Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Green and Gold Rugby help

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RugbyReg View Post
    I would dispute that entirely. Matt (MR GAGR as you call him) is always after new content. What he was probably saying is if YOU want this 'balanced' content then YOU provide.
    Perhaps before you should Dispute something Entirely Reg, You should speak with Matt first. I have, in the past offered my services, directly to Matt, in a limited roll, I guess I wasn't good enough.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    Perhaps before you should Dispute something Entirely Reg, You should speak with Matt first. I have, in the past offered my services, directly to Matt, in a limited roll, I guess I wasn't good enough.
    tell me more, nothing to hide. What was his reason? What did you offer?

Senior Player
    vCash
    Hi folks. Occasional lurker, first time TWF poster.

Hope you'll allow a newbie here to put in two cents.

I've been writing some of the WA team blogs. Went to all the Perth Spirit home games last year and was involved (along with some others) in doing some of the GAGR match reviews.

First thing I will say is that all the preview and review writers there are amateur volunteers. It's good fun trying to provide a bit of coverage for rugby, and in particular WA Rugby, but the (zero) pay is lousy.

Nowadays as only temporary visitor to Perth, this season's games are out of reach for me. So I was one of those in the discussion with Reg about reaching out to TWF to try to keep up some coverage.

Rather than seeing only competition between rugby fans, I also want to see rugby community cooperation. It's a major reason why I'm involved with the game – although there's always still room for team rivalries!

Its interesting that GreenandGoldRugby has come to us for assistance for their WA content.

In years passed to the only time the Western Force was mentioned was when the GAGR Staff writer for the Waratahs, Reds or Brumbies was writing a review and or a preview to one of their easy win matches. Either way we were the whippingboy with zero opportunity for defense.

And should the vocal minority request some balanced reporting either publicly or privately to GAGR himself there has always been very little interest.

Makes me wonder what has changed. A WA based sponsor perhaps?

Or am I just being cynical.
    A bit cynical, but that's okay. To answer the question, part of it is the NRC.

Rugby at the best of times tends to fly under the radar and pops up only occasionally in media stories. As Force supporters, I don't even need to try and tell you guys that. And with the NRC, it's doubly hard to get any coverage.

The NRC competition is run on the smell of an oily rag. Obviously there's a bit of stuff published on Fox Sports but a big share of it is having to being done by amateur bloggers, team press releases, and non-mainstream websites like GAGR and The Roar (who are also stretched thin).

We want this NRC competition to survive and thrive. That's something that has changed.

One of the things that we are looking to change is GAGR's ability to cover the Spirit and Force. And the more parochial and passionate, the better. Where better to look than TWF?

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Just put your hand up in here.

While it's above my paygrade to sign you up, I reckon if you volunteer to write something you'll get a shot.

vCash
    I don't see why GAGR and TWF can't work hand in hand. We are not really in competition with each other. Force fans will always log into TWF and I would think that most of us take a look at GAGR on a regular basis to get another perspective on what's happening in rugby, whether we post or not. I joined both sites back in Dec 2009 and I got the feeling back then that there was some bad feeling between the two probably to do with 'personalities' but FFS that was over 6 years ago. Time to move on.

Perth may be an isolated city but there is no need to have isolated mind-sets. I sometimes find it cringeworthy when some posters on here put on their tin-foil hats and bemoan 'their all against us'.

Here's a fact - no-one (including us) are going to say nice things about the Force while we play a boring mind-numbing game and are the whipping boys of the competition. If we were to start playing an entertaining brand of rugby and are able to make the finals then the eastern states media and the likes of GAGR will start singing our praises, but not before.

If GAGR are holding out an olive branch then why not take it? Let's become more involved in the wider rugby community.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by todd4 View Post
    Perth may be an isolated city but there is no need to have isolated mind-sets. I sometimes find it cringeworthy when some posters on here put on their tin-foil hats and bemoan 'their all against us'.
    HEY! No need to single me out

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Perhaps Rex would like the gig. If he's not blackballed on GAGR

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    he was given the DCM over there quite some time ago.They didn't like the expression "deadset".
    Deadset!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    That'll do me. Deadset.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    he was given the DCM over there quite some time ago.They didn't like the expression "deadset".
    Deadset!
    fair dinkum?

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    do I ever embellish the facts?

Last edited by brokendown gunfighter; 22-09-15 at 11:49.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Deadset!
    I just used "deadset" over there a couple hours before you made that post!

One time only. And I'm not Rex in disguise. Honest, guv.

...Anyways, the Spirit boys get few a starts and honourable mentions in the Team of the Week as nominated by the GAGR writers.

vCash
    do I ever embellish the facts?
    no I meant what are their thoughts on "fair dinkum"

vCash
    Good to RugbyReg respectfully raise this issue on twf.

G&GR genuinely wants to see better coverage of the Western Force/Perth Spirit matches.

Matt and Reg in particular has tried to encourage new WF/PS contributors for the last couple of years.

I'm going to still be providing my ruck stats but would like to see people with better rugby heads/experience than me to write the reviews.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Some Spirited performances, not least from young Brad Lacey as below, see some recognition on G&G's TOTW.

This coming Sunday we should get another. Okay? Deadset.

11. BRAD LACEY (PERTH SPIRIT) – 1

Lacey, an Australian Under 20 winger this year, made an impact on the game early with a try saving tackle on former Wallaby Dom Shipperley. It was a massive play as were his two tries later in the first half. Lacey has many fans in the west waiting for him to get his Super Rugby chance. This match showed why. Rays speedy winger John Porch scored two tries and showed off his lightning pace in an eye catching game against the Vikings.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2