Thread: The Daily Telegraph (Sydney Newpaper) 2016 Prediction for the Western Force

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

The Daily Telegraph (Sydney Newpaper) 2016 Prediction for the Western Force

Cut and pasted from here

WESTERN FORCE

Coach: Michael Foley

Captain: Matt Hodgson

Major Ins: Peter Grant, Ben Tapuai, Jono Lance

Major Outs: Sam Wykes, Sias Ebersohn, Nick Cummins, Zack Holmes, Wilhelm Steenkamp

Key forward: Ben McCalman. The No. 8 virtually carried the Force on his back last year, but 2016 will be a far different proposition for the Wallaby, coming off a season in Japan’s Top League. McCalman will not have had any break since the start of last season and fatigue will be a factor, but without his go-forward the Force won’t win games.

Key Back: Peter Grant. A new season, a new five-eighth, and this time it is South African Grant who will steer the Force around. The Perth outfit has not had a five-eighth of international calibre since Matt Giteau in 2009. Grant needs to conjure some magic.

X-Factor: Kyle Godwin. The powerful, skilful centre has been on the cusp of Wallabies selection for a couple of years now but injuries and the Force’s lack of success have worked against him. He is the one man who can spark their attack.

Strengths: Set-piece and forward play. The Force are always competitive in the tight stuff. They work hard at the breakdown and are rarely dominated at scrum time, although a lack of depth in the second row is a worry.

Weakness: Attack and coaching. The Force scored the least amount of tries last year and finished last because they simply could not manufacture tries. Coach Michael Foley has a poor record and struggles with attack in particular. When he was in charge of NSW their attack was woeful, and that trend has continued in Perth.

Prediction: The Force are not going to make the finals, and in fact they should be happy if they can stay off the bottom of the ladder. With the Sunwolves and Kings entering the fray their task has become easier. Realistically, they can consider 2016 a success if they’re not one of the bottom four teams in the competition.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Ahh yes. The telegraph - who orchestrated foles' removal as tahs coach. They're never going to give him the benefit of the doubt.
    I'll still wait until round 4

vCash
    Let me guess - they are predicting that the Tahs will win the Aus conference and make the grand final, right?!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Let me guess - they are predicting that the Tahs will win the Aus conference and make the grand final, right?!
    Nope. Brumbies for the Final - Tahs to drop out in the Semis.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    On known form and recent history why would they be inaccurate? They don't predict on hope and RWA spin.
    I certainly hope they get it dead wrong, but that's for revealing after this weekend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    On known form and recent history why would they be inaccurate? They don't predict on hope and RWA spin.
    I certainly hope they get it dead wrong, but that's for revealing after this weekend.
    They're not.

But it's not nice that they said it

Last edited by jargan83; 23-02-16 at 11:07.

Veteran
    vCash
    yeah - can't claim that McCalman carried them - definitely right up there.

and they are unfortunately correct in what they said about foles - distinct lack of attacking evidence. unfortunately the whole bit was a written in a depressing and negative tone.

top of the bottom would be succesful for me, assuming they are developing their attack, to build up for next seasonl.

vCash
    Hard to argue about much of waht they said, but the facts don't need to be delivered so negatively.

McCalman only carried them on his back when Gus and Hodgeo weren't available. Grant, Godwin, Tapuai, Morahan and DHP are an experienced squadron of backs, all of whom have plenty of attacking nouse and some international experience thrown in, they have the potential to do OK, the only problem is the fragile WF collective mind.

Can't argue with the comments about Foley and Attack, 2014 was built upon defense and 2015 was built on a foundation of feathers and horseshit.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post

Can't argue with the comments about Foley and Attack
    I'm still giving him the benefit. With the cattle he had, the game plan of 2014 worked OK. Almost made the play offs. But that would have been it.

Big step back last year.

See what happens this time with the addition of some genuine play makers and a bit of real gas. But I'm not optimistic of early season wins with the injuries in the engine room. Very vulnerable at scrum time, I'm afraid.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post

Strengths: Set-piece and forward play. The Force are always competitive in the tight stuff. They work hard at the breakdown and are rarely dominated at scrum time, although a lack of depth in the second row is a worry.
    Maybe I missed it but set-pieces were as woeful as our attack.

vCash
    Our scrum hasn't looked too hot in the two practice matches let's hope for an improvement on Saturday evening!

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    I don't think the Rebels scrum will be the biggest test of the season, if we can't handle them, we've got some real rogerings in store for us.

I'd be more concerned about the lineout, even with their losses, they have had that aspect of set piece play well sorted out for a while!

Hopefully Mafi and Coleman have been working of their calling, since I think that was the biggest issue last year, Wykesy pretty much got a gig because Sharpie taught him to call the lineout.

C'mon the