Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Perth Spirt and NRC 2016

Rookie
    vCash
    Here is my third version of attempting to pick the Perth Spirit squad. I have tried to maximize contracted players who are going to remain in Perth and use the Future Force to the maximum. This is to save costs on paying non contracted players. I believe some hints were given with the Force 10’s team where Pindan Premiership players were chosen.

I will also try to justify my selections. Hopefully the smart men of the ARU HP Unit read this to influence the Perth outstation.

I maybe wrong on the choices as I have limited chances to watch club rugby. Please set me straight and throw out better alternatives so WA rugby can prosper in the long term.

Version III

Hookers - Harry Scoble, Anaru Rangi, Conan Houkamau, Hemi Ford/Tom Sheminant (0)

I have selected local Future Force Academy, Pindan premiership and Force Under 20 players and so there was no room for Super contracted or EPS players to be chosen. Tom Sexton, EPS if he is plying Cottesloe Reserve Grade I don’t think he is the Hooker to take us to the promised land according to the Pulver Bible.

Nathan Charles currently injured and possibly looking for an overseas club so we will pass on him. Heath Tessman last year on contract now missing from Force. If the Western Force re-sign him then there is probably a change of heart.

Props - Pekahou Cowan, Francois Van Wyk, LHP TBA and Tetra Faulkner, Jermaine Ainsley, Mees Erasmus, Shembeckler Vui (3)

Looking for only three fully contracted Prop’s only. Hoping Jermaine Ainsley is excluded from three Super Rugby /EPS contracted players as he signed as injury cover for 2016. Ollie Hoskin and Guy Millar have signed overseas so not required for Perth. Ollie can have a taste of Sydney NRC prior to UK season.

Chris Heiberg was unlucky to be forced out but hoping no other NRC team pick him up and could be a bonus for the Spirit. Pek Cowan as a 10 year veteran is one of the faces of Force and coming back from his broken arm. Possibly one of Mees or Shem could be tried as a LHP. I had TBA LHP but we are looking for a gnarly old mature prop to replace Joe Savage from recent years if not a bright young thing.

Locks - Adam Coleman, Richie Arnold, Riley Winter, Rickus Van Der Heyden (1)

We are a bit light on for experience in the Locking position. The early notice of the contract situation for Rory Walton who is at this standard but heading overseas and therefore had to be ruled out. Steve Mafi notice of moving on and as a marquee player who is not eligible for Wallaby colours will not be required to wait around. Adrian Hall has moved to Manly and Corey Thomas in Brisbane in 2015 and the disappearance of great white hope Oscar Backhouse. As the classics say ‘hope is not a plan’ it is hoped that Richie Arnold has recovered from injury. Back up plan would be Kieran Stringer or a couple of flankers below. The choice of Rickus Van Der Heyden was chosen on the basis of being selected for the World 10’s. Potentially if the Force contract a Lock locally or willing to start straight away then they could start with the Spirit. We could quote 2015 Anae and Toua rule where these players did not count as Super contracted players.

Backrow - Ross Haylett-Petty, Angus Cottrell, Kane Koteka, Dylan Pieterse, Richard Hardwick, Auega Seumanatafu, TBA, Tevin Ferris and Matt Hodgson - 4

This is one of the strengths of the Force and Future Force it is hard here. I have included Matt Hodgson even though he is injured and not sure of return timeframe and he is included as he is the other face of the Force, the 10 year veteran. Possibly, act as an assistant coach if still injured. Means I could not consider Bryard Stander or Chris Alcock. At least Stander meets the residency for wallabies now and is not classified as an import. Whilst, Alcock played for the Rays in NRC 2015. With Pierre Roberts not sighted since Round 2 and Alex Rovira not sighted the Backrow looks well balanced

Halves - Ian Prior, Angus Taylor, Michael Ruru (1) and Jono Lance, AJ Alatimu, Nuade Wessels (1)

So the choice was of one each a Force player, a Future Force and a Pindan Premiership player. This is unfortunate for the local boy in Ryan Louwrens. Maybe he won’t be wanted be any other NRC side. We roll the dice. Looking to build the combination of Prior and Lance for the Force. Another unlucky player is Justin Turner.

Centres - Kyle Godwin, Davis Tavita, Ammon Matuauto, Eric Vasukicacau, Maalonga Konelio (2)

The rehabilitation of Kyle Godwin’s reputation which has taken a beating with injuries and moving about the backline but the Wallaby coach bought him across as a fill in player at camp also this is subject to Kyle not signing anywhere else prior to NRC then Ben Tapuai is next man up. Eric Vasukicacau was chosen on the basis of being selected for the World 10’s and all the other franchises are in a rush to sign Fijian centres from their local competition.

Back 3 - Luke Burton, Jarome Leonard-Tekanawa, Onehunga Havili, Semisi Masirewa, Brad Lacey, Faamanatu Apineru, James Verity-Amm (3)

I am unsure on the timeframe for when Luke Burton is returning from injury and whether his best position is 10 or 15. If he is unable to play Marcel Brache could be swapped in. Albert Nikoro was originally in this squad but his recent test appearance for Samoa changes his status moving forward.

Semisi Masirewa is chosen partly on his residency status so that no mishaps occurs similar to Henry Speight where the IRB/World Rugby were obstinate on his Australian availability or potentially Permanent Residency. Jarome Leonard-Tekanawa was chosen on the basis of being selected for the World 10’s. Onehunga Havili one word unleash.

Wallabies not included but may count for contracted Super players Ben McCalman, Luke Morahan, Dane Haylett-Petty

Released for other franchises (Sydney 3) - Tom Sexton, Nathan Charles, Heath Tessman, Chris Heiberg, Ollie Hoskin, Chris Alcock, Rory Walton, Bryard Stander, Ryan Louwrens, Junior Rasolea, Ben Tapuai, Marcel Brache. (12)

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Emu; 13-06-16 at 07:06.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Like your work. Only one or two things I'd change- like Louwrens in and Hodgson to rest. Really hoping Coleman tours with the Wallabies so RHP to second row.

Is Haydn Anderson about? I thought he was in NZ.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    I'd say RHP would be a lock rather than a back-row; that's where the Force have mainly used him this season, and he developed a good partnership with Coleman. That would free-up another back-row position for Stander.

Sexton, Alcock and Tapuai have all played for other NRC sides before, although Alcock did play for the Spirit last year; my preference is not to chop and change players between teams too much. If a player has changed Super Rugby franchise, but his previous NRC team requests he remain on their books, I think the player should return to that team. The Spirit aren't the Force B team, and we shouldn't be able to ring-fence all our players; although Melbourne has shown that there are considerable advantages if you keep combinations together.

What's more important for their development is that fringe players play rugby, so if we choose Prior and Lance as our 9 & 10, Louwrens should be released to a team where he'll get game-time. Similarly, with our back-row we have enough depth even after you remove McCalman & Hodgson to allow Force players to play for other sides.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    I'd say RHP would be a lock rather than a back-row; that's where the Force have mainly used him this season, and he developed a good partnership with Coleman. That would free-up another back-row position for Stander.

The Spirit aren't the Force B team, and we shouldn't be able to ring-fence all our players; although Melbourne has shown that there are considerable advantages if you keep combinations together.

What's more important for their development is that fringe players play rugby, so if we choose Prior and Lance as our 9 & 10, Louwrens should be released to a team where he'll get game-time. Similarly, with our back-row we have enough depth even after you remove McCalman & Hodgson to allow Force players to play for other sides.
    Thanks for the constructive feedback. These past years for a good Test or Super Rugby Lock has had a height judgement on them as minimum 2 Metres. Brad Thorn being the exception. I see RHP at 197 cm and 110 kg more a Blindside Breakaway in the mould of Scott Fardy who pinch hits in the Second Row and disruptive beast at Rucks and Mauls.

You are right that the Spirit isn't the Force B team but if the rules in place that there can be 14-15 Super players. I would say maximise there use. Melbourne, Canberra and the two Qld NRC do. I want one of the aims is to improve the Force side by being able to keep the players in a professional environment with good coaching longer. It is just that NSW have been slow out the blocks. NSW will probably have one stacked team, a second good team and a mediocre third team this year.

Also hoping that Prior and Lance build the chemistry together

Champion
    vCash
    Hayden Anderson is in the Chiefs wider training squad currently.

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahard View Post
    Hayden Anderson is in the Chiefs wider training squad currently.
    With Anderson gone is there a player from the local competition ready to step up or one of the Force Under 20 players for the back row.

Champion
    vCash
    Russell Burgess - Kalamunda
    Lukas Birch - Joondalup
    Sosifa Likio - Rockingham
    Evan Stafford - Palmyra
    Blake Phillips - Wanneroo

Champion
    vCash
    Why did you name Rocky as Sosifa Likio's club,the kid doesn't play rugby for any club and hasn't done so for a few seasons,he just rocks up when there's a game to be had for rep team such as Force 20's.
    Slap in the face for all those that are genuine rugby boy's.
    He ain't even that good,bit soft in my opinion but has obviously been given misinformation about his own ability and with that comes a overinflated ego.
    If you don't play for a club you shouldn't be selected for any fucking thing.

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Champion
    vCash
    I got his "club" from the Force U/20s articles. Dont know the guy so thanks for your assessment.

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    Why did you name Rocky as Sosifa Likio's club,the kid doesn't play rugby for any club and hasn't done so for a few seasons,he just rocks up when there's a game to be had for rep team such as Force 20's.
    He ain't even that good,bit soft in my opinion but has obviously been given misinformation about his own ability and with that comes a overinflated ego.
    Turns out he plays for UWA in Under 20 Colts in Round 9 and 10 and was a substitute for Reserve Grade in Round 9 against Wests

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    Turns out he plays for UWA in Under 20 Colts in Round 9 and 10 and was a substitute for Reserve Grade in Round 9 against Wests

Champion
    vCash
    Must be a rep game coming up.Ah that's right the State Schoolboys were named on Wednesday and he is in it,as I said if he's not committed then give the spot to someone who is,makes a joke of the whole system.

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Champion
    vCash
    The Spirit will play the NSW Country Eagles at Endeavour Oval in Orange on Saturday the 24th of September

Should be a BIG day

http://orangeemus.com

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    not for me,I will be attending a wedding in Canada(not mine!)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    not for me,I will be attending a wedding in Canada(not mine!)
    Where does this fit into the year of golf?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast