Page 12 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Player Contracts

vCash
    Buy a 13 and show masirewa the door. I think we're also short in 10/12, along with being at least a couple of quality backs short in terms of reserves/injury cover. I'd like the opportunity to have to choose between Rona and somebody else and the same in flyhalf and the centres.

I am still of the opinion that we need to buy well enough to put some of our starters onto the fringe, players like brache (as much as I love his enthusiasm, he just isn't good enough right now)

Grant should only be used as third or fourth string IMHO

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    So if Taps stays, can we move him to 12 and have Meakes (or Masirewa?) at 13. We could potentially have a very tasty first choice backline next year:

9. Prior
    10. Lance
    11. Morahan
    12. Tapuai
    13. Masirewa
    14. Rona
    15. DHP

21. Louwrens/Ruru
    22. Grant/Burton
    23. Meakes/Brache
    I'd swap Rona and Masirewa. Rona is a good defender and has shown a good passing game at center when required. Masirewa makes a few too many errors for mine.

Speaking of Mungos. Tepai Moeroa is being wasted in League. The coach has him playing a heavily defence orientd game. The bloke is a great ball carrier but doesn't get many opportunities. Would be great to see him at 12 for us. Unlikely as that is. If anyone gets hkm it will be the Tahs I supppse.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    One of the Roar articles mentioned that the Force's new coach would be announced within a month.

vCash
    That makes sense, Reds coach will be named next week once the Aussie season is over and the force will pick over the scraps

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Rookie
    vCash
    So the season is over and time to take off the rose coloured glasses and have a look at who is left in the squad based on my view of their 2016 performances:

Props (7):
    Pek Cowan 2018 - Sadly passed it and living on his old rep - will be a liability next year
    Jermaine Ainsley 2018 - moments of promise followed by long periods of "not ready by a few years"
    Tetera Faulkner 2017 - WTF - the worst season in memory by Tet. A fringe Wallaby who looked shocking on the park.
    Francios van Wyk 2017 - workmanlike and should be starting
    Ben Daley 2017 - Ha HA HA - a worthy replacement for Millar and at the same level.
    Chris Heiberg 2016 - stepped up this year but never seems to get enough of a gig to have an impact
    Mees Erasmus 2016 FF - No Idea
    Vui Shembeckler 2016 FF - The Forces version of Tongan Thor... but will need a few years to develop. push too early and blow smoke and there may be adverse effects - manage with care

Hookers (3):
    Nathan Charles 2016 - Bye... too injury prone and a one hit wonder this season.. off to pastures new
    Heath Tessman 2016 - solid and should have been kept as a bench finisher
    Tom Sexton 2016 EPS - a disaterous pick by our man Foley - appaling at club level let alone anything above.
    Harry Scoble 2016 FF - good find and will develop into a quality player.

Locks (4):
    Adam Coleman 2017 - super line out jumper but has lived off his past glories and his Wallaby call up - not a world class lock and never will be
    Matt Philip - could develop into a good Super player - good find
    Ben Matijow NO Idea
    Richie Arnold 2016 EPS - hmmm a year of paying his medical bills - another win for Foley
    Riely Winter 2016 FF - unlikely to progress much further

Backrowers (7):
    Ben McCalman 2018 - aging legend and all around top lad in attack and defense - one of our few top class players
    Matt Hodgson 2017 - fading legend and all around top lad in defence... where has his attack gone?
    Brynard Stander 2017 - a brick... interpret that as you will
    Ross Haylett-Petty 2017 - a true find - after years of living in DHPs shadow he has stepped out and if he keeps developing - a Wallaby
    Angus Cottrell 2016 - another medical joker
    Kane Koteka 2016 EPS - why oh why does he not get more game time??
    Dylan Pieterse 2016 FF - No Idea
    Richard Hardwick 2016 FF - another local find but needs to be managed - a long way to go but have oodles of potential

Scrumhalves (3):
    Ian Prior 2017 - solid if uninspiring
    Ryan Louwrens 2017 - a talent and should be starting
    Angus Taylor 2016 FF - who?

Flyhalves (3):
    Peter Grant 2017 (M) - oh please retire
    Luke Burton 2017 - Quality player and needs a solid offseason to get over injuries prior to being rushed back into a team where he is getting hammered
    Jono Lance 2017 - overhyped in my opinion - had a cracking start to the season and then, once back from injury, has not lived up to early hype
    Nuade Wessels 2016 FF - nice kid and one for a few years time

Centres (5):
    Bill Meakes 2018 - Did well in the UK and could be a missing link
    Ben Tapuai 2017 - Going through the motions though scored a nice run away on the weekend.. WTF has he not tried to run during the other games??
    Marcel Brache 2017 - uninspiring and making up numbers. How he is starting I have no idea.
    Ammon Matuauto 2016 EPS - out of his depth every time he came on... Nice guy but no where near ready for SR
    James Verity-Amm 2016 FF - ?????

Outside Backs (5):
    Dane Haylett-Petty 2017 - The star of the season all season. Enough Said
    Semisi Masirewa 2017 - Hmm twinkle toes in attack and tinkle toes in defence... not my bag baby
    Luke Morahan 2017 - My jury is out on Luke - I like him as a player but there have been games where he just does no figure enough
    Curtis Rona - Mungo transfer BUT a local lad with a good junior pedigree - big wraps for the coming season and I wish him well.
    Albert Nikoro 2016 - Naahhh
    Brad Lacey 2016 EPS - So close... nice kid... great Boar... just missing something at the next level - give him a shot over Brache any day

Star recruit - Where is Ruru?
    Onehunga Havili 2016 FF - No!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Wasn't there another prop on our list this year Beauregard?

Rookie
    vCash
    [QUOTE=Beauregard;415036]So the season is over and time to take off the rose coloured glasses and have a look at who is left in the squad based on my view of their 2016 performances:

Locks (4):

Ben Matijow NO Idea - Serviceable at the Reds only released for the return of Kane Douglas
    Albert Nikoro 2016 - Naahhh _ Represented Samoa not a marquee

The Future Force is doing its job well a bridge between locals and imports.

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Wasn't there another prop on our list this year Beauregard?
    I am sure there was... there were also a number of other forwards and backs? This is a comment on the squad for next year and the holes that need to be filled by incoming coach.

Champion
    vCash
    Tom Sexton- Gets dragged playing club rugby,I was told how terrible he was as soon as they signed him
    Richie Arnold-One of the most uncordinated players I have ever seen' Quote from one of his coaches'
    James Verity-Amm- turned up with a pre existing injury

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beauregard View Post
    Adam Coleman 2017 - super line out jumper but has lived off his past glories and his Wallaby call up - not a world class lock and never will be
    Living off past glories? He's 24 and has only played 2 seasons. Give the young feller a chance!

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Also, Ben Matwijow. Pretty long courtship - he was one of the blow-ins for the B&I Lions match 3 years ago, wasn't he?

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Rookie
    vCash
    From the Reds Website

Ben Matwijow
    Height: 197 cm
    Weight: 114 kg
    Date Of Birth:14/02/1990
    Senior Club

The St.George Queensland Reds have secured ITM Cup-winning Canterbury lock Ben Matwijow for the 2016 Super Rugby season.
    Matwijow joins the Reds as cover for Wallabies lock Kane Douglas, who suffered a knee injury in the Rugby World Cup final in London.
    Matwijow has previous training experience with the Melbourne Rebels (2012) and Western Force (2013), featuring in the latter’s match against the touring British & Irish Lions.

The lock also played for NSW Country Eagles in the 2014 National Rugby Championship. He joined Canterbury ahead of the 2015 season in order to further develop his game. 2015 Featured in Canterbury’s successful ITM Cup championship campaign.

He will be serviceable like Wykes and a few other Locks from the past. It took Scott Fardy a long time to break through.
    I don't see Ben as a Wallaby but at least a good squad and match day 23 player.

Player
    vCash
    Fardy has an attribute most pro players would most like to have, Luck, and he has it in 80 games of Super Rugby and numerous Tests.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by choice View Post
    Fardy has an attribute most pro players would most like to have, Luck, and he has it in 80 games of Super Rugby and numerous Tests.
    Maybe he's a fan of Lee Trevino.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Ben Matijow confirmed for 2017.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Page 12 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast