Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: See I told you..

vCash

See I told you..

Not sure who was first..The Chick on Rugby 360 or the (Gr)eg..

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/wa...05108#comments

Outgoing NSW Waratahs chief executive Greg Harris says the ARU should consider removing the Western Force from the Super Rugby competition and adding a second Sydney team as the ARU does not have the financial clout to take on the other major footballing codes on a national basis.

Harris, a former chief executive of the Western Force, finished his tenure as Waratahs boss this week and will be replaced by New Zealander Andrew Hore in mid-April.

Harris acknowledged there were some challenging times during his stint at Moore Park and looking more broadly at the state of the game said the ARU, from a strictly business sense, would be better off cutting its losses than keeping faith with making Western Australia work – a region Harris believes cannot prosper in such a saturated national sports market.

"Not even the NRL has a national footprint. They tried Adelaide, they tried Perth, but couldn't make it work, so what makes you think the ARU has the capacity to do it? It doesn't," Harris said on Friday.

Spent Force: Israel Folau scores a try against the Western Force.
    Spent Force: Israel Folau scores a try against the Western Force. Photo: Mark Kolbe

"And if you look at a small marketplace like Perth…there's a lot of good people and a lot of capable people, but the true fact of the matter is whether or not it has the economy to be able to underwrite a club is another thing. If you're in a business mode you work to your strengths and strength is the marketplace on the east coast."

Harris said the current Super Rugby competition structure, which is set in stone for at least the next five years, would be a "significant challenge" for the game in Australia in future.

When he took on the role last year, Harris spoke in an interview with Fairfax Media about how rugby lacked the kind of tribalism other football codes have boasted in recent times.

While Australian conference games are billed as local derbies, Harris believes they don't have the same atmosphere or sense of occasion as Western Sydney Wanderers and Sydney FC matches, or Sydney Swans and GWS Giants fixtures.

"Rugby can take a lead through the AFL and the soccer," Harris said.

"In [AFL] Brisbane and Sydney, you've got two teams because you need to have that rivalry established. In soccer, they [FFA] put two teams in [Sydney and Melbourne], so you've got a cross-town rivalry. The issue we've got here is that we don't have that tribalism. Our closest competition is the Brumbies who are three and a half hours away."

Asked whether it would be a good idea to have two Super Rugby franchises in Sydney, Harris said: "You want me to tell you something that you know?" before adding: "At the end of the day, the ARU chairman [Cameron Clyne] is a former banker.

"I wonder how many ATMs he's got in Perth and I wonder how many he's got in Sydney and Brisbane? Sydney and Brisbane are where your major stakeholders are. If you don't protect them, then you're going to lose them."

Reflecting on his time at the Waratahs – in which he inherited what he described as a "fairly unstable environment" - Harris listed some of his major achievements as appointing Daryl Gibson to fill Michael Cheika's void as head coach, retaining the majority of a roster whereby 70 per cent of players were off contract, and securing a 16-year venue hire agreement with the SCG Trust; a deal which took 10 months to finalise.

Harris has not closed the door on working in rugby down the track, but will take some time off to examine his options as well as "see a few beaches and racecourses".

The former Rugby Union Players Association boss also said the ARU had treated Sydney rugby clubs with little respect in regards to funding.

Harris argued club rugby was a major asset for the ARU in NSW and Queensland and an auspicious broadcast deal should have prompted investment in areas that from a business sense have previously, and will continue to, reap the rewards.

"If you're in a situation whereby you're under siege by the NRL, by the AFL and by soccer, what do you do with your major assets? You protect the assets that actually produce for you," Harris said. "I don't see that in the national strategy. The clubs backed Bill [Pulver] when he needed his NRC, cannibalised their own program, did everything for the ARU. When the ARU's got some funds, what's it done? Actually ignored them. It's not even the money, it's the respect."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by andrewM; 11-03-16 at 23:56.

vCash
    No wonder the force sucked when he was in charge

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Worrying to see this mentioned twice in the media in such a short period....

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Champion
    vCash
    This is so disrespectful to us fans that make the effort to go and see this team every season. They haven't won anything and they have had some bad times but seriously get lost and leave the force alone!!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Will never happen BUT I was serious when I said that Western Sydney would be more of an expansion market than Perth. Western Sydney is Rugby League first, Soccer second with a huge amount of daylight after that. The NSWRU can't even run a successful Shute Shield side out west.

Unfortunately the Force with their record will be open to this kind of speculation. There's no way they would even dream of moving a successful team.

If the ARU did remove the Force from WA I think it would devastate the local competition as well, similar to what happened post Western Reds in the NRL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    This is so disrespectful to us fans that make the effort to go and see this team every season. They haven't won anything and they have had some bad times but seriously get lost and leave the force alone!!
    I commented on the article words to this affect.. Grrrr!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Will never happen BUT...

Unfortunately the Force with their record will be open to this kind of speculation. There's no way they would even dream of moving a successful team.

If the ARU did remove the Force from WA I think it would devastate the local competition as well, similar to what happened post Western Reds in the NRL.
    I wouldn't be so sure. The neglect of grass-roots Rugby has caused lots of angst. The ARU claims to have a strategy to correct that. Where they differ over there is that the Shite Shield clubs think they ARE the grass roots despite having squandered past grants, partially to rape and pillage Western Sydney to strengthen themselves.

The Board may end up compromising if the howling is loud and sustained enough. Supposed to be impartial but NSW and Qld still get two appointees. I'd be worried if Geoff Stooke was replaced as "Other States" nominee by, say, a Mexican before the Fox deal is up again

Queensland seems quiet ATM. Hard to concentrate when the ship is sinking, I suppose.

Still, I suppose if it did happen the ARLC would swoop. Glass half full.

vCash
    I have sent the following email to ARU Headquarters:

"Please advise on the speculation in the media that the ARU will relocate the Western Force to western Sydney at the end of the current broadcasting contract (http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/wa...05108#comments).

This would be most disrespectful to the fans in WA who support the Force and the Wallabies. After the huge amounts of financial support given to Eastern Coast franchises it is time that The Force is supported and assisted to grow. The ARU needs to develop a draft system so that not all the ARU contracted players are concentrated in 3 of the older franchises. Make it a level playing field."

It will be interesting to see if I get a response.

vCash
    Is it time for a "save the Force" crowd funding effort???

What we need is money. The more money we have, the safer we are.

Champion
    vCash
    I keep hoping for a really big lotto win then I would like to make a sizeable donation to the force.. Hasn't happened so far :-(

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    At the moment I think it is more important that we attend the games, including the Wallabies game, to show the ARU that Rugby has a keen following here. Perhaps a rally before the start of the test could be the way to go if these rumours are still around

Red Carded
    vCash
    Seven mile spoke of this last year but was laughed at by the faithful
    The only way to sort this is to remove the ceo and instal a local CEO who is very business savvy and has an understanding of Perth and its ways
    The board needs a good clean out installing genuine rugby people and not self serving wankers
    Sorry to all the true force supporters but community rugby needs to be re-engaged 10 fold to create wealth and create a culture that gets stuck in behind its team
    The team needs to be forced to be a bigger part of the community
    All the blow in from over east need to be removed asap as they have only ever used this place as a stepping stone
    They are in a position to do more damage to the franchise than good as they position themselves for themselves
    There is time to position the franchise to be in a position of strength but not under eastern staters

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenmile View Post
    The only way to sort this is to remove the ceo and instal a local CEO who is very business savvy and has an understanding of Perth and its ways
    The board needs a good clean out installing genuine rugby people and not self serving wankers
    Sorry to all the true force supporters but community rugby needs to be re-engaged 10 fold to create wealth and create a culture that gets stuck in behind its team
    All the blow in from over east need to be removed asap as they have only ever used this place as a stepping stone
    They are in a position to do more damage to the franchise than good as they position themselves for themselves
    There is time to position the franchise to be in a position of strength but not under eastern staters
    So true sevenmile. Sack CEO and head coach and see what happens.
    Do you think they will stay in Perth and contribute back to community rugby? Like hell, they would probably put their names toward for the western Sydney franchise!!!!!

Player
    vCash
    Is whodunnit and sevenmile the same person cat-fishing the twf forums?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenmile View Post
    Yeah... Sorry bro - you lost me when you referred to yourself in the third person.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast