Thread: It's warming up.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    ps

she was very astute

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Pushy? Standoffish? Arrogant? Not willing to give it a chance?
    Reads the club threads on TWF?

Veteran
    vCash
    Which are the "mega clubs that don't have a welcoming culture"?

Every rugby club I've ever been in (yes including Cottesloe , Nedlands et al) has gone out of it's way to make visitors and opposition supporters and players welcome.

'The welcome is extended even further to anyone turning up and saying "I'm Bob and I'd like a game. I've never played/ played for Woop Woop 3rd grade /played rep rugby in NZ".

Anyone who feels put off should at least consider their own attitude. Pushy? Standoffish? Arrogant? Not willing to give it a chance?

There are some obnoxious people (like me) in every organization, but a rugby club is one place where the culture ensures they are few and far between.
    Can't really comment on other clubs, but i know that in large organisations, new people can get lost due to the high volumes of people - not that people aren't friendly, just that newbies can be overwhelmed.

Anyone know the reason why they wanted start a club? that is probably more interesting than the rest of the conversation.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Which are the "mega clubs that don't have a welcoming culture"?

Every rugby club I've ever been in (yes including Cottesloe , Nedlands et al) has gone out of it's way to make visitors and opposition supporters and players welcome.

'The welcome is extended even further to anyone turning up and saying "I'm Bob and I'd like a game. I've never played/ played for Woop Woop 3rd grade /played rep rugby in NZ".

Anyone who feels put off should at least consider their own attitude. Pushy? Standoffish? Arrogant? Not willing to give it a chance?

There are some obnoxious people (like me) in every organization, but a rugby club is one place where the culture ensures they are few and far between.
    Well I have an example where my nephew joined played a full year in the 3rd grade of Nedlands and was first choice lock, trained the whole week as 1st choice lock and then on Grand Final day his name was not even on the 26 players list. Not to mention that he was replaced by a couple of young boys who had been at Nedlands for longer than him. There was no obvious interaction between the 1st team and lower grades.
    As Palitu said the bigger an organisation the harder it is to make everyone welcome, but you cant treat a player like this without telling him. Just imagine how you would have felt if you were in the same situation as my nephew. No need to say that he will never play for them again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yungfen View Post
    Well I have an example where my nephew joined played a full year in the 3rd grade of Nedlands and was first choice lock, trained the whole week as 1st choice lock and then on Grand Final day his name was not even on the 26 players list. Not to mention that he was replaced by a couple of young boys who had been at Nedlands for longer than him. There was no obvious interaction between the 1st team and lower grades.
    As Palitu said the bigger an organisation the harder it is to make everyone welcome, but you cant treat a player like this without telling him. Just imagine how you would have felt if you were in the same situation as my nephew. No need to say that he will never play for them again.
    We beat a fairly average Neddies side twice in the season and then got pumped by a completely different side in the semis, I did wonder how the wholesale changes to the team was engineered so that the regulars weren't left feeling shafted?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zed View Post
    We beat a fairly average Neddies side twice in the season and then got pumped by a completely different side in the semis, I did wonder how the wholesale changes to the team was engineered so that the regulars weren't left feeling shafted?
    The sad truth of WA rugby where teams will do whatever they can to get a flag! Nedlands are not the only ones. A club on the other side of the river does it very well too.

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    pm me his name and what year this occurred and I will make enquiries how this happened

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    pm me his name and what year this occurred and I will make enquiries how this happened
    Surely this has happened to dozens of players at Nedlands? I've played in finals against Nedlands, and other clubs, where they have fielded virtually a completely different XV to what we played 3 weeks prior in the normal season fixture. Not 3 or 4, but 12, 13 players. On one occasion, our 3rd grade were unfortunately unable to field a side, but our 4th grade was. Rather than putting out their 4th grade vs our 4th grade, Nedlands put out their 3rd grade side, even though we had already relinquished any chance of getting any points because of the 3rd grade forfeit. Poor sportsmanship not only because they attempted to engineer a mismatch, but also denying their 4th grade a game. Ironically, they ended up losing against our 4th grade, they still got the points though, so I'm sure their beer still tasted sweet.

Last edited by zed; 22-03-16 at 11:12.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zed View Post
    Surely this has happened to dozens of players at Nedlands? I've played in finals against Nedlands, and other clubs, where they have fielded virtually a completely different XV to what we played 3 weeks prior in the normal season fixture. Not 3 or 4, but 12, 13 players. On one occasion, our 3rd grade were unfortunately unable to field a side, but our 4th grade was. Rather than putting out their 4th grade vs our 4th grade, Nedlands put out their 3rd grade side, even though we had already relinquished any chance of getting any points because of the 3rd grade forfeit. Poor sportsmanship not only because they attempted to engineer a mismatch, but also denying their 4th grade a game. Ironically, they ended up losing against our 4th grade, they still got the points though, so I'm sure their beer still tasted sweet.

As I understand it you cant forfeit 3rd grade and play 4th grade-you must forfeit the lower grade team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    As I understand it you cant forfeit 3rd grade and play 4th grade-you must forfeit the lower grade team
    yeah there were a few reasons why we couldn't/wouldn't do that. Anyway I'm no longer angry and bitter about it

Player
    vCash
    What comp are Perth Irish in?? Are they going to be Baysie 4th grade or a champ a/b side anyone know

vCash
    They are definitely separate from Baysie and I think that they will have a 3rd and 4th Grade (Champ A & B) and hence will only play the districts teams. I had originally heard 5th grade but that seems like it has changed.

Player
    vCash
    Fantastic bunch of lads.
    Had a quick chat with a couple last night.
    Waiting for the Baysie 4ths v Irish home game after match beers.
    You should all head down, could be the best or worst night of your lives!

Veteran
    vCash
    I heard they are not very good at boat races...

Apprentice
    vCash
    What a surprise. As a regular reader of these forums and former Nedlands player a few years ago this exact scenario happened to me too and I cant help but register to comment. Was a member of 3rd grade all year (bouncing between 2nds and 3rds throughout the year as needed) . We made the grand final and what a surprise my name was left off the squad for the grand final (after being starter for most of the year, sometimes sharing starting honurs with another lad) . Why? Two ring ins from previous years had been qualified through dodgy manipulation of the team sheets in the weeks prior to get them "qualified" . They hadnt played a single game all year but had been members of the club in the years prior but had gone travelling. I was disgusted and didnt shed a tear when they went on to lose the grand final.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast