Thread: STANDER EXTENDS WESTERN FORCE STAY TO 2017

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

STANDER EXTENDS WESTERN FORCE STAY TO 2017

WESTERN FORCE MEDIA RELEASE
    Thursday, 10 September 2015

Abrasive Western Force back-rower Brynard Stander has recommitted to the club for a further two seasons.

The Durban-born, former Natal Sharks representative joined the Western Force for the 2014 Asteron Life Super Rugby season, and has amassed 20 caps for the Western Australian club over the past two seasons.

The versatile back-rower, renowned for his strong defence and high work rate, has been a regular fixture in the Western Force’s match day squad for the past two years.

The re-signing follows the news of Francois van Wyk and Marcel Brache's recommitment last week, and coincides with the start of the Western Force’s membership season, with a range of new membership options and improvements – including free memberships for children under 16, and priority access to the Wallabies Test match at the ‘Force Field’ (nib Stadium) – for the 2016 Asteron Life Super Rugby season.

Stander, whose 2015 campaign was disrupted by ankle and shoulder injuries, says he’s excited about continuing with the Western Force.

“The first two years here have flown by and it’s great to have another chance to stay on,” he said. “Personally, I didn’t feel like I had the best season last year with it being disrupted by injuries, so it’s great that the boys and coaches have the faith to re-sign me and I’m very keen to start season fresh and repay that faith.

“I’m very excited about the next two seasons. I love living in Perth, I feel like I’ve settled here well and this has become home for me now.

“This is a great squad to be a part of and I feel like we have a really good balance in our dynamic back row.

“After debriefing our last season, we recognise how important it is that we’re carrying the right attitude into every contest next season. While we were obviously disappointed, it’s only made us more hungry for next year when we get a chance to make it right.”

Western Force Head Coach Michael Foley says Stander is a member of a high-quality back-row unit at the club.

“Brynard’s power and physicality are a point of difference and over the last two seasons, he’s developed a good understanding of all three back row roles,” he said. “He has a burning desire to win and an ambition to see the club become successful.”

Western Force memberships are now available for the 2016 season! Click here for more information or to get yours now!

Name: Brynard Stander
    Born: 27/04/1990, Durban (South Africa)
    Position: No.8/flanker
    Club: Nedlands
    Height: 190cm
    Weight: 97kg
    Super Rugby caps: 20
    Super Rugby points: 5 (1 try)
    Super Rugby debut: 2014 v Waratahs, Sydney
    Representative Rugby: 2014-2015 Western Force, 2014 Perth Spirit, 2012-2013 Sharks (Vodacom Cup), 2012 Sharks (Currie Cup), 2011 Sharks Under 21, 2008-2009 Sharks Under 19

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    As I said in my other post, fantastic news.

A season without injury and some barnstorming runs with Benny Mac will give us some go forward.

Roll on 2016.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Am very happy with this news, but also a bit surprised; thought he may consider his way blocked by too many others, seeing as we can field two different back-rows of considerable talent, eg: Mafi - Hodgo - McCalman, or Alcock - Koteka - Cottrell

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Rookie
    vCash
    Always liked the way he played off the bench. Ten minutes extra per match would have been better in my opinion. Bonus is I think he becomes a local after next year. I was worried we might lose both him and Van Wyk to the Kings as I have a high opinion of both players.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Am very happy with this news, but also a bit surprised; thought he may consider his way blocked by too many others, seeing as we can field two different back-rows of considerable talent, eg: Mafi - Hodgo - McCalman, or Alcock - Koteka - Cottrell
    I like that he stayed for this reason though. He knows the work he's going to have to do to get a starting spot, and to even keep a bench spot. So he gets a thumbs up from me for that. Our back row is going to continue to be a strength.

We just need to find a way to transfer the back row's work into effective back line moves now and we might actually be competitive next year.