Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Japan to miss Super Rugby in 2016

vCash

Japan to miss Super Rugby in 2016

JAPAN’S hopes of making it to the starting line of Super Rugby next year still appear doomed, and their downfall may see the Southern Kings withdraw from the expanded competition as well.

Japan’s new franchise has struggled to get off the ground this year due to an inability to sign players, and a lack of co-operation from the wealthy Top League clubs.

SANZAR grew so concerned about the viability of Japan’s team they began modelling alternate plans for the 2016 competition last month.

The JRFU responded by meeting a SANZAR deadline on August 31 and providing SANZAR with a list of 20 contracted players but it is understood the list has done nothing to allay fears of the franchise being seriously uncompetitive.

With Eddie Jones moving on, the Japanese side is struggling to appoint a coach and several Australian players have turned down approaches as well.

Sources say SANZAR taking back the Super Rugby licence from Japan is a matter of when, not if. They may get another chance to enter in 2017.

That decision could have significant knock-on effects.

It is understood the Southern Kings are also struggling to put together a competitive team and SARU are concerned they don’t have the depth to field a sixth team. The Kings came last in their sole season in Super Rugby in 2013 before being relegated again.

It is a politically charged issue, however, and SARU would have to convince the South African government to press pause on the return of the Kings.

Japan’s withdrawal leaves 17 teams and an ugly mess of a competition, however, and that could help SARU convince the government to approve a later addition of the Kings as well.

Argentina, who are steaming ahead, would be the only expansion side in a perfectly balanced 16-team competition.

Meanwhile, World Rugby boss Brett Gosper confirmed that South Africa and Italy will be looked at to host the 2019 World Cup if host nation Japan fail to prove they remain a viable option to run the tournament by the end of this month.

http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/rugb...-1227521800001

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Super 16? Sounds good.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    What a f@ck-up. That is all.

Why would any career Rugby person, player coach or staff want to hitch up to a side that will have to contend with the most ridiculous travel requirements in the history of sport. Little wonder they can't sign people. The whole shemozzle demonstrates how dysfunctional SANZAR actually is.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Indeed, and to put up with allowing South Africa's political problems to directly affect New Zealand and Australian rugby too.

I honestly thought Japan would have had the least problems securing players as their clubs have the financial power to compete with Europe and their best players all play in Japan. I really thought Argentina, with it's top players all at European clubs, would have been the one to struggle. Maybe having the Japan Top-League teams have a stake in the Super Franchise would have been a better way to go? I have no idea...

Wonder what a Super 16 would look like with no conferences and one round for everyone? Or is that travel factor far too insane?

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    Wonder what a Super 16 would look like with no conferences and one round for everyone?
    It would have its positives, but it would probably just be for the one year. It would be interesting to see just which teams happened to get the Argentinean team as the one-off away game...

vCash
    Must admit, despite wanting them in the Tri-Nations for years, I've never been a fan of Argentina being in Super Rugby. I've always wanted open eligibility exemptions for Argentinian players instead. But the fact that they've really done such a good job of administering the team, has totally changed my mind about them.

I was actually all for Japan, but I never envisioned them turning into this mess.

Wonder if Akihito Yamada might get a run with the Force next year after all?!

vCash
    I hope this gets rid of the whole conference business. I would still love to see the whole Swhatever played home and way fixtures and a then a four way play off. Far to simple though.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Freaken Logistics man :/

vCash
    This could be the breaking of Super rugby as now Fox have a option to reduce the funding and the ARU won't have the funds to pass on and Clubs might have to find funds else where

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    What a f@ck-up. That is all.

Why would any career Rugby person...contend with the most ridiculous travel requirements... Little wonder they can't sign people.
    Sorry,which team are you talking about?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonkar View Post
    This could be the breaking of Super rugby as now Fox have a option to reduce the funding and the ARU won't have the funds to pass on and Clubs might have to find funds else where
    I don't know that this would be the case.
    as far as I know each province is funded separately. Fox fund the Aus conference on what they bring to the table. If Japan don't make it and the Kings withdraw then the only conference this would affect would be South Africa. They're the ones that would get less money.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MI5_Dog View Post
    the only conference this would affect would be South Africa. They're the ones that would get less money.
    Is it just me or does anybody else find that freakin' hilarious.....maybe they could spit their dummy and threaten to go play in eourope again.

C'mon the

vCash
    It effects everyone.
    Less games on TV means fox has to pay for other programs. Everyone gets less money

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    It effects everyone.
    Less games on TV means fox has to pay for other programs. Everyone gets less money
    I haven't done the sums, but I would think that the missing games would be pretty easy to drum up.

Idea on, get rid of the stupid conference system and have everybody play everybody else once........if that doesn't work, bring back the home derbies.....if it still isn't enough, add an 8 team finals series

see! It's not rocket surgery is it?

C'mon the

vCash
    Japan have been confirmed as being part of the ZA conference. Fixtures out in 5
    Mins

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast