Thread: JOC has heart issue on team bus

vCash

JOC has heart issue on team bus

Don't you just love Google Translate?

James O'Connor, International back of the RCT (44 selections), suffered a heart attack on the bus during the trip qu'effectuaient the Var after their victory in Oyonnax (13-44) last Sunday. Immediately rescued by teammate Mamuka Gorgodze, Australian (25 years) was not breathing and that's his Georgian teammate who allegedly tried to revive him before help arrived. O'Connor was then taken to hospital to perform additional tests. He remained hospitalized three days before going out in the day yesterday, and is expected to be sidelined for several weeks.
    The club, that we contacted, declined to speak. By late afternoon, he released a statement confirming the pure facts: "In the interest of the player's health and the precautionary principle, James O'Connor has passed a series of tests and medical examinations environment hospital who have also shown reassuring and satisfying. These examinations are continuing, but have no need to be performed in a hospital. the Toulon Rugby Club and its medical service want to take the time to realize all the necessary examinations before the player resumes the competition but following his rugby career is in no way called into question. "
    This accident has strongly marked the Var group who first thought of a seizure before the Australian does not show any sign of breathing. Reportedly, O'Connor would have taken four tablets of a muscle relaxant (Tramadol) after the game before drinking one or more beers on the bus.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Comment:
    Tramadol is a pretty strong opioid painkiller, and combined with dehydration and alcohol could cause respiratory depression to a degree, which is probably more likely.
    Heart attack is a poor, generic term that really doesn't tell us anything. It gets used to cover all sorts - infarcts, cardiac arrest, arrhythmias.
    He'd be unlikely to suffer an ischaemic event (myocardial infarct from coronary artery disease) at his age and level of fitness. That said, in those with a strong genetic history of coronary artery disease, apparently fit and sometimes quite young men do sometimes have just that.
    A cardiac arrest (i.e. heart stops beating properly or at all) may occur, and in the situation of the other things mentioned above including fatigue, dehydration, medication and alcohol could happen secondary to respiratory depression, or from an arrhythmia, which could happen in young fit blokes.

In any event, it sounds like he's OK, which is the main thing. Scary for him, and his team-mates to witness.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    James had a hypoglycemic episode on the bus according to the ABC this morning. Toulon says he is out of danger and ok to continue playing after the rest. Hope that's true.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    James had a hypoglycemic episode on the bus according to the ABC this morning. Toulon says he is out of danger and ok to continue playing after the rest. Hope that's true.
    And that was coupled with extreme fatigue after playing a game. Thought all those energy drinks and supplements were loaded with sugars and 'electrolytes' meant to stop that stuff from happening.

vCash
    Tramadol is good stuff

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    Don't you just love Google Translate?
    Reportedly, O'Connor would have taken four tablets of a muscle relaxant (Tramadol) after the game before drinking one or more beers on the bus.[/I][/FONT][/COLOR]
    Just reading my bottle "Do not drink alcohol. Dangerous side effects or death can occur when alcohol is combined with tramadol. Check your food and medicine labels to be sure these products do not contain alcohol."

Last edited by Ralto; 27-02-16 at 10:38. Reason: fact checked

Champion
    vCash
    Too much Red Bull or similar probably

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Ugh, tramadol is the worst. Gives you the worst hang over with out the alcohol

"Believe in the best, think your best, study your best, have a goal for your best, never be satisfied with less than your best, try your best, and in the long run things will turn out for the best."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Tramadol is good stuff
    I am usually chasing space ships after 1 tablet, 4 and I would in the outer universe

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Elf1 View Post
    I am usually chasing space ships after 1 tablet, 4 and I would in the outer universe
    Jesus!... I'm usually throwing up stomach bile after a couple :o

"Believe in the best, think your best, study your best, have a goal for your best, never be satisfied with less than your best, try your best, and in the long run things will turn out for the best."

vCash
    After fracturing a rib I took one, fell asleep for 15 minutes and forgetting I had dosed up took another.

I had to consciously concentrate on breathing

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Tramadol is good stuff
    Doesn't hold a candle to diazepam...

Senior Player
    vCash
    JESUS! And here i am feeling shitty for taking a couple of nurofen for a toothache!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by G_Beard View Post
    Doesn't hold a candle to diazepam...
    One 5mg tab of each guarantees a perfect night's sleep!
    (Or days, it really doesn't matter)