Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: More Foley Rumours From The East

Champion
    vCash

More Foley Rumours From The East

SOUND FAMILIAR?
    PLAYERS are watching with interest to see how the Michael Foley situation is handled in Perth now that the ARU has formed an alliance with the Western Force.
    Foley has a poor coaching record, and the Force are struggling for marketability, crowds, and recruiting power, while some established players in Perth are looking to move.
    But Foley is demanding a full payout for the final year of his contract if sacked at the end of this season, and the powers that be are now wondering if they can afford it.
    This whole saga seems familiar.
    When the Reds were under the pump in 2015, they decided to stick with coach Richard Graham. They lost crowds and revenue, eventually were forced to sack Graham anyway, and have now had to make several staff members redundant because of tight purse strings as a result of fans turning off them.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/m...47fb73b1effa10

Found this little tidbit in an article about Reece Hodge.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I don't believe a word of it. Wish they would keep their noses out of business that does not concern them!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Veteran
    vCash
    lets be honest - is anyone surprised? I'm not.

vCash
    Foley demanding a pay out for the final year of his contract and RugbyWA not being able to afford a pay oyt has been speculated by most of the people on this forum. I'm surprised the people who extended Foley's deal back in 2014 didn't put in some KPI's in case he needed to be moved on.

The only part of that artcile snippet is not yet substiated is the part about established players looking to move on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    ...established players looking to move on.
    Established? TBH which established players do we care about enough that we are worried about them moving on?

Big Dog is signed for three years? Coleman is about the only other one, maybe Faulkner? Cottrel was in that classification, but has slipped the past two seasons (injury?).

In the backs.......hmmmm......Godwin? Same as Cottrel

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Player
    vCash
    "But Foley is demanding a full payout for the final year of his contract if sacked at the end of this season, and the powers that be are now wondering if they can afford it"

Paying out Foley may save them money, coz keeping him will do nothing to improve sponsorship, player recruitment, player retention and memberships. Get the right coach and things will change for the better on all of those points.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahard View Post
    SOUND FAMILIAR?
    PLAYERS are watching with interest to see how the Michael Foley situation is handled in Perth now that the ARU has formed an alliance with the Western Force.
    Foley has a poor coaching record, and the Force are struggling for marketability, crowds, and recruiting power, while some established players in Perth are looking to move.
    But Foley is demanding a full payout for the final year of his contract if sacked at the end of this season, and the powers that be are now wondering if they can afford it.
    This whole saga seems familiar.
    When the Reds were under the pump in 2015, they decided to stick with coach Richard Graham. They lost crowds and revenue, eventually were forced to sack Graham anyway, and have now had to make several staff members redundant because of tight purse strings as a result of fans turning off them.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/m...47fb73b1effa10

Found this little tidbit in an article about Reece Hodge.
    I personally spoke to Foles in the week and he said he was committed to the Force wants to stay and nothing had been discussed!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    I personally spoke to Foles in the week and he said he was committed to the Force wants to stay and nothing had been discussed!
    And nor should it if the deal is an end of season review. The only possibility is the new bosses having the money to pay him out

C'mon the

vCash
    Surely we should just keep Foley on as a forwards coach and hire a decent head coach

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Gut feeling is that this would make for a toxic culture.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    I can still leave room in my head for the possibility that Foley has been working with half a toolset due to finances. The 'alliance' announcement made it exceptionally clear that the team wouldn't last long without the ARU money. This, aligned with the obvious signs I've been pointing to for a year, makes me wonder whether the assistants were there based upon their asking price more than their talents, the lack of an attacking coach could be cost saving as well.

Maybe enough money to actually implement his plan will turn the balance

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    two edged sword GIGS20, and self fulfilling prophecy

lack of super quality assistants, and no attack coach, has led to moribund play, failure in performance, drop in revenue, disheartened fans, less bums on seats

When Foles has the resources in players and moolah, Tahrds performance was equally inept

From memory Foles was hired to broom the stench of previous divisive coaches from both the admin and changeroom, and put in place structures and a framework for long term future success. He was meant to be director, not head coach. It is THAT lack of money to provide an actual head coach - and not replacing Meehan when he left - leaving Foley to be both head coach (proven failure in that role) and attack coach, that appears the root of the problem

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post

When Foles has the resources in players and moolah, Tahrds performance was equally inept
    From memory I believe that there was strong rumors of continual interference by the NSWRU Board that prevented Coach Foley from doing his job.

I sometimes wonder how much of the Tahs performance Stigma is attached to the dislike/hatred of Foley by some TWF Members. Or is it something else?

For the record - I believe that it is very hard to judge a Coach based on performance when you have a side of hard working but low grade players.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    It's worth remembering that in Foley's 2nd season (2014) we were usually in the top half of the table and in the running for the playoffs. He has had some success over here.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    two edged sword GIGS20, and self fulfilling prophecy

lack of super quality assistants, and no attack coach, has led to moribund play, failure in performance, drop in revenue, disheartened fans, less bums on seats
    Can't argue with that comment at all bison, that's why I am really only flagging it as a possibility, rather than any real support for the man. He seems like a nice bloke who is passionate about his rugby, but is that an indication of a good/successful coach.

THat's also true, but the Tahs' mental issues and board meddling are legendary, It's more of a surprise to me that Cheika WAS successful than Foley not being successful, still doesn't lock me into him DEFINITELY being a shit coach....to be fair, neither have I seen anything to suggest that he's a good enough coach for 2014 to be anything more than a fluke.

After four years of him, the jury's still out in my mind....... that can't be a ringing endorsement!

C'mon the

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast