Thread: David Pocock looking to leave Australian rugby in 2017 to pursue education in England

Legend Contributor
    vCash

David Pocock looking to leave Australian rugby in 2017 to pursue education in England

Australian rugby could be without one of its biggest names for 12 months, with Wallabies back rower David Pocock reportedly considering taking a sabbatical from the game to study.
    While Pocock is locked into an Australian Rugby Union (ARU) contract until the end of 2016, the 27-year-old is weighing up a move to England in 2017 to pursue post-football endeavours.
    Australia's best player at the 2015 World Cup, Pocock is currently in discussions with Brumbies coach Stephen Larkham and chief executive Michael Jones, while Wallabies coach Michael Cheika has also been in Canberra to discuss the star player's future.
    While it is understood the ARU would reluctantly allow Pocock to travel overseas and attend Oxford or Cambridge University for a year, the Brumbies are not as welcoming to the idea.
    "It creates all sorts of problems if Poey takes a break," Jones told News Corp.
    "My preferred solution, and our offer to him, doesn't allow a break."
    But such an offer from the ARU would still give him two full Super Rugby seasons to prepare for the 2019 World Cup in Japan.
    Pocock has also been pursued by cashed-up Japanese and French clubs, while he is also being touted as a possible replacement for Liam Gill at the Queensland Reds with the flanker heading to Toulon at the end of the year.
    Pocock is currently studying a Bachelor of Ecological Agricultural Systems, but he has not confirmed if that is the degree he would continue in full-time study.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-1...eports/7154534

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Champion
    vCash
    Old Story , the bigger yarn is where his mate who he is doing a Land Rover ad with today is going!

But , with Hodgo on the way out , his missus may want to come home in 2018

vCash
    I can see Poey doing amazing things post rugby. And I can see his wife pursuing a political career. Both will be great at whatever they do.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    While most people will see the loss of David Pollock for a couple of years to be a death knell for Aussie rugby, I don't think it needs to be. He was by far and away the best player in the wallabies, sure, but the issue wasn't a lack of cattle, it was ignorance of the breakdown and lack of pressure on the ball in the ruck. I believe that mindset has changed and we won't return to the bad old days. Yes, we will be worse off, but we won't be beatable by Scotland!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the