Page 28 of 42 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 38 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Player Contracts

vCash
    Disappointed for Cottrell as he was just starting to find his feet again last season, again cruelled by injury. Figg will be an able replacement but I hope to see Angus back in 2018 as he has plenty of potential and has been an outstanding Force man both on and off the field

Coleman is the versatility and spark from the bench that we have missed in the past few seasons to finish a game and I think this is an astute signing.

The remaining back spot will likely go to Con Foley which will be a good one if all turns out well in pre-season and our "friends" on the eastern seaboard do not try and grab him first.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Apprentice
    vCash
    Not a coleman fan but time will tell

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Force Sign PG Hampshire Winner Michael Ruru

The Western Force have added another Perth-based product to their senior list, with Nedlands scrumhalf Michael Ruru signing with the club for the 2017 Super Rugby season.

The electric half back had a standout year taking out the PG Hampshire award in the Pindan Premier Grade, winning tournament MVP at the World Club 10s in Mauritius and played a third consecutive year in the Buildcorp National Rugby Championship (NRC) for the Perth Spirit.

The 25-year-old says the opportunity to play for the Force is a dream come true.

“I’m absolutely stoked, it’s always been a dream of mine to play Super Rugby,” he said. “The Force has given me the opportunity and I’m taking it with open arms.”

When reflecting on his year so far, Ruru says he has been taking it day by day and putting his best foot forward in whatever opportunities come his way.

“I’ve just really enjoyed my rugby this season, whether it was with Nedlands, or over in Mauritius with the 10s and then with Perth Spirit.”

In what will be a competitive year in the number nine jersey with the likes of Ian Prior and Ryan Louwrens in the squad, Ruru says it’s something he’s relishing heading into pre-season.

“Competition is great; I think that’s what makes it all the more exciting. Having that challenge and someone who’s going to push you is what it’s all about.

“Louwrens, Prior and myself offer different styles of play, which is great but at the end of the day we’re striving for the same goal; to promote rugby in WA and to have a great season with the Western Force.”

Head Coach of the Western Force Dave Wessels says that Ruru has impressed throughout the year and is excited to see him develop further in a professional program.

“Michael has been a stalwart of local Perth rugby for some time, the most impressive thing about Mike is that he’s aggressive, competitive and he really wants this opportunity.

“Those three qualities combined make him a pretty good get for us.”

“We’ve got a really nice race shaping up at scrumhalf, with Ryan Louwrens playing very well and Ian Prior with all of his experience and then we have Michael Ruru who is just extremely hungry.

“So there’s going to be some competition for us at nine next year, which is going to be beneficial for all three of those players.”

Name: Michael Ruru
    Date of Birth: 3/12/1990
    Place of Birth: Napier, New Zealand
    Position: Scrumhalf
    Height: 182cm
    Weight: 93kg
    Super Rugby caps: 0
    Super Rugby debut: N/A

https://www.westernforce.com.au/forc...r-michael-ruru

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I would suggest this means Ian Prior is placed squarely in the backup 10 and part time 9 role. Peter Grant has proven to be a lemon and Burto seems like more of a 12 to me (apart from having glass ankles)

I'd play Louwrens and Ruru as the Scrumhalf options until it becomes obvious that Prior isn't needed to cover 10 or those 2 aren't coping with the pace

C'mon the

vCash
    For once it actually looks like we have depth in out squad. Especially in the back row and now in the backs.
    Strike me if it doesn't look like we might make a decent go of it next year.

Damn you Western Force and your ability to make me optimistic for the new season.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I would suggest this means Ian Prior is placed squarely in the backup 10 and part time 9 role. Peter Grant has proven to be a lemon and Burto seems like more of a 12 to me (apart from having glass ankles)

I'd play Louwrens and Ruru as the Scrumhalf options until it becomes obvious that Prior isn't needed to cover 10 or those 2 aren't coping with the pace
    Not sure about that I think Prior is still a class above Ruru. Plus having Prior on the bench means you don't need a backup ten either so no need for Grant. A bench of prior, Coleman, brache gives you a lot of options and can have a 5/3 split

Senior Player
    vCash
    Without Cottrell what is our best backrow combo?
    Stander/hodgson/mccalman
    RHP/hodgson/mccalman
    Hodgson/hardwick/mccalman
    Figg/hodgson/mccalman
    Mccalman/hodgson/naisarani

Lots of options

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha Handy View Post
    Without Cottrell what is our best backrow combo?
    Stander/hodgson/mccalman
    RHP/hodgson/mccalman
    Hodgson/hardwick/mccalman
    Figg/hodgson/mccalman
    Mccalman/hodgson/naisarani

Lots of options
    I think, play different combinations against different opponents, not just on form and injury. Against some opponents we might need lots of line-out options, so you can play RHP, May and McCalman. Some games might need breakdown ability, so, eg, Hodgson, Hardwick and Stander. If we need more ball-carrying ability it might be Figg, Koteka and Naisarani.
    So may options!

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    I'd go with number 1 Buddha, but I still see rhp as a smallish lock, rather than a flanker.

Based upon nrc form it's hard not to press for hardback, but there is some serious quality in front of him.

I think the back row is our best strength and, assuming that matwijow gets a start at lock, i think we'll see a fair bit of rotation, particularly at 6 & 7. Some horses for courses (rhp at 6 against strong line outs, hardback getting a start where the coaches think they can get away with the risk)

It is, however, a good problem to have

C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    No need for Jono Lance, Prior and Coleman show more flair. Ruru and the ex Saffa schoolboy as halves.

vCash
    Arnold & Philip signed for 2017

That makes 31 signed

Last edited by The InnFORCEr; 02-11-16 at 10:11.

vCash
    Force Sign Tall Timber for 2017

The Western Force have added depth to their second row stocks with the signing of Matt Philip and Richie Arnold for the 2017 Super Rugby season.

The two men have taken very different paths to this point but say they are excited by the opportunity and what lies ahead in 2017.

Philip, a former Australian Schoolboys and Australian Under 20s representative was called into the Force squad in a training capacity last season after injuries hit the club’s second row stocks before making his debut off the bench against the Cheetahs in Bloemfontein.

After earning three caps in a whirlwind debut Super Rugby season Philip says he is thrilled to have signed with the Force after getting an opportunity last season.

“I’m really excited to come in and rip in,” he said. “Obviously there is a whole new environment at the Force now and I feel like there could be something special building at the club.”

“When I came over last season I had getting a contract for 2017 in mind every training session and every game. I felt like this was the place I wanted to be in the future so I’m stoked to be given the chance to come back.”

The 22-year-old heads West for pre-season after plying his trade in New Zealand’s Mitre10 Cup for Southland and says it has helped his game immensely.

“From playing over there you can tell why the All Blacks are so good. The skill level is so high, I think I learnt a lot and hopefully I can bring something back and contribute to the group.”

In contrast to Philip, Arnold has been with the Western Force for almost a year now after joining the club last November and after suffering multiple injuries set-backs along the way the 208-cm giant is ready to get on the park in 2017.

The identical twin of Brumbies and Wallabies lock, Rory Arnold, Richie says he is excited to begin playing rugby again after plenty of painstaking rehabilitation and will be using the pre-season to begin mounting his case for a debut.

“I’m super happy to have resigned with the Western Force,” he said. “This year I've had a pretty bad season with injury which was tough but that’s rugby.”

“At the moment the body feels really good, it's been a little over three months since the shoulder reconstruction so come pre-season I'll be able to do most of the running and work myself into the contact training.”

“Being on the sidelines and doing rehabilitation work for the whole of last season was hard because you want to be out there playing but it has definitely increased my drive for the 2017 season and hopefully I can make my debut.”

Western Force Head Coach Dave Wessels says the signing of the second row pair is a strong move for the club as they continue to add depth to the forward pack for the 2017 season.

“It’s great to have Richie on board. He has taken a little while to get his body right but there is a great Afrikaans saying which is ‘vroeg ryp vroeg vrot’ which is means ‘if you ripen early, then you rot early’, so we think Richie will be great for us.”

“I’m really excited to see how Richie goes this year because he has had to work so hard for it. He has all the attributes to be a world class player, he’s a very big man, he’s aggressive and most importantly he really wants this opportunity, so we are looking forward to getting a full season out of him.”

“Matty is an example of someone who got half a sniff and really made the most of it. When he came in last year he really showed a desire to learn and his ability to understand information tells me that he can certainly play elite level rugby.”

“Matt has been very dedicated to getting his body to the point where he can physically hold his own at Super Rugby and we are looking to get a full preseason out of him to develop that even further.”

“The spots in that second row have become really competitive for us with Richie, Matt, Ben Matwijow, Ross Haylett-Petty and Adam Coleman all fighting it out.

The 2017 Western Force squad will begin their pre-season on Monday, 7 November.

2017 Memberships on sale now. http://bit.ly/2017Memberships

Name: Richie Arnold
    Born: 11/06/1990, Wagga Wagga
    Position: Lock
    Height: 208cm
    Weight: 127kg
    Representative Rugby: 2015 Queensland Country

Name: Matt Philip
    Born: 07/03/1994, Mona Vale, Australia
    Position: Lock
    Height: 199cm
    Weight: 106kg
    Representative Rugby: Australian Schoolboys, Australian U20

https://www.westernforce.com.au/forc...ll-timber-2017

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Just need Scoble and Tessman (or other hookers) confirmed and we have a decent young squad with a lot of upside.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Two signings that were expected, but good to have them finalised.

A lot of rehab work has gone into Ritchie by the medical staff so it will be good to see them reap the rewards.

On the whole the squad definitely looks to better balanced and a bit more depth than last year.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Saw a fair bit of Philip and Matijow in the M 10 cup. Both went pretty good. The standout rookie lock was Shannon Frizzel. Unlike his brother, he grew up in Tonga - and the Kiwis grabbed him first - dunno if he's got a Super contract yet.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 28 of 42 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 38 ... LastLast