Thread: Western Force prop leaves for NZ

vCash

Question Western Force prop leaves for NZ

I dont know if you guys have already seen this but I noticed yesterday in a Kiwi rugby site that Dave Te Moana a 122kg prop has left the Force for NZ heres an excerpt for the Marc Hinton article:

"The Turbos, as they're called these days, have signed two Kiwi-born front-rowers from Perth to fill a glaring weakness in their squad for their much-anticipated return to top-flight rugby.

Western Force prop Dave Te Moana, who tips the scales at 122kg, and former Canterbury Colt Mike Rowe, who has been playing club rugby in Perth, were due to arrive in the Manawatu on Tuesday to join the Turbos.

The Air NZ Cup replaces the NPC and kicks off on July 28. Manawatu's first match is at home against Auckland on July 29.

"He's a big man, he's a Kiwi from the East Coast (Opotiki) and he's pretty keen to come back and develop his career," Manawatu coach Dave Rennie told the Dominion-Post newspaper about Te Moana who has played a half-dozen matches for the Force.

"We were chasing one prop and we've ended up with two, which is good because it will give us a bit of depth and a bit of experience."

Does anyone know what the back story is how come we couldn't keep him etc...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Wests will be spewing!!!! Somebody poaching their player! Unheard of.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    My mail tells me that he wasn't let go on his on field ability.Other factors may have come into consideration

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Do you guys rate him?

vCash
    I rate him. I think he is a great guy and with experience would become a great player. I am very sad to see him go. Oh and Wests would be spewin about Rowey. haha

vCash
    I was just a bit surprised as it wasn't that long a go that the 'Big Dog" was getting talked up for preforming pretty, an ex queensland acdemy guy I thought he done pretty well when he was on the field and you can always do with a 122kg prop I just wondered what happened for him to go from playing Super 14 Rugby in Australia to NPC rugby in NZ...

I noticed the other day that there is not as many picturtes in the players profile page at the WF homesite - obviously players coem and go but does any know how the WF player stocks look for next season so far?

You know a whose come - and there have been some big signings - but importantly whose gone?

We all hear about whose arriving but have many players left?

vCash
    you guys are looking pretty good for next season.. Burgs has been maintaining a list of player movements here

Apprentice
    vCash
    Having seen both of them in action I would rate Mike Rowe higher than David Te Moana. Moana's work rate in the loose wasn't that good. He appeared to lack fitness on some occasions and I thought he would have sttod out more when he played at club level.

I guess Joji will have to have another "evergreen" season.

Player
    vCash
    Ok everytime i log on i hear about all these players leaving. can anyone give me a full list of all the Force players from last year who wont be there next year. I know about James, Graham and now Te Moana

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Vitori Buatava finished at Force, stay with Perth club rugby
    Tim Davidson to NSW Club Rugby
    Gavin DeBartolo to NSW Club Rugby
    Josh Graham to Gold Coast Titans (League) Queennsland
    Brock James to ASM club in Clermont-Ferrand, France
    David Te Moana to Manawatu, New Zealand
    Ben Ward to NSW Club Rugby
    John Welborn to retire (again)

Also possibly off contract (with nothing officially confirmed as to their status for 2007 as yet)are:
    Pek Cowan
    Luke Doherty
    David Fitter
    Tajhon Smallman-Mailata
    AJ Whalley

vCash
    Thanks Coach,

Yeah if I had a little bit more patience I wouldn't have had to ask in the first place, the WF sent out a email news letter on Friday pretty much detailing all of what I was trying to find out (other than why but that’s often just speculation anyway), so if I'd waited three days...

By the way I did read that Rowe was in the 15 for Manawatu where as Te Moana I think is in the extended squad ... It was just a puzzler as to why you would leave a S14 team to play NPC and still not be in the 22.

Ah well we certainly have the a lot of top name players and hopefully the depth to last a few injuries.

vCash
    Ben Ward is actually in France playing rugby.
    Gavin Debartolo has rumored to have signed with Italian Club Parma.
    It is also rumoured that Luke Doherty is heading to a Welsh club.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Better prospects in Palmerston North

Better prospects in Palmerston North

Peter Lampp
    Wednesday, July 26, 2006

David Te Moana has forfeited his place in the Western Force Super 14 squad to throw in his lot with Manawatu.

The big tighthead prop, who arrived in Palmerston North on Monday, is trying to forge a professional career, and figured he had to be busy playing and in a professional environment to do so.

In Perth the club competition is modest, and wouldn't have helped him develop between Super 14 seasons.

"It came down to playing consistent footie. And as a young front-rower, you need time and an environment with experienced players," he said.

"I thought if there was a chance of playing NPC rugby, I'd take it."

Manawatu coach Dave Rennie had a contact in Perth and he called Te Moana.

The Australians were initially reluctant to release him, but he wanted to play first-division rugby and was eventually cleared.

As far as he knows, he is still registered with the Australian Rugby Union and eligible for the Wallabies.

He is a New Zealander from off his grandparents' farm near Opotiki in Bay of Plenty.

The dairy farm was all he knew until he took up rugby at age 19. Had he not done so, he presumed he'd still be milking cows.

He was immediately picked for the Bay of Plenty under-19s, and a year later headed for Queensland and into the front row of the Gold Coast Breakers.

From there the Western Force signed him up as an apprentice player.

"I didn't think I would even be playing for them. When I signed, they thought I'd be a year away. But it ended up being a good thing, and the rewards came."

Coach John Mitchell soon had him in the Force squad for the Super 14.

The farm kid from Opotiki found himself running out on to Subiaco Oval in Perth in front of 30,000 people and at the big stadiums in South Africa.

"That was a big change from playing in front of 300 to 400 spectators. You try to take everything in - new club, new environment . . ."

His odyssey to Palmerston North is similar, as the Turbos construct a new team.

"That's what I liked about coming here," he said.

He'd thought about heading to Bay of Plenty or North Harbour, but then heard Manawatu was looking for a prop.

"I want to try and build a new career, get game time and get a good profile.

"I'm still young and have a lot to learn. I need game time to be taught and time to develop myself as a prop."

It seems unlikely he'll start for Manawatu against Auckland, given that today was the first time Rennie would see Te Moana and the other West Australian prop, Mike Rowe, on the scrum machine.

But with the paucity of heavyweight props in Manawatu, they'll see action soon enough in the Air New Zealand Cup.

Manawatu Standard

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Great thread Burgs. All the best to him.

vCash
    just wondering coach if there was a limit as to how many signings a super 14 club can have?