Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: JOC leaves the Reds

vCash
    Marto got one thing right...a terrible waste of talent to Australian rugby....JOC isn't wasting his talent though. Instead of wasting a year playing in a losing organisation with an epic dribbler as a coach he's off to play in the best rugby competition in the world to earn big coin and have a great life at the same time. That's clever. Id swap with him today. Richard Graham is the biggest problem at the Reds.
    Marto just aint too clever. He shouldn't be using his media career to trash JOC in a public forum.
    JOC is a young man struggling to deal with the Australian tall poppy syndrome. He made some poor decisions as a young man.....who didn't. He came back to have a crack at the wallabies. Good on him for having a go. He's leaving because Australia hates him. That's very sad. Half the Australian twenty somethings are in Europe because it is a load of fun. French rugby wants him. No franchise in Australia does.
    Marto wasn't the best we've had. In fact he was pretty ordinary. It would be more gracious to be a little more positive towards current players considering his own shortcomings as a player....who does Marto think he is?
    JOC wants to be away from the gaze of a rugby community that is sweating on every mistake he makes on and off the field hoping to see him fail.
    Hopefully James will learn to consider other people and to keep his ego in check. When kids are put on a pedestal straight out of school it isn't entirely their fault.
    The wallabies are responding positively to great leadership. Marto and the Reds would do well to look at getting their own house in order.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Rex Messup; 15-10-15 at 06:28.
    Controversy corner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Still; about time he realised that and became his own man.
    Maybe he's doing that by getting away from his family by going to France?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    There's a lot I agree with in that rant.

Graham is a dickhead...I get that
    Martin is a fuckwit of the highest order....agreed
    The Wallabies are doing well under Cheika, yes, I have to admit, I'm a convert.

JOC was hated in Australia? Incorrect, he was playing for the organisation which has the greatest number of media commentators blowing the most amount of smoke up the least deserving arses. As far as JOC is aware (because he appears not to be smart enough to look beyond his own press releases) he was adored by one and all, because Jim Carmichael and his cronies stage managed it.

Make no mistake, JOC Went to France because he can't understand why he didn't walk into the Wallabies, since he's the best rugby player the world has ever seen

C'mon the

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eleypinkbit View Post
    A lot of what he did at the Force was due to the support he had in WA. The players had a family who looked after them, he lost that support and his way when he left WA
    I dont know if you listened to the interview, but he bashed the force in it too... said that we were the bad influence on him!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Messup View Post
    JOC wants to be away from the gaze of a rugby community that is sweating on every mistake he makes on and off the field hoping to see him fail.
    It is actually quite hard to get into the press for the wrong reasons when you aren't doing anything wrong!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Messup View Post
    Marto got one thing right...a terrible waste of talent to Australian rugby....JOC isn't wasting his talent though. Instead of wasting a year playing in a losing organisation with an epic dribbler as a coach he's off to play in the best rugby competition in the world to earn big coin and have a great life at the same time. That's clever. Id swap with him today. Richard Graham is the biggest problem at the Reds.
    Marto just aint too clever. He shouldn't be using his media career to trash JOC in a public forum.
    JOC is a young man struggling to deal with the Australian tall poppy syndrome. He made some poor decisions as a young man.....who didn't. He came back to have a crack at the wallabies. Good on him for having a go. He's leaving because Australia hates him. That's very sad. Half the Australian twenty somethings are in Europe because it is a load of fun. French rugby wants him. No franchise in Australia does.
    Marto wasn't the best we've had. In fact he was pretty ordinary. It would be more gracious to be a little more positive towards current players considering his own shortcomings as a player....who does Marto think he is?
    Hopefully James will learn to consider other people and to keep his ego in check. When kids are put on a pedestal straight out of school it isn't entirely their fault.
    The wallabies are responding positively to great leadership. Marto and the Reds would do well to look at getting their own house in order.
    have you got a new job as a spin doctor?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    J'OC's reply to Martin

A lot of things ran through my mind when contemplating releasing this to the public eye. The first thoughts that came were of the reception that I would receive and whether these comments would be seen as taking away from the extraordinary world cup performances of the Wallabies. I would like to make it clear to all who read this that the intention behind this letter is not to detract, but to support and finally set a precedent where it is not alright for former players and game commentators to incessantly deride current players for the on and off field mistakes.

I would like to acknowledge a video that I made that may have been a catalyst for Greg Martin’s stinging remarks. I made this video in response to what I felt was unfair commentary toward the Wallaby team and their current world cup campaign. I would also like to make it clear that the video was made with light hearted intentions with the serious message that Greg Martin needed to support, and not put down the players giving their all on the field. How is ridiculing the players’ going to help us bring home the cup? Isn’t that what we all want?

I have learned to accept that criticism is part of the game. It’s something that I have learned to accept and deal with, without it affecting the way I perform. I have chosen over my career to not give credence to such criticisms however it has evolved into something that is not only a personal attack but is detrimental to the game itself, and under these circumstances I feel like my voice needs to be heard.

Greg’s words no longer pertain to just myself, and my reasons for responding is not just to protect my image but the well being of players that have yet to experience the insults and degradation from people like Greg.

Greg did not say these comments while I was present, he offered me no chance to respond and frankly from the position I stand he does not care. He has no interest in the truth; he has no interest in finding the real story. Greg’s interest is his own opinion and making his own headlines, with no consideration to whom he drags through the mud.

In this statement, I will not insult Greg, I will not ridicule or abuse him, but I will seek to destroy the rationale and ignorance that forms the basis of his arguments.

Greg Martin cited a correlation between the current performance of the Australian side, and the fact that I was no longer in it. There can be no other interpretation than to say that I, singularly, am responsible for perceived poor performance and attitude among an entire squad of no less than thirty individuals and an extensive coaching and support team. I do not need to remind any Australian rugby supporter of the controversy late last year, and the resulting instatement of Michael Cheika as Wallaby coach. I feel Greg would be surprised to hear that I was not involved in this; in fact I was halfway around the world on another continent.

I am the first to recognise that my previous behaviour was not one of an upstanding individual, but like all people I wish to learn from my mistakes and look to improve upon myself. Greg’s comment on “everyone else growing up, except for James O’Connor” implies that I have no recognition of the consequences of my previous actions. I find it ironic that the man accusing me of being immature then preceded to call me an ‘immature twat’, and ‘a little punk’ on live radio. A childish insult at best, from a 50 year old father.

Some may argue that Greg gave compromise in stating that he previously offered me support, as well as the Red’s team. However these are nothing more than thinly veiled attempts to conceal the true message he wished to convey. Everything that was said was a stepping stone for him to base a whole personal attack on assumptions, citing irrelevant examples such as my supposed lack of guidance in Perth. Despite being under the tutelage of one of the great former All Black coaches in John Mitchell, as well as former Wallaby captains Nathan Sharpe, David Pocock and Matt Giteau.

The fact is, something is not right in our media for someone in a powerful and influential position toward the public and rugby union fans to walk around continuously making outlandish comments and is not being held accountable for them.

Greg then went on to question the legitimacy of my contractual release from the Red’s due to my own personal issues. A recent headline that sticks out for me is the much-publicised story of another prominent athletes’ own personal issues. However, the key difference in this, was that this person received support from not only his peers but also Australian media and was used as a tool to highlight the importance of recognition of mental illness. I do not need to answer the speculation of a man that obviously has little empathy toward fellow athletes. Instead of support, Greg felt it necessary to question my character when for all he knows; my mental state could be extremely unstable. Surely there is a duty of care for a man in his position with the power to produce media for mass-consumption. The fact is the man is trivialising mental health issues by making such comments when he knows nothing about the circumstances surrounding my release.

Greg likes to talk about the sacredness and brotherhood behind playing for the Wallabies. However he does not hesitate to insult those exact players that pull on that jersey. After playing just over a handful of caps, he’s pulled on the Wallaby jersey enough times to know how devastating it could be to have fellow countrymen alienate you in the media. I can recall numerous times where Greg Martin has emphasised the importance of supporting the team while simultaneously stating things that are in direct conflict with what comes out of his mouth. You will never hear Ray Warren attack a player. Look at how Brad Fitler and Gorden Tallis spoke nothing but praise and admiration for their former constituents during State of Origin. Compare that to Greg’s commentating of the Australia vs Uruguay world cup game, and what will be found is numerous comments deriding the efforts of players giving their all for their country.

I have tremendous respect for Australian rugby. One thing I can say without a doubt is that I have never taken for granted the opportunity and nor have I ever left the field thinking I could have done more for the gold jersey. Like every person that is afforded the opportunity to represent his country, it is a dream come true and will always remain that way.

This year, there were no headlines regarding my so-called off field antics, yet Greg does not hesitate to say I have not matured. While my season with the Red’s was not as favourable as I would have expected for myself or my team, I did not come back to Australia expecting a warm reception, or a gauntlet welcoming me back to test rugby. I knew full well the mountain I had to climb to get back into the squad, and regardless of my form and injuries it was a huge disappointment to not be included. At no point though, was there an expectation of my inclusion as Greg implied.

This issue, I believe, goes beyond me. While I have gone to great lengths to address what Greg has said about me, the reasons for me doing this is to emphasise that these comments are unacceptable. I write these words so that other athletes, future or current do not have to be on the receiving end of tormenting comments that they have absolutely no hope of clarifying. It doesn’t take a genius to realise the potential dangers of such blatant character assassination. Greg Martin has become a media lackey, willing to say whatever is put in front of him without contemplating the rippling effects it may have on those he is commenting on. There is a narrative today that builds athletes to astronomical proportions, leading them to be idolised and adored, to then be torn down by those exact people that helped build them up. Some would see what Greg has done as bullying, plain and simple.

With so much emphasis today on the importance of choosing words wisely, and showing tact and respect to others I sincerely hope that my words will open the Australian publics’ eyes, and maybe even Greg Martins’. At the end of the day, while being somebody in the spotlight, I am a person. I may not talk the way you want me to, carry myself in such a way that is agreeable to some, but in what world does that give someone the right to destroy someone’s integrity in a public forum.

I wish the boys well in their quarter-final clash against Scotland. Lets get behind them!

Regards James O’Connor
    source: https://www.facebook.com/jamesoconno...52781221417859

vCash
    I've gotta say, having seen numerous interviews with James, spoken to m over the fence after matches and following a fair amount of his social media posts I'm not confident that James wrote that response himself.

It does hit the Greg Martin is a twat nail pretty squarely on the head though. Btw, take the line about not insulting, ridiculing or abusing Greg with a grain of salt, the insult and ridicule is just disguised in a veil of reasoned logic.

C'mon the

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    that O'Connor statement was very well ghost written by Rex!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I've gotta say, having seen numerous interviews with James, spoken to m over the fence after matches and following a fair amount of his social media posts I'm not confident that James wrote that response himself.

It does hit the Greg Martin is a twat nail pretty squarely on the head though. Btw, take the line about not insulting, ridiculing or abusing Greg with a grain of salt, the insult and ridicule is just disguised in a veil of reasoned logic.
    Yeah I'm thinking the same thing. But either way, Martin is gonna lose his mind. I can't wait

vCash
    The article is right, Greg Martin is a tosser of the highest order who thinks people outside Queensland are under the impression that he's an unbiased commentator.

He's ripping shit out of JOC at the moment, because JOC is no longer a red. Did you see him describe Adam Thompson as a great of the modern game? Thompson wasn't even able to consistently make the All Blacks, which means he's not even the best player in his country.......all to spit some vitriol at JOC like a 12 year old in the schoolyard.

C'mon the

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    that O'Connor statement was very well ghost written by Rex!
    Too many apostrophes though.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    have you got a new job as a spin doctor?
    Since the ARU didn't respond to my application to coach the wallabies, I am looking for work. Did you have something for me? Shasta's labor party needs some new material.

I'm happy the ARU went with Cheika though. It's the first time the wallabies have been fit since the 1999 RWC. Makes a difference 'ey?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Controversy corner

vCash
    THE feud between departing Reds star James O’Connor and Greg Martin has taken another ugly turn with the former Wallaby threatening to expose secrets about O’Connor’s life away from football.

The long-running battle between the pair exploded this week after O’Connor exercised a clause in his Queensland Reds contract to walk away from the club with a year still left on his contract because of struggles with “personal matters”.

Martin launched an incredible attack on the 25-year-old the following day, labelling O’Connor a “twat”, “the Justin Bieber of Australian rugby” and a “punk”.

O’Connor also returned serve with an extraordinary 1500-word Facebook post detailing his list of grievances with Martin, which can be seen in full below.

The Facebook message didn’t stop Martin from firing up again today with another incredible attack on O’Connor, who is expected to return to French club Toulon.

Martin warned O’Connor he has plenty of ammunition to fire at the dumped Wallabies star if their sparring battle continues.

“James I warn you, when you get these words, I know where a lot of the skeletons are buried, mate,” Martin told Triple M Brisbane’s Marto & Ed Kavalee for Breakfast.

“I know what’s going on the world and I know what you’ve done and we could tell a lot more so let’s finish this right here and right now, mate.

“I have no animosity towards James O’Connor I just fired back after he had a crack at me on Twitter.

“It wasn’t about any personal issues. I’m sorry if you’ve got your personal issues. Don’t forget I know a lot more about what goes on in Brisbane and what you’ve been up to this year that hasn’t hit the [news].

“If you want to keep on going James let’s keep on bubbling along. I tell you what, James O’Connor, mate, give us a ring any time 133353 and then I’ll give you my mobile number and we can have a chat.”

Martin said his greatest complaint about O’Connor is his decision to leave the Reds when he was a required player to help the team re-build after a horror 2015 season.

“The Reds were the only mob that accepted James O’Connor back into Australia and now what’s he done, he’s gone ‘Oh I didn’t make the Wallabies, oh my leg I have to get an operation’.

“Are you going to fight and hang around and fight while the Reds rebuild or are you going to bugger off? That’s where I had an issue.”

Martin also re-iterated his claim that O’Connor’s attitude is the reason he wasn’t selected in the Wallabies Rugby World Cup side.

“This weekend is about the Wallabies, as they’re travelling along in their wonderful new place where everyone buys into the team culture and everyone is part of it and, hey, look at that, there’s Kurtley Beale and there’s Quade (Cooper) and they’re all on and everyone’s buying into the thing and you are the benchmark that they glance back briefly in the rear vision mirror and they go: ‘that’s where we were, thank god we’re not there anymore,’” Martin said.

The Fox Sports rugby analyst was responding to O’Connor’s extraordinary Facebook rant which accused Martin of bullying.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/w...-1227571219956

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    The Fox Sports rugby analyst was responding to O’Connor’s extraordinary Facebook rant which accused Martin of bullying.
    It was hardly an 'extraordinary' rant and Martin is a bully.
    Just because JOC is an arsehole doesn't mean that Martin isn't.
    These things are not mutually exclusive.
    It's possible for two arseholes to be arseholes to each other.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast