Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: FORCE SIDE NAMED FOR BATTLE WITH BRUMBIES

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

FORCE SIDE NAMED FOR BATTLE WITH BRUMBIES

Western Force and Wallaby back rower Ben McCalman has been named at No.8 in one of five changes to the starting XV set to do battle with the undefeated Brumbies at nib Stadium on Friday, 11 March.

McCalman is set to be unleashed on the Brumbies after easing himself back into Asteron Life Super Rugby with 10-minutes off the bench in the win over the Reds at Suncorp Stadium last weekend.

In three more changes to the starting forward pack, Nedlands youngster Jermaine Ainsley earns his first run-on start after impressing in his first two stints off the bench. 22-year-old Ross Haylett-Petty also makes the first start of his career while veteran hooker Heath Tessmann comes into the starting fold.

Coach Michael Foley said his side is looking to carry the momentum from last weekend into Friday night’s showdown with the team from the nation’s capital.

“We were pleased with the result last weekend,” he said. “And we're looking to continue to improve the speed of our game. Irrespective of our travel schedule, skill work remains a priority. We believe this will ultimately lead to us converting more of the opportunities we're creating.”

“A key learning from last season was that we needed to use a greater number of players in our starting 15, to ensure we gave ourselves the chance to perform at our best each week. We've retained the match 23 from last week and asked some players, who've displayed good form in training and from the bench to lead us out this week. This is something we've worked and planned for since the start of pre-season, but has been made a reality by how well players have supported each other across all positional groups.”

Pek Cowan remains at loosehead linking up with Ainsley and Tessmann in the front row.

In the second row Adam Coleman and Ross Haylett-Petty will look to dominate the set piece and disrupt the Brumbies at lineout time.

Captain Matt Hodgson and blindside flanker Brynard Stander complete the forward pack buoyed by the return of McCalman to the starting side.

In the only change to the backline, scrumhalf Ian Prior comes into the starting line-up for the first time this season while the rest of the starting backline remains unchanged. Jono Lance will again be the general after two strong showings so far this year, in the centres Solomoni (Junior) Rasolea retains his starting spot following the victory over Reds and will partner with Ben Tapuai at outside centre.

After an impressive run-on debut Semisi Masirewa starts on the left wing with Luke Morahan commanding the right, while Dane Haylett-Petty rounds out the backline.

Coming off the bench, Nathan Charles, Steve Mafi and Angus Cottrell will look to provide an impact alongside Alby Mathewson, Peter Grant and Marcel Brache.

2016 Asteron Life Super Rugby – Week Three
    Western Force vs ACT Brumbies
    ‘Force Field’ (nib Stadium), Perth
    Friday, 11 March 2016
    Kick-off: 7:05PM AWST

1. Pekahou Cowan
    2. Heath Tessmann
    3. Jermaine Ainsley
    4. Ross Haylett-Petty
    5. Adam Coleman
    6. Brynard Stander
    7. Matt Hodgson
    8. Ben McCalman
    9. Ian Prior
    10. Jono Lance
    11. Semisi Masirewa
    12. Solomoni (Junior Rasolea)
    13. Ben Tapuai
    14. Luke Morahan
    15. Dane Haylett-Petty

Reserves
    16. Nathan Charles
    17. Chris Heiberg
    18. Guy Millar
    19. Sitiveni (Stevie) Mafi
    20. Angus Cottrell
    21. Alby Mathewson
    22. Peter Grant
    23. Marcel Brache

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    all the best Jermaine

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    I like it.

With Mafi's stats over the last few weeks he may be better as an impact player.

There may be some concern that Benny Mac will not make the full 80, so good the have Gus in reserve.

Prior and Tessmann were sharp when they came on so deserve a start.

We'll still probably get towelled by full-time but if our breakdown work and set piece are competitive, as they will be, we might at least give the Ponies a fright at some stage in the game.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Why does the headline not say

" Battle of the Top Two on the Aussie Table!"

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Veteran
    vCash
    I have always been a fan of tessman - a real work horse, and i have been saying for a little bit that he deserves a start over cheese. This is his chance to cement his spot and really take it to 'em.

I really am quite happy with the team -

Mafi to add impact off the bench, i don't believe that lock is his position, it really destroys his legs and gives no impact. And congrats to ross for his first start, i just hope he doesn't try to charge down a penalty again.

Prior definitely deserving of a start after his crisp service, and Alby slow service.

Lance has definitely performed above expectations

Give ole Millar a rest after his beating, Jermaine cannot be worse Best of luck big fella!

Big Dog has to start - i have no problems with Gus being dropped for him.

Mesiwera will have to have a big night to contend with the brumbies back three

Morahan really needs to put in for defense, or he will be a turnstile...

DHP - no worries with him there

Force get a bonus point.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Considering how good the Brumbies have been this season, I'd be happy with a bonus point.

The last time I said that was round 13 last year when the unstoppable Waratahs came to town. Just saying

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Player
    vCash
    Derby games don't usually turn into blowouts so id say the Brumbies to win but not by a huge margin. I'd say the Force will keep close for 60-70 minutes.

Champion
    vCash
    Foley rolls out a deliberate approach
    Nick Taylor

Western Force coach Michael Foley says he is not shuffling deckchairs with player rotation in a bid to snap a four-game losing streak against the Brumbies in tonight’s Super Rugby clash at nib Stadium.
    A revamp of player rotations for 2016 started following last year’s wooden spoon campaign, specifically for six-day breaks between matches as the Force have for this game.
    Research shows that in Super Rugby last season, 59 per cent of losses were suffered by teams with six-day turnarounds.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...he-deckchairs/

vCash
    Force by 1-12.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Jargs I'm with you I've got a quiet little confidence that we can do this. Upset of the season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Force by 1-12.
    Me too. Still watching the Mungos @ Crown and the Warriors are sticking with the Bronx. Upset day !

Roger Tuivasa-Turnstile.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Roger Tuivasa-Turnstile.
    Deadset gold

vCash
    This ref is shit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    This ref is shit.
    I feel like there are some rule changes no one told us about... Like shoulder charges are allowed, MMA is incorporated into the game, the ref can be another player...things like that...

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    I'd have to think that the last 10 minutes of the half was him deciding that whatever he was paid to fix the match wasn't worth that much of his (now non-existent) credibility

C'mon the

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast