Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Haylett petty, Morahan, Mcalman make cut

vCash

Haylett petty, Morahan, Mcalman make cut

Great news Dane, Luke and Ben make the cut in wallaby squad trimming.

Adam out but at least now on the radar

Final 33

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Cheika unveils Wallabies first Test squad

By Vince Rugari
    AAP
    June 3, 2016, 3:31 pm

Eddie Jones accused Michael Cheika of being all "smoke and mirrors" this week - and he might have been onto something.

The Wallabies' coach has kept his England counterpart and everyone else guessing by naming a 33-man squad for the series-opening Test at Suncorp Stadium on June 11, one that does little to answer the big questions surrounding the make-up of the team.

Cheika was supposed to trim three more names from the contingent, who trained on the Sunshine Coast this week to make it a 30-man group - and the six he did cut, after blocking media from attending their final session on Friday, would have been lucky to play anyway.

Hooker James Hanson, lock Adam Coleman, flanker Liam Gill, rookie halfback Joe Powell and former Bath star Leroy Houston were logical omissions who were edged out by hot competition in their positions, while Mike Harris (hamstring) is injured.

Seven players remain in contention to make their international debuts, including Karmichael Hunt, Samu Kerevi, Dane Haylett-Petty and Reece Hodge.

Cheika said he was trying to keep an "open mind" about selection with some huge decisions looming, particularly around what centre combination the Wallabies would use.

Seven-game Melbourne Rebels utility Hodge - not even included in the original squad - is a shock candidate for the No.12 jersey after seizing his opportunity as a late replacement for Harris.

"Reece has really impressed me this week after being thrown into the deep end. It's not just about being in the environment for him now and I know he'll be pushing for selection in the match-day 23," Cheika said.

The coach gave a strong hint Tevita Kuridrani would stay put at No.13, despite Israel Folau's seamless shift there for the NSW Waratahs.

"He's played in every game I've been involved with here and that's one of his massive strengths - defence," Cheika said.

Christian Lealiifano has also been named, and Cheika says Camp Wallaby is "blowing the snake charmer's whistle" in the hope his pregnant partner gives birth over the weekend so he can join the team, having missed the entire Sunshine Coast camp.

Hunt, too, is in the mix after overcoming a persistent groin strain.

While Cheika indicated last year's Fardy-Pocock-Hooper starting back-row was all but locked in, he said he was losing sleep over the surplus of riches he had in that area.

Gill remains a hard-luck story despite two years of quality form, but a bench spot could beckon for Sean McMahon, while Houston's series might not yet be done either.

"Some of what we've seen from some of the guys who have rotated in there like Sean McMahon, Liam Gill, Leroy Houston, Wycliff Palu has been excellent," Cheika said.

"Obviously, we can play the back row in certain ways, either with the two opensides or in the more-traditional sense and I think we'll use both of those options throughout the series."

Wallabies: Alan Alaalatoa, Rory Arnold, Sam Carter, Scott Fardy (all Brumbies), Israel Folau (NSW Waratahs), Bernard Foley (Waratahs), Nick Frisby (Queensland Reds), Dane Haylett-Petty (Western Force), Reece Hodge (Melbourne Rebels), Greg Holmes (Reds), Michael Hooper (Waratahs), Rob Horne (Waratahs), James Horwill (Harlequins), Karmichael Hunt (Reds), Sekope Kepu (Waratahs), Samu Kerevi (Reds), Tevita Kuridrani (Brumbies), Christian Lealiifano (Brumbies), Ben McCalman (Force), Sean McMahon (Rebels), Stephen Moore (Brumbies), Luke Morahan (Force), Dean Mumm (Waratahs), Taqele Naiyaravoro, Wycliff Palu, Nick Phipps (all Waratahs), David Pocock (Brumbies), Tatafu Polota-Nau (Waratahs), Rob Simmons (Reds), Scott Sio (Brumbies), Will Skelton (Waratahs), James Slipper (Reds), Toby Smith (Rebels).

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...ichael-cheika/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Player
    vCash
    Would have liked to have seen a Coleman/Arnold locking pair.
    Can't see what Skelton has done to made the cut.

Simmons/Arnold/Coleman with Fardy at 6 would be my talls

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Or Palu...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post

Hooker James Hanson, lock Adam Coleman, flanker Liam Gill, rookie halfback Joe Powell...... were logical omissions[/url]
    Utter BS. Coleman's really come on leaps and bounds recently and is in great form - even showing a bit of mongrel! Certainly not a logical omission IMO - maybe lacking experience, that's all. At least he's on the radar as you say Tazz.

vCash
    I remember reading articles last year saying that Coleman would be a smokey for the World Cup squad so he was already on the radar.

vCash
    Skelton over Coleman? What a crock!! And don't even get me started on Palu.......

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    I repeat - Adam being left out is just plain dumb! Compared to any other guys he has shown more consistency and improvement in the last 2 seasons than ANY of them, utter Bullshit! Skelton WTF!? Does 5 metres of elephant running per game really justify inlclusion?

vCash
    But Skelton and pale are large, surely that means they're good.

Look at Adam Coleman, in comparison he looks skinny

C'mon the

vCash
    That was in sarcasm font right Gigs?!! Skelton is a big lump of lumbering lard! Palu even more so!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Player
    vCash
    Might be that Adam is not at 100% fitness, but continues to soldier like a beast.
    When the time comes for Hodgo to lead humanity in interstellar pursuit, wars against aliens or a zombie apocalypse (you know Hodgo is the man) - I wouldn't be upset if Coleman is named Captain of the Force.

And while here, give hearty handshakes and back slaps to DHP, Morahan and Big Dog.

Would really like to see Cottrell spend some time raging with Fardy.
    There is so much potential in the Force squad, a bit of luck with injuries and half a dozen of the players could have been at the Wallabies camp.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Surely Skelton and Palu were included because they are Tahs? remember if the Tahs fail, Australian Rugby fails! [/internet bullshit]

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    I've not watched the Tahs much this season. But I saw them belt the Chiefs. Skelton had a blinder.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    That was in sarcasm font right Gigs?!! Skelton is a big lump of lumbering lard! Palu even more so!
    Yes sorry for forgetting the sarcasm emoticon. Skelton wasn't much better against the chiefs than normal. Folau finally fulfilling his potential in 13 was the story of the night.

C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I've not watched the Tahs much this season. But I saw them belt the Chiefs. Skelton had a blinder.
    Shasta if you get a chance to watch the game again one of the only forwards to miss several tackles for the tahs was Skelton! Lazy and useless if you ask me. I think Adam has been hard done by he's been one of the inform locks this season and in a losing side as well. The confidence he would've gained from Wallaby experience would've been massive. I too like his bit of mongrel something that is needed in a side every now and then.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast