Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricanes v Force - Round 4

vCash

Hurricanes v Force - Round 4

Western Force and Wallaby prop Tetera Faulkner has been named in the run-on side as one of six changes to the club’s starting XV for the clash with the Hurricanes.

In a huge boost to the Western Force pack and front-row in particular Faulkner has been injected straight into the starting line-up after recovering from a knee injury suffered in the pre-season ahead of schedule.

Veteran flyhalf Peter Grant will make his first start in the Western Force jersey after coming off the bench in the opening rounds. Grant starts for Jono Lance who has gone down with a pectoral injury suffered in last week’s meeting with the Brumbies.

In further changes to the run-on side, Nathan Charles returns to start at hooker, Angus Cottrell has been selected for his first start of the season at blindside flanker, Marcel Brache comes onto the left wing for Luke Morahan and Alby Mathewson will wear No.9 against his former side.

Head Coach Michael Foley said the clash with the Hurricanes is obviously an important one, with the team wanting to kick the three-week New Zealand tour off with a win.

“Playing the Hurricanes at home is always a tough match, but we look forward to the challenge and are eager to test ourselves against last year’s minor premiers.”

“The Hurricanes are a dangerous team with threats all over the park, but we will stick to our game style and focus on playing at pace.”

In the front row Pek Cowan once again starts at loosehead linking up with Charles and Faulkner as the Force field their most experienced front row possible with a combined 232 Asteron Life Super Rugby caps.

The second row remains unchanged with Adam Coleman partnering with Ross Haylett-Petty who gets his second start after impressing in his run-on debut last week.

The formidable paring of Matt Hodgson and Ben McCalman make up the backrow alongside Cottrell who will look to make the most of his start at blindside.

The old heads of Alby Mathewson and Peter Grant will partner in the halves for the first time while Solomoni (Junior) Rasolea starts at inside centre after a strong showing last week with Ben Tapuai named at outside centre.

After bagging his second try of the season last week Luke Morahan will miss this weekend’s game and Marcel Brache will man the right wing with Semisi Masirewa on the left while the in-form Dane Haylett-Petty will once again start at fullback.

Coming off the bench, the experienced Heath Tessmann and Steve Mafi will look to make an impact when called upon. While Ryan Louwrens has been named for his first appearance of the season after earning seven caps in a breakout year in 2015 and New Zealand recruit Albert Nikoro is set to make his Western Force debut off the bench.

2016 Asteron Life Super Rugby – Week Four
    Hurricanes v Western Force
    Central Energy Trust Arena, Palmerston North
    Friday, 18 March 2016
    Kick-off: 2:35PM AWST (Fox Sports)

1. Pekahou Cowan
    2. Nathan Charles
    3. Tetera Faulkner
    4. Ross Haylett-Petty
    5. Adam Coleman
    6. Angus Cottrell
    7. Matt Hodgson
    8. Ben McCalman
    9. Alby Mathewson
    10. Peter Grant
    11. Semisi Masirewa
    12. Solomoni (Junior Rasolea)
    13. Ben Tapuai
    14. Marcel Brache
    15. Dane Haylett-Petty

Reserves
    16. Chris Heiberg
    17. Heath Tessmann
    18. Jermaine Ainsley
    19. Sitiveni (Stevie) Mafi
    20. Brynard Stander
    21. Ryan Louwrens
    22. Ian Prior
    23. Albert Nikoro

And from The West: https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/...lkners-return/

Wallabies prop Tetera Faulkner makes his first appearance for Western Force in one of six changes for Friday afternoon’s clash with the Hurricanes in Palmerston North.

His return, earlier than expected from a knee injury, is a huge boost to the Force pack that struggled in the first three rounds.

Former Springbok fly-half Peter Grant will make his first start after coming off the bench in the opening two rounds. Grant replaces Jono Lance who suffered a pectoral injury in last week’s 31-14 loss to the Brumbies and could miss the rest of the season.

In other changes to the run-on side, Nathan Charles returns at hooker, Angus Cottrell makes his first start of the season at blindside flanker, Marcel Brache comes onto the left wing for Luke Morahan who has foot sorenesss while Alby Mathewson will wear the No.9 against his former side.

Pek Cowan starts at loosehead linking up with Charles and Faulkner in the Force’s most experienced front row.

The second row remains unchanged from the Brumbies game with Adam Coleman partnering Ross Haylett-Petty who gets his second start after his run-on debut last week.

Cottrell joins the Wallabies back-row pairing of Matt Hodgson and Ben McCalman.

Mathewson and Grant will partner in the halves for the first time with Junior Rasolea and Ben Tapuai named in the centres.

Brache is on the right wing with Samesi Masirewa on the left and the in-form Dane Haylett-Petty at full-back.

Coach Michael Foley said it was important to kick off the three-game tour of New Zealand with a win.

“Playing the Hurricanes at home is always a tough match, but we look forward to the challenge and are eager to test ourselves against last year’s minor premiers,” Foley said.

“The Hurricanes are a dangerous team with threats all over the park, but we will stick to our game style and focus on playing at pace.”

Western Force: Pek Cowan, Nathan Charles, Tetera Faulkner, Ross Haylett-Petty, Adam Coleman, Angus Cottrell, Matt Hodgson (capt), Ben McCalman, Alby Mathewson, Peter Grant, Semisi Masirewa, Junior Rasolea, Ben Tapuai, Marcel Brache, Dane Haylett-Petty. Reserves: Chris Heiberg, Heath Tessmann, Jermaine Ainsley, Steve Mafi, Brynard Stander, Ryan Louwrens, Ian Prior, Albert Nikoro.

Hurricanes: Chris Eves, Dane Coles (capt), Jeff Toomaga-Allen, Blade Thomson, Mark Abbott, Vaea Fifita, Ardie Savea, Victor Vito, TJ Perenara, Beauden Barrett, Julian Savea, Ngani Laumape, Vince Aso, Cory Jane, James Marshall. Reserves: Ricky Riccitelli, Loni Uhila, Ben May, Michael Fatialofa, Callum Gibbins, Jamison Gibson-Park, Willis Halaholo, Jason

+ Great to see Tetera back early. He was looking very pumped last Sunday as the surgeons and tests came up with the go ahead/all clear.
    + Ross H_P has earned his 2nd start.
    + Our best back row.
    + Keen to see what Peter G does for a full game.
    + Luke was looking a bit fragile at the end of the Brumbies game.
    + Good bench with Louwrens and Nikoro added to the mix.

GO WELL YOUNG MEN!!!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Darren; 18-03-16 at 09:31. Reason: Moved + Article Added

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    they are playing in Palmerston North--probably the most boring town in NZ after Hamilton!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Red Carded
    vCash
    Canes still finding there way to many mistakes of late
    Opportunity for force to steal this one
    Canes don't play well in Palmerston weather is looking ordinary
    If force can cut mistakes retain position this is there week

vCash
    Tetera Faulkner Excited For Return to the Field

By Fraser Smith on Wed 16th March 16

In a huge boost for the Western Force, Wallaby prop Tetera Faulkner has recovered from a knee injury to be named in the side for the clash with the Hurricanes on Friday afternoon.

The tighthead suffered the MCL injury in the preseason and wasn’t scheduled to return for a number of weeks, but the 45-time capped Force prop has been dedicated to his rehab under the watchful eye of the team’s medical staff and is ready to go for Round Four.

The 27-year-old was one of the Western Force’s most consistent performers in the 2015 season playing in all of the side’s matches and will bring a wealth of experience back to the front-row.

A powerful and accomplished scrummager Faulkner’s return the Force pack is a huge boost to the side leading into what will likely be a brutal front row battle during the side’s three match tour of New Zealand.

Faulkner said he can’t wait to get back out on the field against the Hurricanes this week.

“It’s really exciting to be named in the side for this week,” he said. No one likes to be doing rehab while your teammates are playing and training so I can’t wait to get back out there with boys and run around.”

“It has been tough to watch the guys run out in the first few rounds of the season because I wanted to be out there so badly but injury is a part of the game so you get over it. If anything watching the guys in the first three matches just made me push myself harder in rehab to get myself right so I could get back on the park.”

After going down with injury along with fellow prop Francois Van Wyk, Faulkner has praised the efforts of youngsters Jermaine Ainsley and Guy Millar.

“Both of those guys have really stepped it up to another level. They have come a long way even since the start of preseason. They got their opportunity and took it with both hands. That experience for them just grows our depth and it’s good for me because they have set the bench mark and now I have to go in and raise it even higher.”

Coming up against the Hurricanes, Chiefs and Highlanders Faulkner says the front-row is up and about for a big couple of weeks.

“Obviously it is a big challenge up against some quality front-rowers. We thought we really did well at the set-piece in the first week and then took a step back in the last two rounds. Now we coming up against some really quality opposition and we want to really attack the scrum and lineout.

“We know that we can perform well at the set-piece as we saw against the Rebels. So it’s just all about consistency and backing up. We just need to be mentally switched on and focused for every scrum and every lineout.”

Faulkner will run out for the first time this season when the Western Force do battle with the Hurricanes at 2:35PM WST on Friday, 18 March.

vCash
    Sports bet are paying $6.75

May the FORCE be with you!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    Sports bet are paying $6.75
    You're crackers if you don't take those odds! Correct me if i'm wrong but the Hurricanes were the first side we beat on kiwi soil?

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    No. The first side we beat on home soil. The first side we beat on Kiwi soil was the Blues in 2008 I think. I don't think we have ever beaten the Hurricanes away- although we deserved to back in about 2012.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Really sorry to hear that Jono Lance could be out for the rest of the season. Horrible luck for him :-(

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by boof1050 View Post
    You're crackers if you don't take those odds! Correct me if i'm wrong but the Hurricanes were the first side we beat on kiwi soil?
    We beat them in our pre season game.

vCash
    Jono Lance, Andre Pretorius, Lachlan MacKay...

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    No. The first side we beat on home soil. The first side we beat on Kiwi soil was the Blues in 2008 I think. I don't think we have ever beaten the Hurricanes away- although we deserved to back in about 2012.
    Yep, 2008, Blues at North Harbour and we did the Highlanders over in Queens town the week after.....oh what a tour that was

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    What a start to the year-
    Loss to the Sharks in Rnd 1
    Win over the Cheetahs after the buzzer in Rnd 2
    Win over the Lions Rnd 3
    Loss to the Crusaders in an epic in Rnd 4
    Wins over the Blues and Highlanders on the NZ trip.

All the big away games done and dusted in the first six games and then we go and mince things up from there.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    Jono Lance, Andre Pretorius, Lachlan MacKay...
    They should all wear 666!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    Palmerston North--probably the most boring town in NZ after Hamilton!
    But with a very high ratio of Junior All Black Triallists, >98% compared to Hamilton 93.9% (shame of the North Island).
    Clinton, nestled in North Otago has the overall lowest 10% which has led to cartographers presenting the south east coast in a line from Mosgiel to Balclutha to Invercargill, and describing areas east of this as "Stewart Island (the Larger)".

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    We beat them in our pre season game.
    So we've got the wood on them then. Tongue firmly in cheek!
    Great to see Tets back and our pack at close to full strength. Damn thats shit luck with Jono. C'mon Pete lets give it to these canes.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast