Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Word on the street with Westie Man

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Wouldn't it depend on who he was coached by......for instance, if he was coached by Tom Fearn he should be available for anything from Under 20's to a Super Rugby start shouldn't he

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Apprentice
    vCash
    Have a look at the Palmyra under 20's. They would give any third grade a run for their money. Some of these under 20's teams clearly have boys who should not be playing up. Rugby WA should really be the people who give dispensations for boys to play up. It's pretty simple really, most boys should play in their own age unless there are extenuating circumstances.

vCash
    Don't know the ins and outs of this story, but a 15 y.o. playing under 20s would be remarkable.

I was at Farnham when Johnny Wilkinson was coming through, and he only played 2 years ahead of his age (and he wasn't a small kid). He may have played 3 years ahead, but would only even have been a sub. 5 years ahead would need a remarkable growth spurt, or a fantastic ability to lie about your age (see this: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windso...mano-1.3552121).

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Don't know the ins and outs of this story, but a 15 y.o. playing under 20s would be remarkable.

I was at Farnham when Johnny Wilkinson was coming through, and he only played 2 years ahead of his age (and he wasn't a small kid). He may have played 3 years ahead, but would only even have been a sub. 5 years ahead would need a remarkable growth spurt, or a fantastic ability to lie about your age (see this: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windso...mano-1.3552121).
    The boy is 6'5 6'6 over 100kg

Champion
    vCash
    How did I just know he's on Neddies radar anyway as I said previously he is a big lad but he is only 15 with obviously a 15 year old mentality.We will just have to wait and see I suppose.Also heard today that a few kids that also got dispensation have decided to head back to 17's.The jump was a bit more than what they anticipated.

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Wouldn't it depend on who he was coached by......for instance, if he was coached by Tom Fearn he should be available for anything from Under 20's to a Super Rugby start shouldn't he
    I agree, he would be coached how to WIN!

Apprentice
    vCash
    Can anybody tell me what I was told on the weekend that there are 6 or 7 under 20's UWA players that get paid $1500 per season. Is this fact or fiction?

vCash
    Rugby Boys and teenagers playing outside of their correct age division is one of the biggest headaches for Junior Rugby Clubs when it comes to team scheduling and long term team planning. This should only be permitted under exceptional circumstances with RugbyWa having to grant the dispensation. This would take the sometimes emotive decision away from the parents and small minority of coaches that are not focused on the boys best interest but some other self interested.
    I get that boys want to play with their mates - this can be maybe a year age difference,. This probably should be accommodated by the clubs themselves but anytime there's more than a year it should fall to RugbyWa.

I'm involved in both Rugby Juniors and AFL Juniors and I can tell you that the "playing up" issue is greater the smaller the player base you have to work with. Coaches and Parents in Rugby have been known to dictate to the clubs to get their way. This creates lots of problems that are sometimes not exposed until the boys get older and clubs can't field a team in U14, 15, 17. (Apart from the obvious physical, mental and social issues) . Ie if a Junior Rugby Club can't field at least 2 x U10s teams (12 aside) they will be struggling to field an U15s team in 5 years time with a minimum of 18 boys needed.

Bottom line here is that we need more Kid's playing Rugby! The AFL unfortunately runs rings around Rugby here in WA Juniors in and hitting the schools etc, it's a battle to keep our current Juniors numbers let alone expand the base. I certainly don't have the answers here, but I do know that a successful Western Force franchise would be where I would start.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Yep, as always the under 20s is THE grade to watch.
    Speaking of Pally, Wests Scarborough 3 def by 33 is still listed as a disputed result - is this anything to do with dispensations, or are some people still having problems LOSING.
    Follow that up with Cott forfeiting 0-0 to Soaks (no protest on that score)????

This week, the no score Mandurah v Kala match (internet down again)
    Cott have forfeited another one - are we still in the three forfeits and your out? - surely not
    Neddies v Paly - score status Unofficial - there's a pattern here
    Rocky 7 v Bros 10 - score status unofficial - ref no pay no play with phone

This week Kala v Wests live from the Bermuda Triangle
    Rocky v Neds - Give the ref a heads up today
    Otherwise do yourselves a favour and get down to Pat O'hara

vCash
    How's this kid going anyway?

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Forceable View Post
    Can anybody tell me what I was told on the weekend that there are 6 or 7 under 20's UWA players that get paid $1500 per season. Is this fact or fiction?
    That's correct. They pay more than we do. Usually in the form of bursaries and book allowances as I understand.

I am really a Palmyra troll.

Champion
    vCash
    Well after the all the furore surrounding kids playing this grade or that grade,has he or has he not recieved dispensation,who can dispensate and who can't I have come up with a solution.
    All the way up to 14's then 16's with no dispensation of any description whatsoever.After that all players are pooled into a u/20's grade.Call one division premier or senior colts or something similar and another division called developing or junior colt's or something similar.
    Your prem colts are the best 20 odd players in your club playing the best 20 odd players aged 20 or below from another club.
    The more advanced players have a more competitive match each week.
    Your junior colts play against guy's that aren't quite there yet eg late developers,only age 16 or 17 or players who may just want to fill your lower grades in senior ranks later on without getting smashed by the better players at this level.
    A grade for everyone of all abilities,this could work.

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Player
    vCash
    Im led to believe that the u20s are being split into 2 grades as we speak

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by G_Beard View Post
    Im led to believe that the u20s are being split into 2 grades as we speak
    tell us more! I see teams forfeiting now. How do you think they could do it?

I'm pretending not to be affiliated to any club so shhhh

Player
    vCash
    From what I understand its a case of splitting the table in the in the middle, so the top half teams play top half teams and the same for the 2nd half.

Not sure where I heard or read that, but makes sense and good stuff.
    Much like a gold and swan split in the teenage levels

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast