Page 27 of 42 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 37 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Player Contracts

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    How many places remaining? Who do we need? Is there room for Figg, or are we overloaded?
    I have a feeling Gus has a serious knee injury and may be out next season so I guess Figg would be good injury cover in that case?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    I have a feeling Gus has a serious knee injury and may be out next season so I guess Figg would be good injury cover in that case?
    So he can be offered WTG? If so, does he get a living allowance? I note Scoble is still Future Force according to the front page, does that need to change or is he essentially contracted?

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Only the bolded info is confirmed for next year, anything not bolded is their current status.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    WTG??

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Wider Training Group (WTG)

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Rookie
    vCash
    Robbie Coleman has signed for 2 years.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RugbyReg View Post
    Robbie Coleman has signed for 2 years.
    That was left field!

Jump to navigation
    Western Force

Cart

Search

MENU

Western Force News

YOU ARE HERE

1. News & Media

FORCE LURE COLEMAN TO THE WEST

By David Berrie on Fri 21st October 16

The Western Force have signed Brumbies utility back Robbie Coleman for the 2017 and 2018 Super Rugby seasons.
    The 26-year-old will leave the Canberra based club with a year left on his contract and head west to continue his rugby career.
    After 80 caps with the Brumbies, Coleman says it was time to change and the fact that he’ll now be coached again by Dave Wessels was a huge factor in his decision.
    “I met Dave back in 2012 when he was working at the Brumbies and I had a great relationship with him then,” he said. “Now that he’s the head coach of an exciting team, it was an offer too good to refuse and I can’t wait to get out there and pull on the blue jersey.”

The pacey back says that he hopes to bring experience and a tough attitude to the Force and looks forward to the challenge that next season will bring.
    “What I’m hoping to bring to the squad is that second source of a ball player and basically being able to give the playmakers a bit of a voice out there, while providing a bit of speed and acceleration out there.
    “If I can give any advice and help anyone out there, I’d be more than happy to and I’m just really excited about a fresh start with the Western Force.”
    In what was a red hot Buildcorp National Rugby Championship for Coleman this season, he says consistent game time has given him confidence to head into next year.
    “There was actually talks of me heading over to the Force a few years ago, but my body just wasn’t in the right physical condition.
    “I didn’t really want to make the move when I was injured and know I couldn’t give my all to the club. Now that I’ve played a lot of rugby back-to-back and my body is feeling great, I’m ready to have the best season of my career.”

Western Force head coach Dave Wessels is thrilled to have Coleman sign and says it’s been in the works for some time.
    “We’re delighted to sign Robbie,” he said. “We’ve actually been trying to get him for a number of years as I was lucky enough to have coached him at the Brumbies.
    “We know he’s a very good player and we know he’s exactly the type of player we want in our group as well, so we’re very pleased to have him come to the west.”
    Wessels says that Coleman’s experience is a huge advantage and will bring a lot to the squad.
    “Robbie has played 80 Super Rugby games in a successful team and has a winning mentality, but he’s still only 26-years-old, so he has a lot of good rugby left in him.
    “He can play a number of different positions in the backline which is useful for us and he’s also a left footer which makes him very valuable.
    “Most of all the thing I love about Robbie is that he’s a winner. He’s a very competitive guy and he is exactly the type positive energy we need in our group.”
    Name:
    Robbie Coleman
    Date of Birth: 3/8/1990
    Place of Birth: Canberra, Australia
    Position: Utility Back
    Height: 179cm
    Weight: 89kg
    Super Rugby caps: 80
    Super Rugby points: 85
    Super Rugby debut: (Brumbies) 2010 v Reds

NEWS & MEDIA

prev
    next

Doghouse Digital Agency – Drupal and Magento experts

vCash
    Seriously? We aspire to be an average team by signing average players from other teams who can't make the run-on side. Coleman has reached his potential and isn't going to get any better. I'd rather we looked for talent with potential like that winger for the Rays (Harry Jones?) or some other up-and-comer.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Robbie Coleman may not necessarily be a super star but he is a good solid player to have in the squad as injury cover and to create depth which is what we need to do. I know he was quite well respected at the brumbies. Great to see how much he respects Dave as a coach.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by volvo; 21-10-16 at 10:12.

vCash
    That's a bit of a surprise, but a good signing nonetheless. He will have to step up his game to be more than a bench player, but the boy has skills and I would rate him higher than most of the 2016 bench.

I call

C'mon the

vCash
    If we look at our player roster last year and this year, we are most definitely on paper a far better balanced side.

Every lost player has been replaced by better, only Kyle could be argued both ways.

I have always like Coleman, off the bench he can add a spark or do something at speed that opens up a gap or two. Like Jono someone with the right attitude.

Another great signing and again out of left field.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    We need a backup 10

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    We need a backup 10
    We still have Grant and Burton will hopefully be back in action during the course of the season.

I know Grant is not everyones favourite but as a back up and a cool experienced head he fills the role.

Worse case Ian Prior did his chances no harm on the weekend just past

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Senior Player
    vCash
    Western Force sign Brumbies back Coleman

Nick Taylor - The West Australian on October 21, 2016, 10:05 am

Coleman joins new faces like Curtis Rona who has returned to rugby after a successful NRL spell with Canterbury, Billy Meakes from Gloucester, and prop Ben Daley and second-rower Ben Matwijow both from Queensland.

They still have one vacancy, likely to be filled by an outside back, however flanker Gus Cottrell is likely to miss the 2017 season after having a knee reconstruction this week.

They have good back row depth but Cottrell’s injury brings an opening for Australian sevens representative Sam Figg who will be on a pre-season trial.

The Force initially chased Coleman, who has been released from the final year of his Brumbies contract, three years ago.

The move has shocked the Canberra side who were considering Coleman as playmaker next season with Christian Lealiifano fighting leukaemia and Matt Toomua’s move to Leicester.

But Coleman said he was looking for a fresh start after 80 games and nine years at the Brumbies and new coach Dave Wessels was a big drawcard.

Coleman first met Wessels when he was coaching at the Brumbies four years ago.

“I met Dave back in 2012 when he was working at the Brumbies and I had a great relationship with him then,” Coleman said.

“There was actually talks of me heading over to the Force a few years ago, but my body just wasn’t in the right physical condition.

“I didn’t really want to make the move when I was injured and know I couldn’t give my all to the club. Now that I’ve played a lot of rugby back-to-back my body is feeling great.

"Now that he (Wessels) is the head coach of an exciting team it was an offer too good to refuse. I’m just really excited about a fresh start."

Coleman, said he hoped his 80 game Super Rugby career would bring experience and a tough attitude to the Force and he was looking forward to the challenge that next season will bring.

“What I’m hoping to bring to the squad is that second source of a ball player and basically being able to give the playmakers a bit of a voice out there, while providing a bit of speed and acceleration," he said.

Wessels said the signing had been in the works for some time.

“We’re delighted to sign Robbie,” he said.

"We’ve actually been trying to get him for a number of years as I was lucky enough to have coached him at the Brumbies.

“We know he’s a very good player and we know he’s exactly the type of player we want in our group as well, so we’re very pleased to have him come to the west.”

Wessels says that Coleman’s experience was a huge asset.

"Robbie has played 80 Super Rugby games in a successful team and has a winning mentality, but he’s still only 26-years-old, so he has a lot of good rugby left in him," he said.

“He can play a number of different positions in the backline which is useful for us and he’s also a left footer which makes him very valuable.

“Most of all the thing I love about Robbie is that he’s a winner. He’s a very competitive guy and he is exactly the type positive energy we need in our group.”

Brumbies Head Coach Stephen Larkham said they were disappointed to lose Coleman, but understood his decision.

"Robbie has been a part of the Brumbies development program since a young age and we are all very proud of what he has been able to achieve," he said.

“We wish Robbie all the best on this next chapter in his career.”

Coleman developed his game as a fly-half, moving through the Australian Schools, under-20s sevens squads.

In recent years he has played full-back and wing and scored 17 tries and 85 points

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...coleman/#page1

Player
    vCash
    "The move has shocked the Canberra side who were considering Coleman as playmaker next season with Christian Lealiifano fighting leukaemia and Matt Toomua’s move to Leicester."

A playmaker not wanting to be coached by the great Larkham? All not well in Canberra?

Page 27 of 42 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 37 ... LastLast