Page 36 of 42 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Player Contracts

Champion
    vCash
    Is there something in the water out there. There are no "new" signings The squad is full and they have all been announced. I reckon this will be someone like T P-N or Daley doing there first Force media show.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    I think if there are any new signings surely it would be someone upgraded from the wider training group e.g like con foley but as whole truth said surely the squad is now full, in fact the force confirmed the full squad last year already.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    What time is the announcement? And you are talking Berrick Barnes yes?
    Yeah I am.
    Heard all the arguments about him being one concussion away from permernant damage as well.
    But so is TPN

vCash
    Berrick "I get knocked out if the sunlight hits me too hard" Barnes? Surely not! (and don't call me Shirley)

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    DHP extending ARU contract till after 2019 RWC.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    The West reporting today that Alex Newsome, has been signed to the wider training group for 2017.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    The West reporting today that Alex Newsome, has been signed to the wider training group for 2017.
    Old news Taz, he has been on the front page lost since late last year

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Force Sign Young NSW Country Eagles Star Alex Newsome

By Fraser Smith
    19th January 17 in NRC

The Western Force have added to their backline depth with the signing of NSW Country Eagles outside back Alex Newsome to the club’s wider training squad.

The 21-year-old originally joined the Western Force on trial at the start of pre-season following an outstanding Buildcorp National Rugby Championship (NRC) campaign with the Eagles and has been rewarded with a contract.

The announcement continues the former Australian Under 20s representative’s rapid rise – after being selected in NSW Country’s wider training squad following a stellar season with Eastern Suburbs in Sydney’s Shute Shield competition in 2016.

Newsome says earning a contract was his goal when he made the trip West for his pre-season trial.

“I’m pretty stoked right now,” he said. “Coming out of club rugby and the NRC last year I suppose it was always a goal to pick something up. To get the trial opportunity in the first place was great and to come through and get signed at the end is awesome.”

“The training has definitely been a step up in terms of intensity from what I have been used to. Coming through the Australian Under 20’s and the NRC I’ve had exposure to those professional environments but I’ve never done a full pre-season with a Super Rugby team.

“It’s been awesome for my game to learn about the intensity needed to make it at Super Rugby level and what to do in order to get to that point.”

“There are so many quality players in the squad and to see the way the Wallabies guys like Dane (Haylett-Petty) and ‘Moz’ (Luke Morahan) go about their work shows you just how high the standards are.”

The talented youngster scored three spectacular intercept tries playing on the wing in the 2016 Buildcorp NRC and also has the ability to also play at centre and fullback.

“I’ve played most of my footy at 13 but playing on the wing in the NRC has given me a bit of versatility to hopefully contribute to the group.”

Born and raised in Glen Innes in northern New South Wales the humble youngster says he is excited to begin his next chapter in Perth and has set his sights on a Super Rugby debut.

“To get signed was my first goal and now my focus shifts to Round One against the Waratahs and making it into that 23. For me right now I’m just going to push hard at training and try to get as much game time as I can this season.”

Western Force Attack Coach Shaun Berne says Newsome is a fantastic addition to the Force’s backline.

“Alex deserves his spot in the squad with the way he has performed all pre-season, he’s been very impressive and all the coaches are excited to see him play.”

“He’s has got really good feet. His game awareness is strong and from what we have seen so far he is a very intelligent guy and an intelligent rugby player.”

Name: Alex Newsome
    Date of Birth: 20/01/1995
    Place of Birth: Glen Innes, NSW
    Position: Outside Back
    Height: 189cm
    Weight: 93kg
    Representative Rugby: NSW U20 (2015), Australian U20 (2015), NSW Country Eagles (2016)

https://www.westernforce.com.au/arti...r-alex-newsome

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    RISING star Alex Newsome has received an early birthday present, clinching a deal with the Western Force.
    The outside back, 22 tomorrow, has been added to the Super Rugby club’s wider training squad.

Perth Now

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Does anybody know the status of Ammon Matuauto? Or Matt Phillip?

With the signing of Newsome I assume that means that Con Foley, Sam Figg and Will Magie are no longer on the scene (?)

Am I the only one concerned that 26+ players in our squad are only signed for 2017.
    As I understand it, that means that any one of them are open to approaches to play elsewhere.
    And currently the WF has very little $$s or wherewithal to counter offer.

vCash
    Yeah I was wondering about Sam Figg the other day, he's the one that looked the goods in nrc.

As for the 2017 contract thing, you can understand a manager pushing for that, remembering what the press was like in the key negotiation period. I think the outlook has improved markedly since October and all that remains is to run out a couple of upset wins to start putting bums back on seats. If that all goes to plan and we survive the cull, I think we'll see some long term contracts start to emerge.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Yeah I was wondering about Sam Figg the other day, he's the one that looked the goods in nrc.
    With our strong back row stocks and limited places it was unlikley he would be kept on, as building depth in other positions would be more of a priority.

vCash
    My understanding of the WTG below is that they train with the squad but are not available for match play unless they are an injury replacement for somebody from the squad, and that squad could be any of the Australian Franchises, much the same as we got Heath a few years back. Can anyone confirm this is the case?

Wider Training Group
    Con Foley (Sydney Rays)
    Sam Figg (NSW Country Eagles)
    Alex Newsome (NSW Country Eagles)
    Will Magie (USA)

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    Does anybody know the status of Ammon Matuauto? Or Matt Phillip?
    I dont think Ammon Matuato's contract got renewed. Matt Philip was signed on a 1 year contract for 2017 (https://www.westernforce.com.au/arti...ll-timber-2017).

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    My understanding of the WTG below is that they train with the squad but are not available for match play unless they are an injury replacement for somebody from the squad, and that squad could be any of the Australian Franchises, much the same as we got Heath a few years back. Can anyone confirm this is the case?

Wider Training Group
    Con Foley (Sydney Rays)
    Sam Figg (NSW Country Eagles)
    Alex Newsome (NSW Country Eagles)
    Will Magie (USA)
    I believe that all these guys came for a preseason trial but only one was going to get a contract, in this case Alex got the contract. Alex is eligible to play as yesterday he said his goal was to get into the match day 23 against the tahs round 1. At the open training session the other day I did see Alex newsome but not Con foley, Sam figg ect...

Page 36 of 42 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast