Thread: Rugby World Cup suits ditch man-of-the-match

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Rugby World Cup suits ditch man-of-the-match

Rugby World Cup suits ditch man-of-the-match Twitter vote after Joe Launchbury nod in Wallabies romp

Stephen Wilson
    The Daily Telegraph
    October 13, 2015 10:05AM

Call it the Joe Launchbury effect. Or the Bernard Foley fail. After some odd, strange and downright perplexing awards for the man-of-the-match at the Rugby World Cup so far, suitably red-faced organisers have finally conceded a rethink is required.

Alarm bells rang after England’s Launchbury won what even he termed an ‘embarrassing’ award in the 33-13 hammering by Australia — when Bernard Foley had scored 28 points in a near faultless display.

Elsewhere, Uruguay’s Agustin Ormaechea was sent off minutes after being named the contest’s most outstanding individual in his game against Fiji.

The problem centres on a voting system that selects candidates long before the business end of the match has come in to view. And then compounds that flawed system by giving the final say to that ever reliable arbiter of value and worth: Twitter.

In the group stages a shortlist of three players were selected by the tournament’s world feed radio early in the second half, before fans choose their preferred choice on social media.

And so the wisdom of crowds (made up of more Englishmen than Australians) thus handed Launchbury the dubious honour of being recorded as the best player on the pitch as Foley pulled the strings in an epic Wallabies win.

However, there will a new system for the quarter-finals starting this weekend.

“There is a rethink happening because there have been a few challenges,” head of Rugby World Cup Alan Gilpin said with measured understatement and unconvincing management speak (not an abject failure in design and implementation, you understand, just “challenges”).

“Any man-of-the-match scenario where you have a public vote and that public vote takes place at a particular point in the game leads to some anomalies.

“We saw that with the Uruguay player who received a red card shortly after being named man of the match and of course the Launchbury situation.

“We’re looking at that now before the knockout stage and the plan is for the change to be made. We’re adjusting the timing and the way the voting takes place.”

Translation: we made a right mess of it and will rip it up and start again to avoid any more ridiculous stuff ups.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/ru...-1227567096600

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    What's wrong with a panel of 'experts' deciding and announcing it after the final whistle. Why does 'the public' have to be consulted? We can't trust them to vote objectively.

Speaking of which - I got my council election voting forms!

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Thank goodness they are doing away with it. Absolute embarrassment when Launchbury won the award against Australia. Just get the panel of experts to make the call, surly their capable of an impartial assessment.

Now for RugbyWA to do away with their equally stupid "Western Force Man of the Match"

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    What's wrong with a panel of 'experts' deciding and announcing it after the final whistle. Why does 'the public' have to be consulted? We can't trust them to vote objectively.

Speaking of which - I got my council election voting forms!
    not to mention time zone issues with the number of people up and watching live.