Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2 new initiatives from the ARU

vCash

2 new initiatives from the ARU

The Horan-Little Shield
    Named after Wallaby legends and great mates Tim Horan and Jason Little and in consultation with Green and Gold Rugby, the Horan-Little Shield will be played for during the nine-week regular season. 2014 Buildcorp NRC minor premiers, Melbourne Rising, will be in possession of the Horan-Little Shield for the start of the campaign having gone undefeated for the regular season last year.

Melbourne Rising has confirmed the Horan-Little Shield will be put up for grabs in their opening clash when they take on Queensland Country at the Gold Coast this coming Sunday.

How the Horan-Little Shield will work:
    • Whoever holds the Horan-Little Shield is required to put it up for challenge at every home fixture.
    • For away fixtures, holders of the Horan-Little Shield may choose to accept challenges but are not obligated to do so.
    • In the event the holder wins two consecutive home games, or challenges, the Shield is then automatically up for challenge for each subsequent game the holder plays whether home or away.
    • The team holding the Shield at the end of the regular season (or finals game if they choose to play for the Shield then) will be the only team whose name is engraved on the Shield.
    Having been undefeated in the regular season of the 2014 Buildcorp NRC, the Melbourne Rising are designated inaugural Shield Holders and are awarded 1 (one) Horan-Little Shield win.

Australian Barbarians
    It was also announced today that an Australian Barbarians side – chosen from players playing in the Buildcorp NRC who were not contracted to Super Rugby franchises in 2015 – will take on a New Zealand Heartland XV in November.

The two-match series against a Heartland XV, selected from uncontracted Super Rugby players playing in the Heartland Championship, will take place at Levin Domain, Manawatu-Wanganui and Cooks Gardens, Wanganui on New Zealand’s North Island. Dates and kick-off times to be confirmed.

The selection committee for the Australian Barbarians will comprise of a panel chaired by Pathway Services Manager - Talent Development at the Australian Rugby Union, Adrian Thompson.

Rob Clarke, General Manager – Professional Rugby, Australian Rugby Union, said: “These new initiatives for season two of the Buildcorp NRC will generate significant interest and excitement around the competition.

"The Horan-Little Shield will give clubs another opportunity to win and show off some silverware while I’m sure the composition of the Australian Barbarians squad to tour New Zealand will be the source of plenty of discussion in living rooms, online and in pubs and clubs across the country.”

Broadcast details
    Last week, it was announced that FOX SPORTS would broadcast all 39 games of the 2015 Buildcorp National Rugby Championship LIVE on its suite of platforms. Each week, FOX SPORTS Channel 502 will show one game LIVE each Thursday with the three remaining clashes from the round will be streamed LIVE via foxsports.com.au (web and mobile) and FOX SPORTS Now via Apple TV.

The Australian Rugby Union also confirmed that the law variations successfully introduced in 2014 will remain unchanged for the forthcoming season.

Round One of the 2015 Buildcorp National Rugby Championship kicks off on Thursday 20 August when Brisbane City take on Perth Spirit at Ballymore Stadium (kick off 7.30pm). The North Harbour Rays entertain the Sydney Stars on Saturday 22 August (kick 3.00pm) at Manly Oval while the NSW Country Eagles travel to Merrylands RSL Park to take on the Greater Sydney Rams (kick off 3.00pm). Queensland Country play the Melbourne Rising in the final game of the round on Sunday 23 August at Bond University on the Gold Coast (kick off 3.30pm).

http://www.rugby.com.au/nrc/ArticleD...unleashed.aspx

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Australian Barbarians game is a good idea.

vCash
    I like both initiatives, but however disagree that the Rising are awarded the win of a Shield that did not exist.
    They might have coughed up a game had they had the pressure of retaining the shield if it existed last year!

vCash
    The "horan-little" shield?
    Yes I know it's the blokes names but did they think about just how stupid that sounds?

Rookie
    vCash
    Pity Tim Horan is such a toss-pot

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Why were those two chosen? Have they each made a particularly significant contribution to third tier/ grass roots rugby? Or is it because one is an employee for the broadcaster of the NRC and the other his very good mate?

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taylor View Post
    Are you suggesting a cup would be more appropriate than a shield?

C'mon the

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yungfen View Post
    I like both initiatives, but however disagree that the Rising are awarded the win of a Shield that did not exist.
    They might have coughed up a game had they had the pressure of retaining the shield if it existed last year!
    I sort of see your point, but the whole nature of the concept is for one team to have possession and other teams must "take it" from them. Please explain how your concept would work if Melbourne doesn't start with it! (or who should have started with it?)

vCash
    First winner at home in round 1?

The issue is that nobody gets their name engraved on the trophy until the end of the season, so Melbourne would be as good a choice as any to start with the shield, but nobody gets their name until a season has run with it in place.

That would be fairer, but they're probably just trying to buy another couple of supporters in Melbourne cheap.

C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    The "horan-little" shield?
    Yes I know it's the blokes names but did they think about just how stupid that sounds?
    I agree it is a strange choice. I thought green and gold rugby were pushing for the "shawn Mackay" shield after the brumbies player who died in South africa. Seems more meaningful to me

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    I'm still not sure about having "initiative" and "ARU" in the same sentence

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WF2006 View Post
    I sort of see your point, but the whole nature of the concept is for one team to have possession and other teams must "take it" from them. Please explain how your concept would work if Melbourne doesn't start with it! (or who should have started with it?)
    Fair point WF2006 and I totally agree that it should start with them, however it seems like they are being awarded their name on the Trophy for 2014 and having won it once - "Having been undefeated in the regular season of the 2014 Buildcorp NRC, the Melbourne Rising are designated inaugural Shield Holders and are awarded 1 (one) Horan-Little Shield win." This is the bit that I disagree with....

vCash
    You're missing the point.
    The Horan-little shield (while a stupid name) is about giving the competition more to fight for & more to win. So what if it's retrospective. From reading it, I would say it's going to change hands this season

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taylor View Post
    Totally agree why Horan and why Little ???

Champion
    vCash
    Isn't that the same format as the Ranfurly Shield in NZ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast