Thread: Reds after Goromaru

vCash

Reds after Goromaru

One of the stars of Japan's World Cup campaign, full-back Ayumu Goromaru could be headed to Super Rugby with the Reds.

The 29-year-old became the face of the Japanese success thanks to his goal-kicking as well as a try in Japan's historic win over South Africa on the opening weekend of the World Cup.

He continued his exploits during wins of Samoa and the USA, and Kyodo News are reporting that the Reds are keen to sign him from current club Yamaha Jubilo and have made a bid for his services.

"He is a member of our company (Yamaha Motor Co.) and we will consider the offer in light of our procedure," said Yamaha official Masanori Suzuki at the conference.

If Goromaru does sign for the Reds, who have lost Quade Cooper and James O'Connor over the offseason, it would be a big blow to new Japanese franchise the Sunwolves, who will join Super Rugby this season.

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/reds-after-goromaru/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    This is bullshit, he should be staying in Japan, even if he was coming here I would still not like the idea, keep the Japanese in Japan for while, at least for a few seasons. $$ should not come into it and the Reds should be harnessing the talent they already have in spades. Isn't one of their NRC teams playing in a final this weekend??

Someone let the poor guy know about his potential Coach

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    SunWolves would be nuts to miss out on this guy. But I'm starting to wonder if the SunWolves are actually a Toshiba/Suntory joint venture, so maybe players from other clubs are free to go as they wish?

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    This is bullshit, he should be staying in Japan, even if he was coming here I would still not like the idea, keep the Japanese in Japan for while, at least for a few seasons.
    I think the horse has already bolted on that one - see Tanaka, Leitch, Matsushima, etc. Double-edged sword - gets more players in Super Rugby, which is good for their national team but weakens their franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    But I'm starting to wonder if the SunWolves are actually a Toshiba/Suntory joint venture, so maybe players from other clubs are free to go as they wish?
    Chibi you are reading WAY too much into things - Hendrik Tui and Michael Leitch play for Suntory and Toshiba respectively and have both turned down contracts with the SunWolves to stay with the Reds and Chiefs next season.

vCash
    I think, given the way the Aries played this World Cup, we'd be better to take some front line talent out of the Argentina team. Their Super Rugby side will be littered with players from their national side, which is on the verge of matching the Wallabies and probably matches the Springboks evenly right now.

Given that those teams are made up of the best players from 5 teams, I would expect that the Aries need to be taken down a peg just to keep the competition interesting. Maybe SANZAR should write a rule which could be applied to them (and the Tahs)

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I think, given the way the Aries played this World Cup, we'd be better to take some front line talent out of the Argentina team. Their Super Rugby side will be littered with players from their national side, which is on the verge of matching the Wallabies and probably matches the Springboks evenly right now.

Given that those teams are made up of the best players from 5 teams, I would expect that the Aries need to be taken down a peg just to keep the competition interesting. Maybe SANZAR should write a rule which could be applied to them (and the Tahs)
    They'll have at least 8 World Cup players based in Europe next year so that will dilute it a little bit. But yeah I wouldn't like to see full-strength national teams running around in the competition.

That said is anyone sure what the foreign allowances in Australia/NZ/SA are anymore?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    They'll have at least 8 World Cup players based in Europe next year
    I heard something about them not selecting anybody who played outside SANZAR mentioned somewhere. Does anybody have more detail or is that some hack journo spouting shit with no foundation?

Wouldn't be the first time

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I heard something about them not selecting anybody who played outside SANZAR mentioned somewhere. Does anybody have more detail or is that some hack journo spouting shit with no foundation?

Wouldn't be the first time
    Looks like you're right actually.

vCash
    Oh Japan...

Name:  tope_league_godzilla.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  128.6 KB