Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Wallabies v All Blacks - Bledisloe 1 - 2015

vCash
    Ruck Involvement Statistics as follows:

Remember:
    1. Early means 1st or 2nd of player’s team AFTER the ball carrier has been tackled and brought to ground.
    2. Impact means active engagement: strong physical contact, changed shape of ruck, clean-out, protecting ball etc. (more than hand on someone’s bum or arriving after the hard work has been done). Yes it’s subjective - but as I collect all data at least it’s consistent.
    3. Impact DOES NOT equate to Effectiveness. I’ve concluded that coming up with an effectiveness measure is just too hard in the time that I have available – but open to suggestions.

Attachment 3978

Attachment 3973

BACKS
    Strong ruck involvement again by Kuridrani and AAC.
    The Backs had 91 ruck involvements (75 Attack/16 Defence)
    i.e. 26% of Total Ruck involvements and 21% of Defensive Rucks.
    The 4 backs above made 75% of the ruck involvement by Backs.

MOM
    Despite Tim Horan's comments at the end of the match that "Hooper was everywhere", IMO, David Pocock was clearly the MOM.

+ Pocock had nearly DOUBLE the ruck involvements of Hooper.
    + Both players earned 2 Turn Overs Won and conceded 2 Penalties
    + Pocock had the superior running game with 11 runs for 34m, 2 Def Beaten, 1 Clean Break, 4 Passes compared to Hooper's 10 runs for 18m, 1 Def Beaten, 0 CB, 1 Pass.
    + Hooper had the slightly better tackling game with 11 tackles at 100%; Pocock made 8 tackles/1 Missed Tackle (89%).

Other Comments:
    1. Another solid performance from Mr Dependable, Scott Fardy. Workhorse at the rucks, 11 runs for 21m, 7 tackles and most Line Out wins (4).
    2. Commendable defensive efforts from Dean Mumm and James Horwill (rucks and tackles). 3 Line Outs lost.
    3. Great ruck and tackle involvement by the bench Forwards - especially Slipper & Holmes.
    4. Other Statistics can be found at ESPN Scrum or on the Super Rugby (TRC) websites.

Attachment 3974

Attachment 3975

Comments
    1. Both sides standing off Defensive Rucks to about the same extent.
    2. Note the similarity between Pocock and McCaw's ruck stats.
    3. Scott Fardy certainly out-performed any of his AB counterparts.
    4. Mumm and Horwill matched Retallick and Romano/Whitelock.
    5. Surprisingly, when compared to previous 2 games in TWC, apart from Woodcock the AB front row fairly subdued.
    6. AB Backs involved in only 16% (44) of Total Ruck involvements; 10% (7) of Def Ruck involvements.
    7. C Smith and Carter's rucks were 52% of AB Back involvement.
    8. ESPN Stats advise that Wallabies won 107 of 108 Rucks (99%) and ABs won 69 of 74 Rucks (93%).
    9. I'll post similar data for Bled 2.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by andrewg; 10-08-15 at 16:44.

Player
    vCash
    An excellent win, on the back of some physicality and pressure at the breakdown.
    Things of concern still is the 9/10 positions.
    Phipps was again exposed as being out of his depth, not able to handle the increased speed of an international. Poor decision making which was probably not helped by the shocking game Foley had.
    Foley's kicking was terrible, standing far to deep at the breakdown, slow decision making and when he did run which was rare it was across the field.
    Toomua had a very classy game when he came on and really gave the backline more direction and options. He may be the ultimate answer at 10 with Giteau at 12.
    1/2 Back is where we will struggle unless White continues to improve and can play a starting game the same way he played last night. His biggest problem when starting is he wants to spend too much time disagreeing with the Ref, watching the opposition No9 and not playing his game. Outside backs were all solid and did a good job.
    Forwards were good with the scrum, not so good with the lineouts. Good with the rucks and mauls both attack and defence. They failed to get too much go forward when running with the ball. This was not easy with the line speed that the All Blacks showed. No bad performances, and no passengers this week which was really noticeable.
    Looking forward to see how next week unfolds with the selections, how they cope with the All Blacks after revenge, and a hostile Eden Park Crowd.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Part of me wants to lose, so that the Blacks go to RWC as arrogant and complascent as they were last night...it'll make us hungrier too. I'd postpone a bledisloe for a year to win Bill back!
    Wouldn't a draw be hilarious?

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    Wouldn't a draw be hilarious?
    It would be absolutely......satisfactory. I might be an old fart, well actually that's not in doubt; but given the choice of seeing Moore lift the Bledisloe next week or Bill in October, I'd take the former every day of the week.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Champion
    vCash
    David Pocock was sensational, my MOM. Would like to see Toomua start at 10 and Gits at 12. Just about the whole team were great. Made up a little bit for losing the Ashes

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    + Pocock had nearly DOUBLE the ruck involvements of Hooper.
    + Both players earned 2 Turn Overs Won and conceded 2 Penalties
    + Pocock had the superior running game with 11 runs for 34m, 2 Def Beaten, 1 Clean Break, 4 Passes compared to Hooper's 10 runs for 18m, 1 Def Beaten, 0 CB, 1 Pass.
    + Hooper had the slightly better tackling game with 11 tackles at 100%; Pocock made 8 tackles/1 Missed Tackle (89%).
    I think the Hooper Pocock experiment was a complete success. Hooper is never going to commit to the ruck enough for an International forward, much less a 7, but the selection was a good one and it was the right call to have Hooper off the scrum first, because he was looking to be the tackler.

You can see the results (marginally) in the stats, with Pocock dominating the rucks and Hooper providing a strong tackling game. The impact on the game though was much more marked than those stats indicate. Hooper was a dependable stop-gap in the middle of the field, making many of his tackles WAY over the gain line....this game we didn't have to compromise the breakdown for that to occur, because Pocock was immovable there, sometimes taking on two and three blokes on his own.

I don't see how we can change the pack for next week....suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by PerthGirl View Post
    David Pocock was sensational, my MOM. Would like to see Toomua start at 10 and Gits at 12.
    +1

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    mumm and Horwill aren't up to the task against the Kiwi boys.....but they're the best options in the squad at the moment.
    All logic and reason suggests that we're still rooted come Saturday night.
    Feel any differently about either of these lines since the game

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Feel any differently about either of these lines since the game
    Not really, the all logic and reason quote was true, but (if I didn't actually write it) I was thinking that hope still springs....

Mumm and Horwill didn't have a great night in the lineout, but proved themselves to be the right choice since they did enough.

I still stand by both comments and repeat them this week (but hope springs etc.)

C'mon the

vCash
    Mumm and Horwill didn't have a great night in the lineout, but proved themselves to be the right choice since they did enough.
    Distribution of Line Out results was very interesting:

Wallabies - Won 7 Lost 3 (70%)
    Fardy - 4W
    Mumm - 2W
    Horwill - 1W
    The Line Outs lost were:
    +Romano v Horwill
    +Read v Fardy
    +Kaino from Overthrow by Moore (It was actually McCaw).

All Blacks - Won 8 Lost 0 (100%)
    Read - 4W, 1S
    Kaino - 3W, 1S
    Romano - 0W, 1S
    Retallick - 0W
    Barrett - 1W (Overthrow)

Of the 18 Line Outs - only 4 were actually taken by Locks.
    13 were won (11) or stolen (2) by Back Rowers.
    (Perhaps the art of deception??)

Note:
    Against the Boks: Fardy 6W; Simmons 4W; Skelton 1W. (100%)
    Against Pumas: Simmons 7W, 1S; Fardy 2W. (90%)

Last edited by andrewg; 11-08-15 at 00:18.

vCash
    Yeah, but it's also about more than the lineout isn't it.

Locks have to push in the scrum, something which has been lacking up until Saturday (though likely not 100% the fault of the locks alone) and they have to provide the tough defense and solid running in general play.

If, along with all that, they have the skills to dance down the wing like Christian Cullen or slip a magical offload like Bernie Larkham...well that's awesome, but it's a bonus, not a reason for selection.

I have to say, I was hugely critical of Dean Mumm's selection in this side, particularly in the circumstances it has occurred, but he (essentially alone) has been the answer. (OK maybe that is enhanced by the fact that he replaced Skelton and that is enough to make anyone look good)

I'd really like to see Mumm pair up with a dynamic younger lock.....I think Horwill is OK, but he's a known quantity and (IMHO) getting a little past his prime, whereas Mumm looks to have grown his game in Europe and might just be the steadying hand we needed in the second row.

C'mon the

vCash
    Yeah, but it's also about more than the lineout isn't it.

Locks have to push in the scrum, something which has been lacking up until Saturday
    Yes, but to be fair, we did have an extra player (black 7) assisting on our openside.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Senior Player
    vCash

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rookie
    vCash
    Anyone know why Ardie Savea was left of the AB's roster? I thought he was the most disruptive #7 in the SXV this season. I'm glad he wasn't playing

vCash
    According to a kiwi bloke on the train Eden Park is in Sydney and the All Blacks have only won there 3 times.

Australia got dis.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5