Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jarryd Hayne makes shock retirement from NFL to chase Olympic sevens dream for Fiji

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    According to my sauces (the Mungos on 2SM) Fiji approached him. No money in the offer either apparently. After his success in the States his profile there won't do any harm to the 7's in Rio.
    There is some chatter in the East that he is actually bound for the Tahs next year. Not hard to see that when you think about it.
    As he is a cross-coder that probably means ARU will cover part of his large salary and only part of it go's under the salary cap of the Tahs?

Has he played rugby union as a junior?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeansyjive View Post
    As he is a cross-coder that probably means ARU will cover part of his large salary and only part of it go's under the salary cap of the Tahs?

Has he played rugby union as a junior?
    Going by Israel Folau's example, potentially $250,000 per year of his contract wouldn't count under the salary cap.

He says he's played rugby but that could mean anything - nothing of note anyway (and he hasn't played sevens).

vCash
    If he plays 7's for Fiji then he would be considered a foreign import so no ARU top up for him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MI5_Dog View Post
    If he plays 7's for Fiji then he would be considered a foreign import so no ARU top up for him.
    Good point, although I don't think he'll make the team anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    my sauces tell me Cronulla are all over him,like a rash
    I have no sauces but if we all chip in for a pint of guinness can we get him to the Forceor would that be a third party deal?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Bloody Mungos!!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MI5_Dog View Post
    Wouldn't matter, because he'd have to be a Marquee for that to happen and it would have the same impact on the salary cap.

I think Marquees only add $150 odd thousand to the Salary cap regardless of their actual wage.

C'mon the

vCash
    The Tahs already have 2 internationally capped marquee players, although seeing as they are James Hilterbrand (4th string hooker) and Zac Guildford (only seems to have played half the games this year) I'm not sure if either will be sticking around for next year.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    (FX Shasta puts on a tin foil hat)

The chatter in the East about Hayne and the Tahs is probably just an ARU/media beat-up to distract everyone from how much they are chucking at Marika Koirebete to get him to the Rabble.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Once again I find myself feeling aggrieved that heaven and earth is moved and rules are bent to breaking point simply to accommodate someone with a 'name'. What about the poor guy who's slogged away and now faces losing his place to a blow in?!!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Once again I find myself feeling aggrieved that heaven and earth is moved and rules are bent to breaking point simply to accommodate someone with a 'name'. What about the poor guy who's slogged away and now faces losing his place to a blow in?!!
    I don't disagree with you but it happens in every level of sport from Professional Sport to Grass Roots level.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    If you're talking about the Tahs I assume that person would be Kurtley Beale. And, whether you agree with them or not, the rules are clearly there to allow it so there's no breaking point (unlike a certain Mr Folau I might ad).

If you're talking about the sevens there always seems to be this perception that some long-serving loyal member of the team loses their place when a sevens team brings in a star player. Fact of the matter is outside of the core members of the team, players are constantly being cycled in and out of squads throughout the season and aren't necessarily full-time with the team. When players get replaced nearly every tournament no one notices but when it's a star player everyone loses their sh*t (not singling you out, I read Petero Civoniceva doing the same thing in the media). If anyone loses a spot (and I doubt Hayne will displace anyone) it will likely be one of those fringe players. It's probably an inevitable side effect of the extra attention on sevens this year and people who know nothing about it suddenly filling up column inches - let me put it this way, no one complained about Jesse Parahi displacing anyone in the Australian squad last weekend despite not playing a game all year.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Is Parahi a good example? That was more the prodigal son returning home.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maelkann View Post
    Is Parahi a good example? That was more the prodigal son returning home.
    Same logic.

vCash
    Yes, I was talking about Hayne. I didn't know about Jesse or I would have complained about that too.

I guess for me it's the general principle of men slogging their guts out to have their shot at glory only for a more high profile person (who may not even be a better player than them at that precise point in time) being able to push them aside at the stroke of a pen.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast