equally across the five teams; it applies that top-up money to those players that the ARU values for Wallabies potential. That then starts to have impacts on the competitiveness of each of the five Super Rugby teams."

The model used by New Zealand Rugby, in which the national body oversees all five of the country's Super Rugby franchises, has started to gain popular support in Australian this season following the financial problems of Western Force and the off-field dramas that threatened to derail the Brumbies' season -- specifically the now-resolved feud between former CEO Michael Jones and the club's board.

ARU chief executive Bill Pulver was involved in discussions at the Brumbies before a settlement package was reached via mediation -- and the ARU's Phil Thomson appointed on an interim role -- while the Force and the ARU have forged an "alliance" that will see all the Perth-based franchise's players and staff become ARU employees in what is essentially a takeover.

And despite offloading Melbourne Rebels from their books late last year, the ARU will still hand over a reported $Aus6 million over the next five years to club owner Andrew Cox in the hope that the franchise will be self-sustainable by 2020.

NSW Waratahs and Queensland Reds have also had to lean on the ARU over the years.

Having all the franchises under the one ARU umbrella may well achieve a fairer distribution of talent across the five franchises, and ensure improved financial stability, but Xenos raised concerns over the effect that could have on the Wallabies -- the key revenue drivers for the game in Australia.

"As a starting point, I think, as a game, we need to ask what are we trying to achieve through our contracting model; and if it is to have five competitive and commercially viable Super Rugby teams as the No. 1 priority then I think we need to address the way the current contracting model operates," Xenos told ESPN.

"I think the answer is we would like to have competitiveness at Super Rugby level, but we also need the Wallabies to be competitive because through inbound Tests, end-of-year tours, broadcast rights, the Wallabies are a significant economic engine for the game.

"So it can't be just allowing all the contracting to happen at a Super Rugby level with no national coordination because I understand that may lead to outcomes that don't create a competitive Wallabies side.

"At the same time, you look at the results, particularly this year, and you'd say the current process does need to be amended otherwise we're just going to continue to develop suboptimal outcomes for the future."

If the ARU were to assume a central contracting set-up, a player draft could also be a possibility to help divide the talent across the five franchises.

But unlike the AFL, Australia's five Super Rugby franchise would likely not see the immediate benefits of their Australian rules counterparts due to the greater physical development required in the 15-man game.

"I've gone on the record in the past to say that if a draft was part of a comprehensive adjustment to the contracting model it's definitely something that we're prepared to look at," Xenos said.

"The challenges with a draft is that obviously there is going to be a significant lag time in terms of when young players, who are put into Super Rugby teams, become ready for Super Rugby and then are able to become elite Super Rugby players.

"So a draft assists with some of the sustainability of Super Rugby performance but it may not assist in the short term, which is where some of the financial challenges lie.

"Adopting a draft would also mean a pretty significant concession on the players' behalf to give away free-agency and all the rest as well; it also presents logistical challenges because we aren't a closed economy in the same way the AFL is and, to a lesser extent, the NRL is."

The National Rugby Championship, which has been reduced from nine to eight teams for its 2016 season, would seemingly be an ideal starting point from which a draft could potentially run. If all franchises and unions were in agreement, a draft could run at the completion of the tournament and afford each of the franchises the chance to select talent in order of their finish on the Australian Super Rugby conference ladder.

But the issues with rugby's global economy represent an ongoing stumbling block, and one arguably presenting a greater challenge and focal point for both the ARU and RUPA.

Already this season Wallabies Matt Toomua and Kurtley Beale have signed for Aviva Premiership clubs in England, and experienced Super Rugby players and fringe Test players Liam Gill, Luke Jones and Mike Harris have followed suit.

That follows the departure of several veteran Wallabies after the Rugby World Cup in 2015 -- some who remain available for the national side under the 'Giteau law' -- and those a little further down the list such as former Brumbies Nic White and Jesse Mogg who have gone on to experience European success with French club Montpellier.

Xenos said RUPA discussions had uncovered overseas moves for players just under the top tier were as much about lifestyle as they were money, but he pointed to the recently announced French and looming English broadcast deals as to why Australia had to continue to evolve its contracting process and the pursuit of the "best professional rugby experience".

"I think to call some of those players 'middle tier' players is probably being a bit hard on them ... and at the same time, the feedback that we get from players still says to us that regardless of the money and other factors, having the cultural experience and the lifestyle experience with a young family or a partner or whatever else is still a really massive driver for players to get over there.

"So you take those two challenges, the incomes and the experience, what that actually tells us is that playing rugby in Australia or for Australia has to be the best professional rugby experience in the world.

"And I think that means more than just what we're paying the guys; it means having the best programs on offer so that players want to be here because they're happier people and they're better players."

http://www.espn.com.au/rugby/story/_...xperience-rupa

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    "So it can't be just allowing all the contracting to happen at a Super Rugby level with no national coordination because I understand that may lead to outcomes that don't create a competitive Wallabies side."
    Contracting at Super Rugby level is what's going on now, so I'm not sure what the ARU & RUPA can come up with the weaken the Wallabies.

But the author seems to think it's a given that spreading talent across all the Super Rugby franchises will weaken the Wallabies. I'm sorry, but I can't see the justification for that, other than a "What's good for Sydney is good for the Wallabies" stand-point.

If the Super Rugby franchises have an equal level of talent, then everyone improves, everyone gets the chance to stand up and impose themselves on a match, and that's when you see who the leaders are.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Sheikh; 08-06-16 at 14:47.
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    "Back to that earlier notion that we need to do everything we can to create a world-best rugby experience, I think what we're seeing at the moment is that the Australian rugby contracting model is a little bit half-pregnant in terms of a soft salary cap at each of the five Super Rugby teams with then the Australian Rugby Union contributing what we call "top-up" money, its national contract money, on top of that Super Rugby spend in order to create the total player payment mix.

"I think it's relatively well known that the ARU does not apply that top-up money equally across the five teams; it applies that top-up money to those players that the ARU values for Wallabies potential. That then starts to have impacts on the competitiveness of each of the five Super Rugby teams."
    At least we know the problem's being acknowledged (which is a pleasant surprise to me) - what comes of it on the other hand...

vCash
    "As a starting point, I think, as a game, we need to ask what are we trying to achieve through our contracting model; and if it is to have five competitive and commercially viable Super Rugby teams as the No. 1 priority then I think we need to address the way the current contracting model operates,"

Nice to know that the inequality is a known issue and seems like they want to do something about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Contracting at Super Rugby level is what's going on now, so I'm not sure what the ARU & RUPA can come up with the weaken the Wallabies.

But the author seems to think it's a given that spreading talent across all the Super Rugby franchises will weaken the Wallabies. I'm sorry, but I can't see the justification for that, other than a "What's good for Sydney is good for the Wallabies" stand-point.

If the Super Rugby franchises have an equal level of talent, then everyone improves, everyone gets the chance to stand up and impose themselves on a match, and that's when you see who the leaders are.
    I don't think that's what he's saying. What I think he means is they can't leave the contracting completely up to the super rugby teams as the ARU have a vested interest in what players are available to play for the wannabes

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    This is something I've often wondered about not only with guys like Hodgson especially, but with other Force players over the years too, had they been in a better overall team, would we have seen more guys on the Wallaby radar? How would a good Force have been for the prospects of those guys?

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    This is something I've often wondered about not only with guys like Hodgson especially, but with other Force players over the years too, had they been in a better overall team, would we have seen more guys on the Wallaby radar? How would a good Force have been for the prospects of those guys?
    I think this is a really interesting question that you have raised Chibi.

in my opinion I think it could be seen 2 ways. Some of the Force Wallabies over the years were established Wallabies prior to coming to the Force, Sharpe, Gitteau, Drew Mitchell, Scott Staniforth etc.

But for Pocock, O'Connor, Hodgson, McCalmain, Charles the Western Force have given them the opportunity to be seen by the Wallabies selectors in the first place. Where if they had of stayed put, some may have been selected for game time for the Tahs, Reds, Brumbies but others may have just been another player in Brisbane Premier Grade or Shute shield.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I can't think of too many players that deserved a Wallabies gig but didn't get one. The only player who springs to mind is Longbottom and I figure he would have got one if he had chosen to stay. Could be that a couple of players might have got a few more caps, but some didn't impress enough in gold to warrant it.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I can't think of too many players that deserved a Wallabies gig but didn't get one. The only player who springs to mind is Longbottom and I figure he would have got one if he had chosen to stay. Could be that a couple of players might have got a few more caps, but some didn't impress enough in gold to warrant it.
    The point that interests me in any improved contracting system and, by extension, hopefully some improvement in performance, is our ability to develop more WA Wallabies in future. Winning in any sport is all about confidence - no matter how well you prepare. Godwin, Louwrens & Co won't get that confidence to show what they can do without it. And they sure won't get it by being beaten every week. I reckon K Bomb would probably have been a Wallaby a couple of years before he left, had our scrum been on the front foot more often back then. DHP is an exception - and exceptional. But even he had to have a stint in the NH to develop.

All the new Wallabies who have come through the Force so far were recruited from elsewhere. This has been my biggest bug bear with the set up from day 1 and I really hope the ARU have realised what they have to lose in player depth should they f@ck things up rather than fix them.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    With the ARU coming on board, one thing I dont see is the ARU placing the next Rugby Wunderkind here with the Force.

The next Israel Folau wont be playing Super Rugby for the Western Force. Sure there might be a lot of speculation that he is thinking about playing for us (The ARU influence at work) but at the end of the day, call me cynical, I don't think the Western Force will ever see the number one draft picks in our ranks - he will still end up signing for either the Tahs or the Reds.

Exile
    Sydney

vCash
    If a genuine draft is implemented that's exactly what will happen ex, pick 1 goes to the weakest team.

That's why I think a draft will fail

C'mon the

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    If a genuine draft is implemented that's exactly what will happen ex, pick 1 goes to the weakest team.

Do you honestly think that the Tahs and Reds will want a draft?

Exile
    Sydney

vCash
    If the ARU seriously wanted a draft they would have to take over all direct funding of grassroots nationwide.

Why would NSW or QLD want to spend money on grassroots if they are potentially going to not reap the rewards of the talent they have developed?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    Do you honestly think that the Tahs and Reds will want a draft?
    That's why I think a draft will fail. They'll probably dress it up by getting rupa to thrash about with how it's an unfair restriction on trade and 17 year olds can't be asked to move interstate. But the tahs will kill it

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post

just above a whisper..... this is what the Pulvermaester is working on at the moment:
    He knows the AFL draft has it's shortcomings, as does the League system, he's slaving away constructing his third way.
    When the next electrical storm takes place and he throws the switch, and screams "IT"S ALIVE", you may be surprised.
    Not perfect, but better. Remembering, if Billy Boy wanted the Force dead, all he had to do was wait, there was most probably a season left in it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast