Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: PINDAN PREMIER GRADE PREVIEW: ROUND 17

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    there were no uncontested scrums--has it been officially declared a forfeit-or is this just some of rumour monger's work?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Looks like they got knocked over 45-3. Lost Reserves and forfeited the rest.
    Now tell me this.
    Wanneroo beat Soaks a couple of weeks ago, get beaten by Perth, Perth get flooged by Uni, Wanneroo give Kala a good run for their money yesterday, Wests scrape past Paly and so on.....How does this happen.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    its all in the tea leaves,wholetruth!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    its all in the tea leaves,wholetruth!
    Not sure about tea leaves but my nespresso pod tells me Kala will need to get a lot fitter before the finals after what I saw on Saturday.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    Not sure about tea leaves but my nespresso pod tells me Kala will need to get a lot fitter before the finals after what I saw on Saturday.
    So will your man Tetera Faulkner who got ripped a new one in scrum
    .was it 3 or 4 tightheads yous guys lost ??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Front 3 View Post
    Went to watch Uni v Perth. That might as well of been a forfeit.
    I'm disappointed for Baysie, obviously toward the end of a long season. I really hope they recruit well for next year.
    Looks like they already started, seen more new faces in the last month than any other side.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    Now tell me this.
    Wanneroo beat Soaks a couple of weeks ago, get beaten by Perth, Perth get flooged by Uni, Wanneroo give Kala a good run for their money yesterday, Wests scrape past Paly and so on.....How does this happen.
    I was going to add "from anyone who saw the match", rather than ask "can anyone parrot scores of the Rugby WA page for me?". I was interested in a little detail on the match from someone who saw it.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    So will your man Tetera Faulkner who got ripped a new one in scrum
    .was it 3 or 4 tightheads yous guys lost ??
    Apart from the fact that he's not "my man" and I don't follow any club your post is somewhat illiterate. Faulkner did not get moved even when the whole Kala scrum took a step to the side and put the pressure on illegally. The referee seemed to find a new way of policing the front row. That aside Kala were better in open play and that's where they were able to score against a ragged Dogs backline. There was a simple game plan of running your big No8 off you No10. But I'll say it again fitness will let Kala down.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Pindan Premier Grade – Round 17
    Cottesloe 31 defeated Associates 12 at Harvey Field, Cottesloe
    UWA 78 defeated Perth Bayswater 7 at McGillivray Oval, Mt Claremont
    Kalamunda 34 defeated Wanneroo 24 at Kingsway Reserve, Landsdale
    Nedlands 0 defeated Joondalup 0 (forfeit)
    Wests Scarborough 15 defeated Palmyra 13 at Tompkins Park, Alfred Cove

Cottesloe have kept their finals hopes alive with a 31-12 ‘Battle of Broome Street’ win over Associates at Harvey Field in Cottesloe.

The Gulls narrowly lead the contest 12-7 at half-time, with Soaks still hoping to steal a second half victory, before the Cottesloe attack scored three second half tries to seal it’s important win.

Cottesloe coach Ian Fowler, said his team was able to come through in what was a vital game to keep their finals hopes alive.

“It was a must win game for us, we have to win both our games to be sure of a spot [in the finals],” he said.

“To get a bonus point win was really nice, Soaks are a really tough side.

“We have faith in ourselves that we can play well, and score points against a good side.

“Kalamunda have been one of the inform sides, and going out there to play them wasn’t really what we wanted to have to do to make the four, but that’s the way it’s forming.

Cottesloe were dominant in the opening stages of the match, with their physical forward pack working the ball down the park and putting pressure on the Soaks defensive line. This opened an opportunity for Adrian Hall to charge the ball through to score a try off the back of a breakdown, putting the home side on the board. Charl Nieuwenhuis converted to take an early lead, 7-0.

Soaks later responded to the home sides opening surge, effectively using their quick and powerful backline to gain the majority of their metres. Tabbie Du Plessis soon crossed the line following a rolling maul to the left hand side of the posts. Matt Dreyer converted the kick, tying the game at 7-7.

Antini Brown scored the final points of the first half, by evading two defenders after catching a pass straight out of the breakdown, allowing him to cross the chalk and score. Charl Nieuwenhuis’ kick was unconverted, leaving Cottesloe’s lead at 12-7 heading into the half time break.

Associates began the second-half a step behind, with their star halfback Justin Turner leaving the game after sustaining a shoulder injury. This set back the Swanbourne-based sides attacking structure, preventing their rhythm and flow from the first half to carry on.

Cottesloe took control of possession in the second-half, spending a lot of time in their opponents 22, which soon lead to Rory Crowhen scoring off the back of a rolling maul. Charl Nieuwenhuis converted the kick extending the lead to 19-7.

However, Soaks made a late charge to keep their hopes of winning alive, with Johnny Ogilvy sparking a fire wagon run from the five metre line to burst through a defender and put his side within only seven points of tying up the match. Matt Dreyers conversion attempt was wide, 19-12.

Nili Fielea was able to begin Cottesloe’s last minute assault, with the home side scoring two tries in quick succession to diminish any hope of a Soaks comeback. Fielea scored after receiving an assist down the wing to dive into the corner for a try. Charl Nieuwenhuis converted the kick putting the score at 26-12.

Flanker and former Cottesloe captain Jarrett Budworth, scored the closing try of the match after a teammate broke the line, finding Budworth with the final offload. Charl Nieuwenhuis missed the conversion, putting the final score at 31-12 with Cottesloe leaving victorious and keeping their hopes of making the top four alive.

In yesterday’s other results, Wests Scarborough narrowly defeated Palmyra, 15-13; UWA proved much too strong for Perth Bayswater, 78-7 and Kalamunda continued their dominant end to the season defeating Waneroo 34-24.

Cottesloe 31 (Adrian Hall, Antini Brown, Rory Crowhen, Nili Fielea, Jarrett Budworth tries; Charl Nieuwenhuis 3 conversions) defeated Associates 12 (Tabbie Du Plessis, Johnny Ogilvy tries; Matt Dreyer conversion)

See more at: http://www.rugbywa.com.au/article/gu....IT1JpCKH.dpuf

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Player
    vCash
    One thing I have noticed is that towards the end of the season Rugby WA gets a little slacker in providing rugby supporters with up to date and accurate information. Results and tables are all over the place, no confirmation of where finals games are being played, 3rds 4ths and community rugby sides in the dark about their finals structures.
    Maybe I am looking in the wrong places but will we get any idea of the makeup of the Perth Spirit side before a game is played.

vCash
    Can someone please explain to me what happened with Nedlands Joondalup game? When we left at the end the score was 45-3 to Neddies, so when and how does the forfeit work?

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by choice View Post
    One thing I have noticed is that towards the end of the season Rugby WA gets a little slacker in providing rugby supporters with up to date and accurate information. Results and tables are all over the place, no confirmation of where finals games are being played, 3rds 4ths and community rugby sides in the dark about their finals structures.
    Maybe I am looking in the wrong places but will we get any idea of the makeup of the Perth Spirit side before a game is played.
    exactly right, the whole thing is a joke. I assumed that it was top 4 finals in 3rd and 4th grade but then we heard it is top 2 play top 2 in championship and then 3rd and 4th play 3rd and 4th in championship. Is that definitely the case, does anyone know? It would be nice to know 1 week before finals what the actual situation is!!

vCash
    Apologies for the format as I'm posting from my mobile.

At the most recent CRAC meeting it was discussed as to how finals will be arranged this year, in particular for the 3rd and 4th grade Premiership competitions and the Championship A and B grade competitions, where crossover games have been played throughout the season.

It has been determined as follows:

Minor Premiership Pennants and Cups will be awarded to each of the clubs who finish on top of each of the following competitions:
    Premiership 3rd grade
    Championship A grade
    Premiership 4th grade
    Championship B grade
    Combined 5th/C grade

The semi-final series of matches for these competitions will then be:

Open Grade Division One
    1st placed Premiership 3rd grade plays 2nd placed team from Championship A grade
    1st placed Championship A grade plays 2nd placed team from Premiership 3rd grade
    Open Grade Division Two
    3rd placed Premiership 3rd grade plays 5th placed Premiership 3rd grade
    3rd placed Championship A grade plays 4th placed Premiership 3rd grade
    Open Grade Division Three
    1st placed Premiership 4th grade plays 2nd placed team from Championship B grade
    1st placed Championship B grade plays 2nd placed team from Premiership 4th grade
    Open Grade Division Four
    3rd placed Premiership 4th grade plays 5th placed Premiership 4th Grade
    3rd placed Championship B Grade plays 4th placed Premiership 4th Grade
    Open Grade Division Five
    1st placed Prem 5th/Champ C grade plays 4th placed team from Prem 5th/Champ C grade
    2nd placed Prem 5th/Champ C grade plays 3rd placed team from Prem 5th/Champ C grade

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    thanks for that. Can't say I love it though. It means teams are going to be potentially playing in the finals against teams they have not played against for the whole year.

And the other thing is, if you finish 3rd on the ladder most teams would consider themselves a chance of winning the competition but this way you are put into a second rate finals series as opposed to playing the top 2 teams.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast