Thread: New Zealand domestic rugby to trial six-point tries in 2016

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

New Zealand domestic rugby to trial six-point tries in 2016

SIX-POINT tries and some fundamental rule changes will operate on a trial basis in New Zealand domestic rugby this year.

New laws aimed at making the game safer, simpler and more attractive will be trialled in the NPC and the second-tier Heartland Championship, NZ Rugby announced on Tuesday.

There will be amendments to laws related to the tackle and breakdown, while the point-scoring changes will be introduced to the Heartland Championship only.

The new scoring system will award six points for a try and two points for penalties and dropped goals.

NZ Rugby general manager rugby Neil Sorensen said testing new laws represents a chance for New Zealand’s teams and players to influence the global game.

“It’s always exciting to be part of a process that looks to keep the game fresh and relevant,” he said.

“We believe (the laws) will help make the game safer to play, will be easier to understand, and as a result more entertaining to watch.”

Six-point tries will be introduced to New Zealand’s Heartland Championship in 2016.Six-point tries will be introduced to New Zealand’s Heartland Championship in 2016. Source: Getty Images

The trials are part of a cyclical law review undertaken by World Rugby every four years.

New laws could be considered for a global trial next year and possible adoption in 2018.

The latest proposed changes have had input from All Blacks coach Steve Hansen and Chiefs coach Dave Rennie.

Under the tackle change which favours the attacking team, the tackler must release the ball carrier and rejoin the tackle from a less-advanced position.

The next arriving defender can only play at the ball if they are on their feet and a breakdown hasn’t formed.

The main change to the breakdown involves the formation of an imaginary offside line behind the hindmost foot for both teams.

Players must join the breakdown from behind the line, must be fully bound and on their feet.

The latest proposed rule changes have had input from All Blacks coach Steve Hansen and Chiefs coach Dave
    There was an earlier proposal to consider the use of two referees. However, it has been dropped for this round of law trials.

Super Rugby is already trialling another new law, which allows a team to kick for touch and take a lineout if they are awarded a penalty after time is expired.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/ne...79b0ed850c5581

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    will be very interested to watch games under these new laws

vCash
    Makes more sense than 3 point conversions.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    SIX-POINT tries and some fundamental rule changes will operate on a trial basis in New Zealand domestic rugby this year.
    http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/ne...79b0ed850c5581
    So the All Blacks will win by more, more or less

vCash
    I like the 6-point try, but is it still 7 points for a converted try or is it 8 now? I reckon the 1-point conversion could be trialled to take the importance away from the conversions a little bit. I still think penalties could remain at 3, as I have a problem with the fact that the defending team might feel that it's okay to concede only 2 rather than 6, and therefore keep infringing. I like the idea of drop-goals being 2 points now.

Does the imaginary offside line come into effect, even if the tackled player passes it off the ground?

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    I like the 6-point try, but is it still 7 points for a converted try or is it 8 now? I reckon the 1-point conversion could be trialled to take the importance away from the conversions a little bit. I still think penalties could remain at 3, as I have a problem with the fact that the defending team might feel that it's okay to concede only 2 rather than 6, and therefore keep infringing. I like the idea of drop-goals being 2 points now.

Does the imaginary offside line come into effect, even if the tackled player passes it off the ground?
    The NRC works fine with it. The defending team commits penalties, but a) the ref ends up handing out cards, and b) the attacking team foregoes the kick and opts for a line-out to keep the pressure on.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Agreed, I don't think it is having tries worth more that has teams go for it, it is having penalties worth less. They already want tries, it is just that three points is hard to turn down.

Personally, I prefer the NRC version. Less incentive to take penalties, so more tries but goal kicking is still of critical importance. Downgrade both penalties and conversions, how long before you don't have anyone bothering to practice their kicks?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    I like the 6-point try, but is it still 7 points for a converted try or is it 8 now?