Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Wallabies v All Blacks - Bledisloe 1 - 2015

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Wallabies v All Blacks - Bledisloe 1 - 2015

Simmons out of Wallabies' Test

AAP
    August 3, 2015, 9:43 am

Wallabies coach Michael Cheika faces a difficult selection problem after lineout general Rob Simmons was ruled out of Saturday's Rugby Championship decider against New Zealand in Sydney.

Simmons is to undergo wrist surgery for a scaphoid injury and will also miss next week's Bledisloe Cup Test in Auckland but he is expected to make a full recovery before the Wallabies take on the USA in Chicago in the lead up to the World Cup starting next month.

Simmons, a veteran of 52 Tests, has been Australia's lineout caller and leading jumper and Cheika will be forced to carefully weigh his options before selecting his locks to face the world champion All Blacks.

He has the choice of two veterans in former skipper James Horwill and Dean Mumm to replace Simmons and could also drop non-jumping giant lock Will Skelton to start both of them in the second row.

After struggling for form this year, Horwill impressed when he came off the bench in last month's Test win over South Africa in Brisbane.

Recently returned from an overseas stint, Mumm was just as impressive off the bench in the victory against Argentina in Mendoza a week ago.

"Obviously we're all disappointed to lose Rob," said Wallabies coach Cheika.

"We've been able to build some real depth in the lock position, and Rob's injury presents an opportunity for another player in the squad to stake their claim."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...allabies-test/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    mumm and Horwill aren't up to the task against the Kiwi boys.....but they're the best options in the squad at the moment.

When does Kane Douglas become eligible?

Should we bring in Like Jones, Adam Colemen, Rory Arnold or any one of the other promising young locks floating around the country.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Jones, Adam Colemen, Rory Arnold should all be in the squad IMO.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    Jones, Adam Colemen, Rory Arnold should all be in the squad IMO.
    For what it's worth ...I agree

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Bledisloe Cup: Former Bulldogs pair to come back to bite Wallabies

Jamie Pandaram
    The Daily Telegraph
    August 06, 2015 6:37AM

ONE was just named in the Bulldogs’ team of the decade, and the other was their star junior destined for NRL greatness before switching back to rugby, and now Sonny Bill Williams and Nehe Milner-Skudder are set to torment the Wallabies at familiar haunting ground ANZ Stadium.

Williams and Milner-Skudder have been selected to start for the All Blacks in the Rugby Championship decider, with the latter to make his Test debut starting on the right wing.

Both have come through the Bulldogs rugby league system to reach the pinnacle of rugby; pulling on the famous black jersey.

While Williams has previously carved up Australia’s defence, Milner-Skudder has yet to be tried at Test level.

He did show during a superb season in Super Rugby for the Hurricanes that he can one of the trickiest players to tackle in the world, and having been brought into the All Blacks’ inner sanctum the 24-year-old has won the faith of officials.

All Blacks assistant coach Ian Foster said: “What he’s learnt is a little bit about what it means to be an All Black.

“When we bring new guys in we like to take our time a little bit to make sure they’re clear about that before they go out on the park and to make sure that when they go out on the park, they know how we want to play so they can go out and trust their instinct.”

If Williams starts at No.12, he could be marked by Australia’s returning veteran Matt Giteau - himself a promising league junior who chose the 15-man game.

“It will be huge, he’s a great sporting talent and everyone knows what he’s capable of doing,” Giteau said of a possible showdown with SBW.

“The depth they’ve got at inside centre is unbelievable.”

New Zealand: Ben Smith, Nehe Milner-Skudder, Conrad Smith, Sonny Bill Williams, Julian Savea, Dan Carter, Aaron Smith, Kieran Read, Richie McCaw (captain), Jerome Kaino, Luke Romano, Brodie Retallick, Owen Franks, Dane Coles, Tony Woodcock.

Reserves: Codie Taylor, Ben Franks, Nepo Laulala, Sam Whitelock, Sam Cane, T.J. Perenara, Beauden Barrett, Malakai Fekitoa.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/bl...-1227471593686

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    When does Kane Douglas become eligible?
    I'd assume as soon as he signs with the ARU or has a state contract registered with the ARU?

Another factor might be the actual timing of his release.

vCash
    He signed for the reds last week, so he should already be eligible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    The contract would need to be ratified quickly by the ARU for him to become eligible for the Wallabies.

Of course, since the ARU are the ones who bought him for Queensland I don't think that'll be a huge obstacle.

C'mon the

vCash
    That's what I thought.

Was it an immediate release that he obtained?

vCash
    Yep

vCash
    Hooper and Pocock to start for Qantas Wallabies against New Zealand in Rugby Championship decider

Qantas Wallabies Head Coach Michael Cheika has announced a revamped line-up for The Rugby Championship decider and Bledisloe Cup clash against New Zealand at ANZ Stadium on Saturday night.

For the first time in their Test careers, Michael Hooper and David Pocock have been named in the starting line-up together, with Hooper returning to the run-on side at openside flanker and Pocock in the number eight jersey.

Wallabies Head Coach Michael Cheika said: “Australian Rugby is very fortunate to have some quality flankers competing for the number seven jumper.

“Both players have been in outstanding form for club and country this season and have shown their class in sharing the spot in the first two matches.

“They now have an opportunity to start a Test together which they are very excited about."

In another key milestone for the Qantas Wallabies, Scott Sio will make his run-on debut at loosehead prop after a pair of impressive cameos from the reserves bench in Brisbane and Mendoza, and a strong training camp.

“We have been impressed with Scott since joining the Wallabies group and he has worked extremely hard to put himself in this position," said Cheika.

Matt Giteau returns from injury for his first start against New Zealand since 2011. The 93-Test veteran will join Bernard Foley and Tevita Kuridrani in the Wallabies midfield.

Dean Mumm’s rise since returning from European Rugby continues, with the mobile lock moving in to the starting side to replace Will Skelton, who has been moved to the reserves bench for the first time this season.

Drew Mitchell will get his first opportunity in the Wallabies starting XV this international season, joining Adam Ashley-Cooper and Israel Folau in the Wallabies back three.

Australia and New Zealand both sit on nine competition points on The Rugby Championship table, with the match at ANZ Stadium this Saturday deciding the victor of the tournament for 2015.

Tickets for The Rugby Championship decider and opening Bledisloe Cup clash on Saturday, August 8, start from just $45 and are available at ticketek.com.au.

Final Round of The Rugby Championship: Qantas Wallabies team to play New Zealand at ANZ Stadium, Saturday 8 August 2015, 8:05pm (local time)

1. Scott Sio (Brumbies - 7 Tests)
    2. Stephen Moore, C (Brumbies - 94 Tests)
    3. Sekope Kepu (Waratahs - 54 Tests)
    4. Dean Mumm (Waratahs - 34 Tests)
    5. James Horwill (Reds - 59 Tests)
    6. Scott Fardy (Brumbies - 21 Tests)
    7. Michael Hooper, VC (Waratahs - 43 Tests)
    8. David Pocock (Brumbies - 48 Tests)
    9. Nick Phipps (Waratahs - 30 Tests)
    10. Bernard Foley (Waratahs - 19 Tests)
    11. Drew Mitchell (Toulon - 64 Tests)
    12. Matt Giteau (Toulon - 93 Tests)
    13. Tevita Kuridrani (Brumbies - 22 Tests)
    14. Adam Ashley-Cooper, VC (Waratahs - 106 Tests)
    15. Israel Folau (Waratahs - 31 Tests)

Reserves

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau (Waratahs - 51 Tests)
    17. James Slipper (Reds - 65 Tests)
    18. Greg Holmes (Reds - 15 Tests)
    19. Will Skelton (Waratahs - 10 Tests)
    20. Ben McCalman (Force - 39 Tests)
    21. Nic White (Brumbies - 20 Tests)
    22. Matt Toomua (Brumbies - 23 Tests)
    23. Kurtley Beale (Waratahs- 50 Tests)

http://www.rugby.com.au/News/NewsArt...p-decider.aspx

vCash
    Yep
    Then we're back to square one.

Quiet day at work so I'll go find something else to hypothesise about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post

Quiet day at work so I'll go find something else to hypothesise about.
    Wanna swap?
    Come deal with an indignant & petulant beagle.
    Seriously I don't need to be able to talk dog to know I was told to go f**k myself

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    That looks like pretty much the best team we can put on the pitch at the moment, given injuries and availability. The only possible improvement I can see is replacing Adam Ashley-Cooper with a younger, faster winger, however you couldn't call that conclusive.

There is also the option of running some of the young locks out, but even I would question the wisdom of that against the AllBlacks.

That being said. All logic and reason suggests that we're still rooted come Saturday night.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    That looks like pretty much the best team we can put on the pitch at the moment, given injuries and availability. The only possible improvement I can see is replacing Adam Ashley-Cooper with a younger, faster winger, however you couldn't call that conclusive.

There is also the option of running some of the young locks out, but even I would question the wisdom of that against the AllBlacks.

That being said. All logic and reason suggests that we're still rooted come Saturday night.
    I've always been a big fan of AAC. But him against Milner-Skudder & Savea is going to be interesting. Those are some fast wings!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast